What is the effect of structurememopts on Structure Mods?

Zen Rowe posted this on the modding discord.

The v295.107 update that just went out includes an optional structure memory optimization that I'm recommending people leave disabled if they're running with structure mods.
Essentially, it prevents duplicating the snap point data to every instance of a given structure type.
We did add a check box to structures that can be checked to opt out of the optimization bPerInstanceSnapPoints that should be checked on any mod structure that alters snap points at runtime or has its snap points accessed through blueprint. (Once it makes it to the devkit checking that on any such structures in a mod would make it compatible with the optimization (using -structurememopts)) 

2 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Zen Rowe posted this on the modding discord.

The v295.107 update that just went out includes an optional structure memory optimization that I'm recommending people leave disabled if they're running with structure mods.
Essentially, it prevents duplicating the snap point data to every instance of a given structure type.
We did add a check box to structures that can be checked to opt out of the optimization bPerInstanceSnapPoints that should be checked on any mod structure that alters snap points at runtime or has its snap points accessed through blueprint. (Once it makes it to the devkit checking that on any such structures in a mod would make it compatible with the optimization (using -structurememopts)) 

Thanks for that. It gives a small bit of insight to how this new command works for us plebs :P 

So .. essentially.. this command would help optimize large bases sort of how that trick of adding a fence foundation snapped segment does to a bases' optimization upon loading? Basically it doesnt (or optimizes how it does?) check for individual snap points on large structures which is a big cause of the base loading lagg? 

• Volunteer Moderator
37 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Thanks for that. It gives a small bit of insight to how this new command works for us plebs :P 

So .. essentially.. this command would help optimize large bases sort of how that trick of adding a fence foundation snapped segment does to a bases' optimization upon loading? Basically it doesnt (or optimizes how it does?) check for individual snap points on large structures which is a big cause of the base loading lagg? 

On 5/6/2019 at 4:57 PM, StudioWildcard said:

On: Memory Optimizations!

large.ShooterGame-2019-02-25-18-28-56-183.00_01_12_33.jpg

There are times when gameplay engineers make improvements to game systems that are aimed specifically at increasing performance as we have done in our recent PC patch. These changes are often invisible to the player but are immensely helpful with things such as server lag. Although we try to outline these things in the patch notes, we wanted to take the time today to explain in detail the changes and how they impact the game.  

When it comes to the multiplayer experience, the term replication in games is one that is commonly used. Simply put, it's how the server communicates with you, or the client. Replication and server authoritative actions are important in multiplayer games for a multitude of reasons. It's how all the clients (players) all see the same things while playing in-game together. As you can imagine, there are lots of things to replicate with a game like ARK. Not only are the items themselves replicated, but a lot of the variables (like health, position, colors) are also all replicated as well. This results in tons of information being sent every frame from the server to you--the client. This frame is what corresponds to your FPS (Frames Per Second). The constant flow of information being sent back and forth every frame is what uses lots of server resources.

There are times when that information doesn't need to be sent every frame or the information doesn't need to be sent at all. If you've ever heard stasis in relation to ARK it's referring to a technique in which something purposefully isn't communicating with the server - thus saving server performance. Recently we realized that snap points on structures were being replicated for every single structure and they didn't need to be and we've now changed this. Snap points are simply a list of connecting points for any given structure. That information doesn't need to be replicated by every structure because it's defined by the class--where all of the structures inside that class have the same "genetics". This can explain why every individual wall doesn't need to store that information.

A change like this has saved us 2-4 gigabytes of data on our servers (and will save on your server if you choose to run the applicable command line  "-structurememopts"), and more memory means a smoother performance!  We look forward to bringing you more updates and insight into our optimization efforts, as well as bring these memory optimizations to console in the near future.

2 hours ago, Milsurp said:

But none of that answers the question - what happens if you're using structure mods and use that command too? Like S+ running with Homestead.

depending on how the mod writer utilized snap points in their structures you could have structures fail to snap to other structures completely, or not detect that a snap point exists ie. alot of red placement holograms.  that's the super simplified version.

On 5/17/2019 at 9:20 PM, Kaprosuchus said:

depending on how the mod writer utilized snap points in their structures you could have structures fail to snap to other structures completely, or not detect that a snap point exists ie. alot of red placement holograms.  that's the super simplified version.

Thanks but I was looking for more of the "Yep, Homestead and S+ are fine if you turn this on" (or not) message :)

2 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

S+ wasn't modded to include the new setting. So feel free to test it and give us results. But its not recommended.

hah the only way to test it myself would risk my home server. That's why I was asking in this thread. If it were a few weeks ago, I'd have been in a base move and I could have tested it without risk. Now, noway :D

16 hours ago, bsmorgan said:

I would think that with a good backup and a low population, one could test this without too much risk. If things fall apart, just restore the backup and turn the switch off.

Great, I look forward to seeing the results of WC's testing on this. They do get paid for this work, and I'm just trying to play a video game here.

Also, backups have a history of partial restoration when running mods. You *probably* will be all right. But S+ is big and complicated, and with all of your things in S+ structures, if there's a problem with the restoration, all your belongings will be in bags on the ground with timers ticking down. Not acceptable.

35 minutes ago, Milsurp said:

Great, I look forward to seeing the results of WC's testing on this. They do get paid for this work, and I'm just trying to play a video game here.

Also, backups have a history of partial restoration when running mods. You *probably* will be all right. But S+ is big and complicated, and with all of your things in S+ structures, if there's a problem with the restoration, all your belongings will be in bags on the ground with timers ticking down. Not acceptable.

WC made the statement not to use the new setting with building mods.

Zen Rowe's statement from the modding discord, show that mods will be able to be created to be compatible. But obviously the devKit is always takes time to catch up with newest game updates.

On 5/20/2019 at 7:19 AM, Milsurp said:

Yes, they could test it, and might. But ultimately your answer seems to lack a certain bit of personal responsibility.  I am pretty sure testing compatibility with individual third party content isn't high on their priority list. As aylana said the devkit will allow individual mod users to adjust their own content.  I feel this is the responsibility of the mod writers not wildcard.

3 hours ago, Kaprosuchus said:

Yes, they could test it, and might. But ultimately your answer seems to lack a certain bit of personal responsibility.  I am pretty sure testing compatibility with individual third party content isn't high on their priority list. As aylana said the devkit will allow individual mod users to adjust their own content.  I feel this is the responsibility of the mod writers not wildcard.

/shrug either way, it's not mine and the risks to my home server are too great. I do plenty of volunteer troubleshooting for WC as it is. Back to RL for me.

Archived