How to find/work out a good dino to breed with?

Peteed1

How do I tell if something is a good dino tame to start breeding with? Can't find a max level wild Raptor or Tek Raptor to save my life but I have found some high level Tek Raptors at least

Managed to breed my 2 tames together and got a baby female level 230 with HP 30, Stam 36, Oxy 36, Food 32, Weight 30, Melee 30 and Speed 35 and I also have a male with Melee 35 I could breed into it.

3 minutes ago, Peteed1 said:

How do I tell if something is a good dino tame to start breeding with? Can't find a max level wild Raptor or Tek Raptor to save my life but I have found some high level Tek Raptors at least

Managed to breed my 2 tames together and got a baby female level 230 with HP 30, Stam 36, Oxy 36, Food 32, Weight 30, Melee 30 and Speed 35 and I also have a male with Melee 35 I could breed into it.

That's a start. 

You can certainly tame higher stats but it takes quite a bit of hunting.

Generally you want to start breeding hard when your key base unmutated stats are 45 or higher.

However a raised and imprinted dino is almost always better than a tamed dino so you can start breeding for use and fun and breed in the higher stats as you acquire them.

19 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

That's a start. 

You can certainly tame higher stats but it takes quite a bit of hunting.

Generally you want to start breeding hard when your key base unmutated stats are 45 or higher.

However a raised and imprinted dino is almost always better than a tamed dino so you can start breeding for use and fun and breed in the higher stats as you acquire them.

26 minutes ago, Peteed1 said:

Just remember to save the pre-leveling stats (the stats post-tame with no levels invested) so you'll know what to expect in terms of "best" baby stats!  But if you are talking about points, you might know about Smart Breeding, which helps tremendously.

Past that, what Yekrucifixion said.  Just have to hunt for tames.  Cull the weak in the wild.  If you notice spawns drying up, that means there is likely an overspawn of dinos that share (in this case) Raptor/Tek Raptor spawns.  Find the dinos that share spawns and kill them too.

1 minute ago, TheDonn said:

Just remember to save the pre-leveling stats (the stats post-tame with no levels invested) so you'll know what to expect in terms of "best" baby stats!  But if you are talking about points, you might know about Smart Breeding, which helps tremendously.

Past that, what Yekrucifixion said.  Just have to hunt for tames.  Cull the weak in the wild.  If you notice spawns drying up, that means there is likely an overspawn of dinos that share (in this case) Raptor/Tek Raptor spawns.  Find the dinos that share spawns and kill them too.

Wouldn't that just be every dino in the area? xD

If I do need my key stats at 45 or more than these raptors don't help at all right? since their highest in the key stats are in the 30's

17 minutes ago, Peteed1 said:

If I do need my key stats at 45 or more than these raptors don't help at all right? since their highest in the key stats are in the 30's

yes, yes it would, large predators are helpful in this situation. there is also a global cap on certain classes/types of dinos but it shifts slowly, so you still might have to wander to different spawn points for creatures.

if you are adhering to the "45 or bust to start mutation breeding" idea yek put out then.. yeah they will not be as powerful if you are competitively breeding.  but it's not like you are breeding boss fighting raptors or something.  with raptors i often find it's good enough to simply breed them strong enough to surprise the crap out of people.

Like when you ride up on a raptor and someone is like "man beach bob trying to raid me i'll send my craposaurus to deal with him" then you kill it.

1 hour ago, Peteed1 said:

I would say that the next step would be to identify the stats that are important to you for the dino's purpose. Then hunt for wild dinos that show promise in those stats. Normally, you'd have to KO them to see what their wild stats are I think, and tame them to see what their tamed stats are (that's still the case ultimately). However, if you're on a private server you can load the 'Super Spyglass' mod and it lets you peek at the wild stats of a dino.

For instance, I'm currently trapping Spinos looking for 40+ stats. Generally that means looking for those individual dinos that are deficient in lots of stats, but proficient in one that matters. I'm attaching an example image of a recent tame I did. I spotted this Spino with a 28 roll in Health and took a chance that its tamed bonus levels would stack the HP up to around 40. It came out at 42. Which is kind of funny, because I've tamed lots of 150 Spinos so far but none of them has ever had more than a 36 roll in HP. Then this lower level 135 Spino gives me a 42.

I'm looking to get at least 40+ in HP, melee damage, stamina, and oxygen on one bred mating pair. 

I could be wrong, but I don't recall if the the regular spyglass gives you that wild stats info. I don't think it does. 

