Tips for the Hidden Grotto cave

Mean2u444

Tips for the Hidden Grotto cave

Hi all,

I got bored today so I thought i'd take a whack at the Hidden Grotto (blue zone) cave. I'd heard it was hard, but I have decent dinos and since the cryopod introduction, a lot of caves have become much easier.

Not this one, for me at least. I went in solo with a baryonyx/megalosaurus, cleared the shallow water and land sections easily, but got dismounted by a karkinos in the underwater section leading to the artifact. It destroyed my scuba tank and almost killed me but luckily I was able to pump enough lead into it and escape the cave with my life & dinos intact.

Does anyone have any tips for clearing the underwater sections? If you're going solo, is it a matter of taking a pack of baryonyx in and sending them to attack while you hang back?

Thanks!

You want to be slow and you want to be careful. Cryopodded dinosaurs are actually not the best way to go, decent on-foot equipment will do you better. Take your pick of flak or riot gear and lazarus chowder. Personal recommendation is sword+shield to mow through the creatures with a gun just to kill any arthos, but it's not strictly necessary.

Once you've got that sworded, you have the water sections. This is where you eat your lazarus chowder. Still have the scuba tank, but its role is not to sustain you throughout the water sections- It's to put it on to refresh your 02 when it runs out. Lazarus chowder prolongs when this happens, giving you more time to fight.

In the underwater sections, you want to stay high whenever possible. Stick to the ceilings, and that keeps you out of the reach of sarcos and above the notice of baryonyx. Anglers are numerous but will generally run when you engage, but watch for them to come back. Jellyfish will do their thing, but spam an attack command with your melee weapon when they stun you to get attacks in in the seconds between stuns- Or bring a harpoon gun (primitive is fine) or crossbow (as good as you have access to) to snipe them from afar. 

Congratulations. You have won the nicest cave in the game.

On 5/15/2019 at 7:34 AM, Mean2u444 said:

but got dismounted by a karkinos in the underwater section leading to the artifact. It destroyed my scuba tank and almost killed me but luckily I was able to pump enough lead into it and escape the cave with my life & dinos intact.

In that particular section try luring the karkinos into the center, where the floor dips down to the glowing Tek metal stuff.  It seems like they are unable to maneuver out of there, so you can avoid them entirely.

Hello.

I do the blue cave solo with full tek suit, and one megalosaurus in cryo.

I clean the first part with megalosaurus. Once arrived to the first water section, I cryo the megalosaurus and I go through the underwater section with the tek boost. It's incredibly fast and I usually do not get blocked by Cnidarias (if it happen, it's not even really a problem, they do not have a lot of health, it's easy to kill them with a tek sword or a very high quality metal sword). I take some healing potions, but I usually don't need them. After the first underwater section, two choices.

First option: I clean the area before the second underwater tunnel, with my megalosaurus but if I do it I will have a cooldown before being able to uncryo it again for the last part of the cave.

Second option: I fly with the tek boost, and I instantly go through the second underwater tunnel.

Once arrived at the Artifact room just after the water, I uncryo the megalosaurus and I finish to clean the artifact room, or, if I have a cooldown, I have to temporize but it's very risky in this area. People usually come here with an Otter to carry a lot of artifacts but they do not have charge light pet so you usually find a subterranean reaper king inside the artifact room.

Once the area is cleaned, just take the artifact and return.

Do not forget: Several sleeping bags. Healing potions. Full tek suit. Elements. Light pet /or/ Otter.

The artifact has a fast respawn time. I usually do not take the pet light and I prefer the Otter..

PS: You can also replace the megalo with a rock drake if you feel more safe onto it.

Archived