Community Crunch 181: Auto-Decay Back Next Week & Social Roundup!

StudioWildcard

if i had a nickle for every time i read someones negative comments about the game and how its going to trash i would have a gold plated yacht right now, and if i had a nickle for every time i had to tell someone that there insensitive child like complaints where unjustified because they didn't read the whole post i would have another gold plated yacht.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DazzSHADOWS said:

I gotta say all these complaints about stuff from people is just childish. If you dont like the game anymore or the way wildcard operate go play something else and complain in the same way about that as I'm sure you will. Ok WC do make mistakes sometimes but they are only human and all the negativity from a % of the community doesn't help the situation at all if anything you are probably putting them off doing new content and working harder on getting popular mods integrated. How about leaving constructive criticism or pointing out any mistakes they make in a mature way, not screaming about it like petulant children. The toxic members are what puts the game down not the devs.

On the one hand, I agree people should try to be more constructive when it comes to criticism. It certainly doesn’t help when people just say they are going to quit playing. After all, why would anyone dedicate time and effort to fix something affecting players that are just going to quit anyway? 

On the other, the only time I’ve really seen significant changes has been after a major outcry from members of the community. A lot of times we see a person venting after they have attempted to address an issue they are experiencing without remedy. Somehow it is easier to look past those posts and only notice when they lash out in frustration. 

From a PR perspective, the best thing to do is to get out in front of complaints and acknowledge the problem and provide some communication about what is being done to address it. I think WC has done a pretty decent job lately, at least showing they care. 

As far as the toxicity goes, it is a two-way street. Just like people that get on and rant about their problems, it is equally toxic when others tell them their problems aren’t worth addressing or suggest if they don’t like how it is they should “go play something else.” If they wanted to play something else, they would just go do that. What they obviously want is to play this game in a functional form. 

• Thanks 2
  • Facepalm 1

• Joebl0w13 locked and unlocked this topic
2 hours ago, MIsterMayhem said:

That individual literally goes around all posts and harasses every person that has the misfortune of having their comments being read by him. Including myself numerous times. He’s very toxic. But he will get promoted to a moderator so what can you do. ??‍♂️  .    

But as far as the post goes, I hope that when the structure timers are enabled again that  nobody loses half of their land and base because of some error. I will be resetting timers on everything but scary to think that something could happen. Wouldn’t be the 1st time something catastrophic has happened. 

That's not toxic man. Youve even been to destiny forums? That

That's toxic

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ArkP1 said:

On the one hand, I agree people should try to be more constructive when it comes to criticism. It certainly doesn’t help when people just say they are going to quit playing. After all, why would anyone dedicate time and effort to fix something affecting players that are just going to quit anyway? 

On the other, the only time I’ve really seen significant changes has been after a major outcry from members of the community. A lot of times we see a person venting after they have attempted to address an issue they are experiencing without remedy. Somehow it is easier to look past those posts and only notice when they lash out in frustration. 

From a PR perspective, the best thing to do is to get out in front of complaints and acknowledge the problem and provide some communication about what is being done to address it. I think WC has done a pretty decent job lately, at least showing they care. 

As far as the toxicity goes, it is a two-way street. Just like people that get on and rant about their problems, it is equally toxic when others tell them their problems aren’t worth addressing or suggest if they don’t like how it is they should “go play something else.” If they wanted to play something else, they would just go do that. What they obviously want is to play this game in a functional form. 

Welcome back ?

Edited by SaltyMonkey

13 minutes ago, Xylom said:

Can't take a disagreement much?

11 minutes ago, Xylom said:

That's not toxic man. Youve even been to destiny forums? That

That's toxic

Thank you. Basically if you’re not part of the outrage mob then you’re toxic and a troll.

It’s almost as if taking a break from something that causes you frustration, anger, sadness, and a whole lot of other emotions, is good for your mental state.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RudeboyXL said:

Console chat/dino naming filter is rubbish.

Why is "Shine" blocked? Who the hell finds the word "Shine" offensive?

