Ragnarok is broken (LAG) any ideas

Stegaros

So as the title reports Ragnarok is unplayable

this has been going on for a year at least. It has gotten worse since cryopods were introduced. during the valentines event ping was at a steady 200-255 when it should be averaging between 20 and 40 for me. We have block tribes who troll anyone who isn't one of them and teleport gigas into their bases, and leave out hundreds of dinosaurs. I've read about wildcard cheaping out on servers and merging them with their atlas game making it even worse. We cant even do cave runs because the lag will often make us fall into the lava or interrupt our jetpacks and again make us fall into the lava. No other game that i have ever played froze for 30 seconds every 15 minutes this is broken.

Is anything being done about this? 

If wildcard isn't willing to pay for usable servers. I would certainly be open to paying up to $5 a month towards us having a decent server and im sure a lot of people would be too. We love this game and want to stick with official but this is just draining.

Has anyone got any realistic ideas about how to mend this?

There is none if you want to stay on official. It's a WC optimization/server issue.

The optimization gets a small bump here and there but the servers used can't handle the flow of traffic/amount of data it has to process. 

The 30 second lags every 15 minutes, the server is saving every dino, rock, foliage, building piece, etc. during that time. The only major improvements for official will come from some sort of engine or optimization break through and then WC applying it. If that doesn't come, best you can hope for is little improvements here and there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2019 at 12:40 PM, yekrucifixion187 said:

There is none if you want to stay on official. It's a WC optimization/server issue.

The optimization gets a small bump here and there but the servers used can't handle the flow of traffic/amount of data it has to process. 

The 30 second lags every 15 minutes, the server is saving every dino, rock, foliage, building piece, etc. during that time. The only major improvements for official will come from some sort of engine or optimization break through and then WC applying it. If that doesn't come, best you can hope for is little improvements here and there.

No it doesn't need engine optimizations. It simply needs wildcard to turn their brains on :)

How to make the save lagg way more acceptable for players:

1. Set the auto save time in the configsfile to 999999999 (So it will never happen).

2. Send a warning chat/broadcast message all 15 minutes via RCON  -> Somethink like "Danger, the server will do a autosave in 10 seconds, this will pause the server for a few seconds".

3. 10 seconds after the chat/broadcast, send the autosave command via RCON.

This at least keeps the players informed about the incoming lagg. (I never heard any complaints anymore about laggs on my servers after i changed that).  The laggs itself is only the small problem. The big problem is that players do not get informed about it.

Have a look how its done at the Game Heat or Rust...thats how you inform about saves/restarts.

On 5/18/2019 at 4:06 AM, Stegaros said:

If wildcard isn't willing to pay for usable servers. I would certainly be open to paying up to $5 a month towards us having a decent server and im sure a lot of people would be too. We love this game and want to stick with official but this is just draining.

This is how unofficial communities form.

10 hours ago, AngrySaltire said:

Not to mention the actual civilised rates. Official rates are just barbaric...

Endgame rates are fine when you have selectively bred dinos and a karkinos but yeah doing anything with tools takes forever.

10 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

This is how unofficial communities form.

I get what you mean, if i quit and come back to the game it wouldn't be on official. shame but we just cant trust the servers we're provided with.

but the thing for us in pve at least is by the time we realise we should be going unofficial we have already sunk probably hundreds of hours into the game and have our own little hoard of dinos and stuff which we're so attached to so it makes it hard to leave

3 hours ago, Stegaros said:

Endgame rates are fine when you have selectively bred dinos and a karkinos but yeah doing anything with tools takes forever.

I get what you mean, if i quit and come back to the game it wouldn't be on official. shame but we just cant trust the servers we're provided with.

but the thing for us in pve at least is by the time we realise we should be going unofficial we have already sunk probably hundreds of hours into the game and have our own little hoard of dinos and stuff which we're so attached to so it makes it hard to leave

Tbf I was more aiming at things such as the breeding rates and structure decay rates. Even taming is OTT, but harvesting isnt too bad 

I know that one. It took the creation of legacy for me to let go of my own little hoard.

5 hours ago, Stegaros said:

This is why for PvE official the devs should release the server files like legacy. Then you wouldn't have to start over, all your work could be saved. Now official PvP releasing the server files might be bad, lead to more cheating since players could practice meshing.

On 5/18/2019 at 3:06 AM, Stegaros said:

this has been going on for a year at least. It has gotten worse since cryopods were introduced.

The severe lag we currently experience was introduced with Homestead. If you go back and look through the forums, there are a ton of posts regarding the S+ author warning WC what would happen if they merged the mod in its current state. I do not remember the exacts, as I never play unofficial. I have no idea about how buggy S+ is, but it is a fact that when Homestead was released, there were a ton of posts all saying "The author warned you guys what would happen and you did it anyway! DILO!!"

So for the first week or two of Homestead, the game locked up solid every few minutes. I mean solid. Could not move, nothing. WC released a few fixes and got us to the current state, where the game only locks up briefly. I know, briefly is a long time when you are on a mana, drake, in combat, whatever..

Before Homestead, I could fly a drake from my base in fertile and go all the way down to the skely in red. One flight, no stops, no freezes. This right here is the best example I can give. I cannot do this anymore at all. At least once during that flight now, it will freeze for a moment and I have to hold my breathe and pray I am still flying when the game unfreezes.

On 5/18/2019 at 1:06 AM, Stegaros said:

So as the title reports Ragnarok is unplayable

Has anyone got any realistic ideas about how to mend this?

We're running Ragnarok on a rented server and it plays just fine. The only iffy area of the map is around Viking Bay. Otherwise, what you're experiencing is server/network related and not the map itself.

I don't get the 'official' vs 'unofficial' thing. After all, being able to run a non-official server is BUILT INTO THE GAME. It's an officially supported game option. Lots of people are already doing it. 

1 hour ago, DeHammer said:

We're running Ragnarok on a rented server and it plays just fine. The only iffy area of the map is around Viking Bay. Otherwise, what you're experiencing is server/network related and not the map itself.

I don't get the 'official' vs 'unofficial' thing. After all, being able to run a non-official server is BUILT INTO THE GAME. It's an officially supported game option. Lots of people are already doing it. 

On my rented server there are questionable areas on green and red obelisks. Might be others. Destroy wild dinos doesn't work. No mods.

9 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Give it a few months. Known memory leak and server performance issues on rag for long term

Archived