Ark questions!

Ark questions!

Hi! So I'm planning on buying Ark: Survival Evolved soon, and I had a few questions before I dive in!

(Keep in mind I have been playing Ark: Mobile for a year and have been watching experienced Ark Youtubers for around a year and a half)

1 - How long did it take you to learn how to play?

2 - I'm thinking about starting on Ragnarok (I know it's huge but that's why I love it), but should I wait before adding the DLC?

3 - Which is your favorite DLC (For future servers)?

Thank you if you reply! It's less for help and more like a poll.

Hi,

I'm still learning new things I have played over 4700 hours. Each time I play I have a goal in mind for the time I have to play so I don't get bored or end up wondering what to do.

I love ragnarok. Have played on all maps available on Xbox so no mods etc, but ragnarok is a beautiful map with the island creatures and scorched earth creatures. Except the phoenix which I never saw on scorched as far as I know only available to scorched earth too. The Griffin is a great mount I find useful for taking on taming missions as you can shoot while flying which is available on ragnarok. 

Loved scorched earth for the weather and the hazards starting out as a new character. But I got bored fast. My own fault I adjusted my settings too much and made the game too easy. I learnt that later. So this map will be my next run through or a much higher difficulty.

I'm a fan of the breeding in ark. Happy for a coloured mutation but more focused on boss army's and gathering Dino's so tend to kill quite a few pretty animals if they don't have the correct stat mutations.

I play single player as I'm not mentally strong enough to engage in the PvP aspect and I'm quite the dizzy type I would end up blowing myself up with c4, and I'm too antisocial to join in the pve servers haha. 

I too watch quite a few YouTubers I'm an avid fan of the neebs gaming channel. Who do you watch?

I started solo with one other player in a private server.  We played for two weeks and still didn't know 99% of what was going on.   Our entire stomping grounds were about as large as a modern day tek base.

Then I started jumping into PvP servers.  Took me about two months playing solo but watching and talking to other players to learn about all the other game mechanics, dinos, etc..

One month in an Alpha tribe and I learned a ton about late-game content and real PvP/raid mechanics.

2 more years of playing and I'm still figuring stuff out.  At this point, most of my advancements are related towards doing everything faster and more efficiently.

1. This really depends on how quickly you want to progress through content. I have around 2k hours and am still learning. I play single player mode now due to time constraints. Started Ark back when I was unemployed. It's can be a huge time sink.

2. Once you go to Ragnarok you will not want to go back to the Island. I suggest playing the Island first. 

3. My favorite of the storyline maps is Scorched Earth.

1) not long, died a lot, but every death was a learning experience. 

2) Ragnarok is a good map to start on to be honest,  you not only have all the base dinos but every type of wyvern that you can get there and griffons.

3) If I honestly had to pick one of all of them as a favorite, it would be the free DLC map, Ragnarok even though my main base is on the Island.  If I would have to pick one of the paid DLC as a favorite, that's a tough choice because they all have their positive and negative sides, but out of the 3, extinction due to it having the most wide range of dinos in it, including dinos from scorched earth, having the forest biome, desert biome, and snow biome besides the city and corrupted zones, not to mention if you want to be able to build any of the tek gear, Extinction is a must.

on another note:

The storyline in the game is pretty nice, if you follow it, but it really doesn't have any direction to tell you which path you should take so that you know your getting the story bits in order, that's the only drawback I see with it.

11 hours ago, CorruptionInTheSystem said:

Thank you all for your answers! It is deeply appreciated. I think I'll start on Ragnarok and possibly give you guys updates once I get the game and download the DLC.

Will you be playing Official? If so, you should do a lot of research on which server you pick.

- Ragnarok is one of the more popular maps, so it is at dino cap fairly often. If there is a breeding event going on, you can forget about raising or taming on your server during that time.

- Ragnarok can be toxic. Depending on which server you join, it will be full of wanna be alphas, even on PvE. These guys will go out of their way to prove they are better than you, even though you are a newbie. Conversations can be very toxic and you may decide to disable your chat.

You should create a character on the server you want and just hang out for a bit watching chat, asking questions... just to get a feel for the community. Please do this before you invest any time on the server. I would hate to see you quit right after you buy it, because of your choice of server.

16 hours ago, CorruptionInTheSystem said:

Ark questions!

Hi! So I'm planning on buying Ark: Survival Evolved soon, and I had a few questions before I dive in!