Ah the good old game of trying to find out just what word you used that didnt make it past the xbox filter. Its amazing what the filter actually blocks... its insane, I cant even shorthand the word minutes lol but yeah its down to thing like the xbox live filter rather than Ark as others have said.

Edited by AngrySaltire
  • Thanks 1

Just now, AngrySaltire said:

Ah the good old game of trying to find out just what word you used that didnt make it past the xbox filter. Its amazing what the filter actually blocks... its insane, I cant even shorthand the word minutes lol

I had 1 the other day when putting in stat folders for a new tame. It wouldn’t let me put a letter, then space, and then followed by 4 digits.

• Haha 1

I have only been playing ARK for about three weeks, so obviously that entire time has been with the decay timers turned off. I honestly can't think of a worse state for this type of game to be in; it is catastrophic.

My first session was spent running around for 30 real time minutes just looking for somewhere to place my campfire due to all of the "too close to enemy foundation" messages. Everywhere I looked there was a player-made pillar. There were more pillars than trees in some areas.

The entire coastline was either filled with an unfinished 1x2 thatch hut or claimed with a pillar. I started raging. I left negative feedback on Steam and almost asked for a refund (I wasnt aware of the decay timer at the time). I was disgusted, but I wanted to play so badly that I kept on.

My first base was a ridiculously shaped group of boxes stacked on pillars due to the limited space bot claimed and the odd way the game calculated where I could build. Some spots were unavailable on the ground but could be built on via the second story. My base looked like a Dr. Seuss illustration.

Then the heartbreak started set in when I started exploring. I found so many wonderful and beautiful places for a base. Places that inspired me to build intricate towers and balconies incorporating the landscape. I watched videos how to do expert structures. Alas there literally was no place for me to build.

So I built a raft and started building this wonderful octogonal tower with balconies and pillars....until I hit the construction piece limit. I almost quit again.

Here we are now and I am overjoyed. I am so excited for the decay timers being turned off and so many wonderful landscapes becoming available. I play on the official 404 server and my name is Fekth. Come play with me Saturday, Sunday or Monday 7pm to 7am central.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MIsterMayhem said:

That individual literally goes around all posts and harasses every person that has the misfortune of having their comments being read by him. Including myself numerous times. He’s very toxic. But he will get promoted to a moderator so what can you do. ??‍♂️  .

Sorry, I’m just not a fan of echo chambers. These are the community forums, so as long as I stay on topic (unlike this specific post) and abide by the community guidelines, I can post what I want and where I want.

If I wasn’t the host to a strong community then I wouldn’t be here and would have quit indefinitely a long time ago. I’m here for news, bugs, predominantly help Xbox players, and general discussions - anything I can take away and add to my dedicated service to my community.

• Thanks 1

On 5/14/2019 at 4:48 AM, bigbo said:

waste of a read tbh all about pve 

About how most of us PVE players feel every time we read something about PVP. But unlike you PVP players we have to suffer every time you guys do something that we in no way played a part in and WC due to lazy game management decides to do a full game nerf or alteration, with same rule sets for both modes. 

Most of us would I imagine prefer to live in an alternate universe from the PVP crowd and have our own PVE rules.

Edited by monomania

15 hours ago, Tattare said:

Thanks, we get to wait another week for some of the spam to disappear.

Better than logging on to find your base gone, or learning of a lot of other people losing vaults, bases, etc. Remember this all started because of a rollback after an update that destroyed a few vaults. It would really be a bad experience if we had to go through it all again. 

At least this way, no one can say they didn’t have ample warning. If players don’t refresh their timers this week, players can only blame themselves if anything vanishes. 

Kudos for WC keeping their word, and props for doing it with a correction. 

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, ArkP1 said:

Better than logging on to find your base gone, or learning of a lot of other people losing vaults, bases, etc. Remember this all started because of a rollback after an update that destroyed a few vaults. It would really be a bad experience if we had to go through it all again. 

At least this way, no one can say they didn’t have ample warning. If players don’t refresh their timers this week, players can only blame themselves if anything vanishes. 

Kudos for WC keeping their word, and props for doing it with a correction. 

Most players don't frequent the forums at all. So yes, this will be interesting.