20190518160016_1.jpg

3 hours ago, Peteed1 said:

Well yes, but this is the ARK forums and you can't not cover every single base exhaustively.  If you went and killed Raptors for a while and they stopped spawning (because something else was taking the spawns, in the same spawn group) you probably would have more questions, and the answer would be to clear area spawns to let Raptors spawn and take the spots.

2 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

yes, yes it would, large predators are helpful in this situation. there is also a global cap on certain classes/types of dinos but it shifts slowly, so you still might have to wander to different spawn points for creatures.

Pretty much what Kapro said, that is why I suggested that.  The only answer is to kill and tame dinos to see post-tame stats.  Even pre-tame can lead you in the right direction, but it is -NOT- a foolproof guarantee that you will have a 45+ point stat post-tame.  When you KO a wild 145 Blah-de-blahsaurus and it has 32 points pre-tame in whatever stat, you get super-pumped.  Then it tames out with 36 points post-tame in that stat meaning 4 points out of 72 went to the stat, you'll see what I mean.  Then with a different tame, you see a rather unexceptional stat, like 22 points pre-tame get jacked into the 40s because it took a huge cut of the bonus levels.  Both have happened to everyone with a good amount of ARK playtime.  So there is no exact procedure other than just taming dinos and seeing how they end up.  Just go tame dinos.

2 hours ago, DeHammer said:

I could be wrong, but I don't recall if the the regular spyglass gives you that wild stats info. I don't think it does. 

You're correct, it doesn't give stat-spread on wilds, Hammer.

3 hours ago, TheDonn said:

Then with a different tame, you see a rather unexceptional stat, like 22 points pre-tame get jacked into the 40s because it took a huge cut of the bonus levels

This is the worse when you have 22 in one stat but 31 in another and you hope for that 31 to roll but it rolls the 22 instead and you're already sitting on what you want in the 22 stat. ??

6 hours ago, DeHammer said:

I would say that the next step would be to identify the stats that are important to you for the dino's purpose. Then hunt for wild dinos that show promise in those stats. Normally, you'd have to KO them to see what their wild stats are I think, and tame them to see what their tamed stats are (that's still the case ultimately). However, if you're on a private server you can load the 'Super Spyglass' mod and it lets you peek at the wild stats of a dino.

For instance, I'm currently trapping Spinos looking for 40+ stats. Generally that means looking for those individual dinos that are deficient in lots of stats, but proficient in one that matters. I'm attaching an example image of a recent tame I did. I spotted this Spino with a 28 roll in Health and took a chance that its tamed bonus levels would stack the HP up to around 40. It came out at 42. Which is kind of funny, because I've tamed lots of 150 Spinos so far but none of them has ever had more than a 36 roll in HP. Then this lower level 135 Spino gives me a 42.

I'm looking to get at least 40+ in HP, melee damage, stamina, and oxygen on one bred mating pair. 

I could be wrong, but I don't recall if the the regular spyglass gives you that wild stats info. I don't think it does. 20190518160016_1.jpg

it doesn't give the stats nor does it take into account bonus levels gained after high taming efficiency.

27 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

it doesn't give the stats nor does it take into account bonus levels gained after high taming efficiency.

I think you might be referring to the Super Spyglass? Or regular? If you were referring to the Super Spyglass, this is more about seeing the wild stats distribution prior to taming, so you have a good idea what stats might have a chance to really pop up with taming. The info it gives is actually levels distribution, which is a pretty good indicator of stats distribution. 

@DeHammer  i meant the regular spyglass doesn't show the stats, but yeah i know you meant level distribution.  I meant that the extra level distribution that comes from the bonus levels post tame is not shown.  I like to state things that seem obvious to others alot because i deal with alot of people that need everything explained to them, sorry if it came across condescending or something.

5 minutes ago, Kaprosuchus said:

@DeHammer  i meant the regular spyglass doesn't show the stats, but yeah i know you meant level distribution.  I meant that the extra level distribution that comes from the bonus levels post tame is not shown.  I like to state things that seem obvious to others alot because i deal with alot of people that need everything explained to them, sorry if it came across condescending or something.

Thanks for the clarification. I gotcha now. It didn't seem condescending to me at all. I know what you mean about explaining things that might seem obvious to others. I think its a lost art. Too many people gloss over things and people get confused by what would be straight forward if clarified. 

1 hour ago, Kaprosuchus said:

1 hour ago, DeHammer said:

Thanks for the clarification. I gotcha now. It didn't seem condescending to me at all. I know what you mean about explaining things that might seem obvious to others. I think its a lost art. Too many people gloss over things and people get confused by what would be straight forward if clarified. 

He condescends to you on the forums, AND pulls you off your mount and eats you when you are trying to leave SE at the Red Obelisk.

#nerfKaprosuchus

kidding...  =D

Archived