What is wrong with island 78!?! - rollback 2 weeks??!

Iluvatar

So, island 78 didn't survive the update yesterday, and 77 apparently fared even worse being reset to day 0.

Logged on this morning, thinking I had babies out, and we have what looks to be an 11 day rollback. Battlemetrics says there are two EU-PVE-OFFICIAL-THEISLAND-78 one with ID 3616765 on day 14312 and what I guess is the original with ID 73030 on day 14643.

What normally happens here? will the original server get restored at some point? who do we ask? Is anyone else from the '78 community on here can let me know what's likely to happen?

Anyone from Wildcard? throw us a bone here?

administrators removed more than 20 days of real time

by doing this action. roll back the server to a lot. 
very tangible. I built a large base during this time.

I was given new animals from other servers.

increased lvl
and for what?
so that everything is gone?
and lose everything?

so many labors in my vacation so that everything is lost?

was not spelled out.

there was no warning about this rollback.

I do not intend to tolerate it

I hope the developers see and correct. so as not to extremes this conflict

administrators removed more than 20 days of real time

by doing this action. roll back the server to a lot. 
very tangible. I built a large base during this time.

I was given new animals from other servers.

increased lvl
and for what?
so that everything is gone?
and lose everything?

so many labors in my vacation so that everything is lost?

was not spelled out.

there was no warning about this rollback.

I do not intend to tolerate it

I hope the developers see and correct. so as not to extremes this conflict

The reason this happened is that there are 2 PVE Island server 78s. The one that was rebooted is an earlier version., with a different IP address. The version they should have rebooted shows as dead.

You can see this at battlemetrics.

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark?q=78&features[0eff04dc-e9ce-11e8-8977-231f2f82f764]=true&features[2e079b9a-d6f7-11e7-8461-83e84cedb373]=true&sort=score

The server they booted up after the auto-decay update was the older version.

Someone else has mentioned this in this topic post.

https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/437271-island77-wiped-and-rollback-to-day-1/&do=findComment&comment=2484999

Here is what these 2 servers look like on battlemetrics:

The server 78 that you and I want rebooted:

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark/73030

And the server we now have instead (which is around 20 days older):

https://www.battlemetrics.com/servers/ark/3616765

I put in a report when it hadn't come back, around 3 hours after the update, but they rebooted the older server.

I didn't know there were 2 of them till recently.

We got the wrong one...

I just spotted this post from Cedric... so no hope of getting correct server date. He said they grabbed a date from earlier in the week, but May 7 isn't exactly earlier in the week is it? LOL

aint it the wildcard way? 

i noticed that srver 77 what was had also big damage that server shared same machine with 78

16 minutes ago, Iluvatar said:

Backup shoudby do any one day... so this backup is in  the same server as the game?!? Wow very smart

Any of you do that? important data archives on the same hard disk? :P - no comment WC, again you show as where you have mind...

for me seem that they had issues also with srver 77 and that shared same ip so i suggest both servers caught by same thing but unfortunately servers backups for 77 survived and 78 seems not. I think that 2 weeks old backup is backup of backups itself. Just like serious bad luck for 78 players.

sad, lost so many babies

This was Cedric's response

]Posted 14 hours ago

Update Concerning PC Servers: EU-PVE-Official-TheIsland78

Unfortunately, we have some news to share with survivors on EU-PVE-Official-TheIsland78. The machine housing these servers experienced a critical hardware failure. This means that the most recent save data on this machine was lost.

We do however have server backups from earlier in the week and have restored these servers to Tuesday, May 7, 2019. Any progress that was made after that date has unfortunately been lost.

• EU-PVE-Official-TheIsland78

so the recent server update or server start is gonna stay the same for now? or they gonna restart to the server to the 7th May. If that's so do I make a ticket to say that I'm no longer owner of my tribe and the character that is the owner is on another server and unable to join 78 only as a Beach Bob. God I love this game after almost hitting nearly 12,000 hours I'm inclined to call it a day, but why should I. Could some one save me from the embarrassment of walking naked as a bob on a beach one more time.

We can save you from being naked and alone, but you'd still be a Beach Bob  mate.

This needs WC to get your Char back so you have your Tribe, your base and all the stuff you worked so hard to build and tame back.

Come on WC help these guys out, 78 is a great friendly server. I hope this isn't going to break that camaraderie. Make it right please.

I have been away for a week. But coming back today and looking at this **** show. I can say as a network and server engineer that his is no hardware error. What I think happened is after the update that Adam did (ref Twitter) he overrode the server, with not taking a backup in the first place. Taking backup before update is a very common practice in patching, upgrading, etc. This is human error nr 1. So what happened furthermore? This new build without data was put on 78 without database conservation, this lead to a wipe of the servers. 

I have to say. This is the most sloppy engineer practice I have EVER, EVER seen in my life this far by a company. This is the mistakes you do in a 101 class at university.
And there is only 1 thread mentioning this mistake, it's tucked aside. Wildcard still don't get it, being open about issues leads to better communication with the community. 

I have reported several tickets on the official outrage report about server issues in the past, if this was a HW failure this should raised red flags. 
Wildcard not using the right tools to monitor. Please, for the love of your own dignity, please use SPLUNK to monitor the servers. 
And on the end of my rant, hire better people to do the server maintenance, hire people WITH knowledge of drifting servers, not people that struggle make ends meet

Archived