Harpoon vs Crossbow

SaltyMonkey

Honestly cant think of any scenario. Apparantly the range is greater on the harpoon launcher but I wouldnt think that would be worth it over high quality crossbows

4 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

Good question.  I've never made one let alone used one so I'd be curious as well.  Can harpoons be used to knock something out or only for killing?

Both. You can craft spear bolts and tranq spear bolts.

8 minutes ago, AngrySaltire said:

Honestly cant think of any scenario. Apparantly the range is greater on the harpoon launcher but I wouldnt think that would be worth it over high quality crossbows

Both. You can craft spear bolts and tranq spear bolts.

Ok good to know.  So using Dododex you can actually customize your crossbow and compare it to the harpoon gun.  Primitive Crossbow takes about 190 tranqs vs a 150 Mosa while it's 100 tranqs in a harpoon gun.  If you customize your crossbow in the app it'll tell you exactly how many arrows you'd need with that exact crossbow and there you'll have your answer.

Think the only reason might be for an angler fish since their torpor ratio is so high compared to their hp but to be honest, if they can't live through being ko'd by a crossbow, they aren't a fish I want to use so really nothing.

I was so excited for the harpoon gun when it was introduced. I had killed too many Anglers with my 173 jm crossbow but once I got my 230+ crossbows, it was shelved forever and never made once the new servers opened.

Maybe if they ever introduce quality harpoon bp's.

3 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Quality harpoon launchers exist in the game, just not in any loot tables that I’m aware of, and even then it is still outclassed by a high damage crossbow so seems almost pointless when most sea creatures have a large pool of health. Seems more of a gimmick than a functional tool.

Pretty much Mr Jefferson

On 5/16/2019 at 1:40 PM, SaltyMonkey said:

Quality harpoon launchers exist in the game, just not in any loot tables that I’m aware of, and even then it is still outclassed by a high damage crossbow so seems almost pointless when most sea creatures have a large pool of health. Seems more of a gimmick than a functional tool.

Pretty much.  If blueprints existed, it would be great and very worth it:  It deals pretty awesome amounts of torpor.  Even primitive ones can KO a 150 Angler in 30 hits, and deal a bit over 1K damage to it which would almost certainly never kill over KOing.  A Crossbow at 195 is roughly the same amount of torpor delivery, but at ~2x the damage (about 2030 damage to the same Angler at level 150).  High risk of killing them...  But you just have to knock it out, which is very possible for any wild Angler found over ~18 points in HP (2070 HP @ 18 pts, would be REALLLY close but doable).  If it lives with 5 HP, you can easily finish the tame (which thanks to wild predation's non-existence in the ocean, you are good).

So, for 90% or more of cases, yeah.  Pretty much spot-on, more of a gimmick than a useful tool.  A 250% harpoon putting down 150 Anglers with 12 shots would be great though.

Archived