(Keep in mind I have been playing Ark: Mobile for a year and have been watching experienced Ark Youtubers for around a year and a half)

I've been playing since it came out on PS4 (over 2 years ago.)  I have at least 2500 hours in this game. And I still learn new things on a regular basis. But,  I would say it took me a month to really start to feel comfortable, and learn the limitations of my character and my dinos.  of course I still die now and then. 

2 - I'm thinking about starting on Ragnarok (I know it's huge but that's why I love it), but should I wait before adding the DLC?

I started on the Island, then eventually moved to Scorched, then to The Center, Ragnarok, Abberation, Extinction.    I hated Abberation, and barely played it.  

Ragnarok I have spent by far the most time on.  But I would really recommend that you start on The Island. Wait on ragnarok for a while.  Like as a kid, you would save the biggest Xmas gift for last.

Ragnarok.  But I also enjoy the variety of Extinction.

Thank you if you reply! It's less for help and more like a poll.

9 hours ago, JSacra said:

Will you be playing Official? If so, you should do a lot of research on which server you pick.

- Ragnarok is one of the more popular maps, so it is at dino cap fairly often. If there is a breeding event going on, you can forget about raising or taming on your server during that time.

- Ragnarok can be toxic. Depending on which server you join, it will be full of wanna be alphas, even on PvE. These guys will go out of their way to prove they are better than you, even though you are a newbie. Conversations can be very toxic and you may decide to disable your chat.

You should create a character on the server you want and just hang out for a bit watching chat, asking questions... just to get a feel for the community. Please do this before you invest any time on the server. I would hate to see you quit right after you buy it, because of your choice of server.

Hi! So I'd like to say that I will not be moving to a server. This is mainly for single player use, and if I am going to use it on a server it would most likely be private/unofficial (just for me and my sister).

2 hours ago, CorruptionInTheSystem said:

Hi! So I'd like to say that I will not be moving to a server. This is mainly for single player use, and if I am going to use it on a server it would most likely be private/unofficial (just for me and my sister).

Ah, sounds like you will have loads of fun then :-)

Official servers can be very fun and you can become a part of a real nice community, if you find the right one. I am in no way saying they are all bad, unlike some others around here... I have over 9k hours on officials and love them. Just saying, in case anyone took my post the wrong way.

I hope you and your sister have tons of fun. Ark is an awesome game!

On 5/21/2019 at 5:04 PM, CorruptionInTheSystem said:

The basics, a month.

More generally, I'm still learning. I've been playing since nearly the beginning of Early Access and it seems like there is always something new you didn't learn, or have forgotten.

It depends on how much challenge you want to get started, and whether you want to progress through the game from start to finish.

If you want to "play through" ARK then you should start on The Island, work your way up until you can beat the boss fights on Island, then go to Center, then go to Scorched Earth, etc. If you just want to "beat" the game as quickly as possible then Ragnarok is a good place to start becuase it gives you easy access to a lot of powerful animals. But if you want to play through the history of ARK you should start on The Island and work your way forward.

Don't have a favorite, they each have cool stuff to experience.

1. A few weeks, though I was getting info from the wiki and youtube.

2. It depends on whether you care about the story or not. Ragnarok is noncanon, as it doesn’t have any lore attached to it. If you        want to follow the story, I’d start on the Island. Ragnarok is a great map though.

3. I love them all; Scorched Earth and the Center are the most beautiful imo, but they don’t have as much unique content as Aberration and Extinction. Also, if you like roleplay/immersion I recommend Primitive +

• 10 months later...

Ark questions! Hi! So I'm planning on buying Ark: Survival Evolved soon, and I had a few questions before I dive in! (Keep in mind I have been playing Ark: Mobile for a year and have been watching experienced Ark Youtubers for around a year and a half) 1 - How long did it take you to learn how to play? 2 - I'm thinking about starting on Ragnarok (I know it's huge but that's why I love it), but should I wait before adding the DLC? 3 - Which is your favorite DLC (For future servers)? Thank you if you reply! It's less for help and more like a poll.

It took me about a week to fully understand the ultimate basics.
I would wait at least for now, as the next genesis is comeing along and supposedly a brand new FREE map is comeing soon in the summertime.....the other DLC's might go on sale! 

And so far I only have the free stuff that comes with the vanilla game, and primitive plus. And I must say, really feeling that primitive plus. Im a sucker for tough and hard work, or punishment. XD

1. It took me about 100 hours or so to start understanding the game

2. Ragnarok is a good server to start on, I personally started on Scorched Earth so I had a hard time at the start which forced me to learn the games mechanics faster.

3. My favorite map is hands down Aberration, I know many people highly dislike it, but I just love everything about it; as it forces you to play without Flyers to get you out of sticky situations.

Archived