How do tek dinos even fit into the LORE? O_o

dodogal

Helena Note #7 (The Island)

I never thought this island was normal, exactly. I mean, there are giant obelisks floating in the sky, for Pete's sake. Not to mention that cave I found, which hid a platform similar to those found at the base of said obelisks. Well, similar except for those oddly shaped holes that were carved into its podium.

I guess I just didn't care about all that. So long as I had my beautiful, unique and untainted ecosystem to study, I was happy. But now...

No, I shouldn't write it off just yet. Not before I arrive at Rockwell's. There's still a chance that my data is off or, that I missed something obvious. I won't give up on my paradise just yet.

It says that apart from obelisks and caves, the island should look like a natural paradise

But now with the addition of tek dinos, it doesn't make sense anymore

Wasn't including tek dinos in the island a mistake? I mean lore wise... (because it was even more a mistake balance wise)

well... my thought was with the corruption on the Extinction Ark, the data got sent out to the other arks, allowing for the spawning of the tek dino's on to them.

without the tek dinos on the other maps you would have to travel to extinction in order to gather element dust or try to tame a gacha and hope it produces element dust.

I haven't noticed a large spawn of tek dino's on the island, they seem to be rather low far as the spawn rate compared to the other dinos.

I do like them, just for the extra electronics n' oil.

16 minutes ago, caleb68 said:

well... my thought was with the corruption on the Extinction Ark, the data got sent out to the other arks, allowing for the spawning of the tek dino's on to them.

without the tek dinos on the other maps you would have to travel to extinction in order to gather element dust or try to tame a gacha and hope it produces element dust.

I haven't noticed a large spawn of tek dino's on the island, they seem to be rather low far as the spawn rate compared to the other dinos.

I do like them, just for the extra electronics n' oil.

They shouldn't be on the island right off the bat though, it breaks both balance and LORE.

They could make it so tek dinos only appear on the island after you've ascended....

since I did not ascend yet, I removed them from the island like this (in game.ini)

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="BionicPara_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Para_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="BionicStego_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Stego_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="BionicRaptor_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Raptor_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="BionicRex_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Rex_Character_BP_C")
NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="BionicQuetz_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Quetz_Character_BP_C")

but still I think it was a mistake to disrupt the setting like this

17 hours ago, dodogal said:

It says that apart from obelisks and caves, the island should look like a natural paradise

But now with the addition of tek dinos, it doesn't make sense anymore

Wasn't including tek dinos in the island a mistake? I mean lore wise... (because it was even more a mistake balance wise)

Yes!!!! Lore!!!! But before lore, lets address a little of my expectations.

So I love the Tek dinos and all things transformers. I really do and I, as a private server admin/owner, have enjoyed Tek Dinos and are still a lot of fun to me and friends.  

I did struggle with a few things though, when I first brought up the "dinobots" in Ark I suggested these would be built and fueled much like Tek tier stuff now days. They would be powerful and mechanic (with fuel to balance its use). I never factored breeding (but maybe dynamic breeding was not even a thing back then when I brought this up).

So, if I were to implement Tek Dinos today, I would do so based on parts. After Extinction, parts have qualities associated with them and that changes with the quality of the Enforcer (for example), Enforcers work pretty well with my original expectation for this type of critter, the only thing is that I thought it would require a hangar to build stuff and we could see a Tek Rex being gradually assembled as resources where donated to it. It was pretty cool the way I pictured.

Then came the Tek Dinos as they are, and while they are totally awesome to me I had to find ways to justify the lore behind it, I am a lore driven person after all. 

First issue you raised, Helena and Tek Dinos/natural:

I have always assumed that I was not close behind Helena's tracks, I have always thought that there is at least one or two generations in between the events of those survivors and myself. I never assumed ourselves (Humans) to be 100% the humans we are now, so longevity, strength, resistance, etc.. are not necessarily identical to our reality. Many years could have passed since Helena's initial discoveries. So between her observations and my own, there could have been a lifetime of changes to the specific Ark we have survived on.

Could the Corruption be an explanation to the Tek Dinos? I personally did not not think so (but now it makes more sense), the Tek Dinos are either an inherit "glitch in the system" or since this was brought up, if the Arks are connected in a single network (and by all means it seems so, because we transfer between them), then Rockwell might have initiated the whole corruption, willingly or unwillingly. Rockwell was around the same time Helena was, etc... So if Rockwell triggered the corruption AFTER they went to now called Aberration, Helena's Island notes are in perfect harmony as the events happened after she wrote them. 

The harder to explain stuff:

This is were I start to take issue, lore wise. Why, for all that is logic, do Tek critters drop meat, hide, etc...? WHY? its a tek beast, I expected components, stuff like that, blue blood or something, and yet they are just a reskin of the base template with a max level boost. 

The fact that Tek animals hunt/seek food, I can somehow justify (poorly at that, but just to find *something*) by saying Tek beasts still eat to process energy somehow, it would be so advanced that is mimicking a living organism so well. 

Tek breeding, this is another that I can imagine the Tek animal assembles a miniature (blueprint injected in egg form) internally and thru some kind of nano-technology they can grow and reconfigure its size appropriately as per design. Again very high sci-fi, but I NEED a justification for it, this is the best I could find. 

I just cannot explain the drops to myself and that specifically hurts the lore a lot to me, I would be ok if Wildcard messed with the Tek dinos loot drop or moved them to building templates, either way, I love that they are in and there are still some Tek ones missing and I hope they will come in as well. 

EDIT: Loot table has been ajusted on 292.100 patch as quickly noticed by a friend of mine, haven't hunted them on the Island for a while, so my worst issue with them has been resolved. 

1 hour ago, Martellus said:

I just cannot explain the drops to myself and that specifically hurts the lore a lot to me, I would be ok if Wildcard messed with the Tek dinos loot drop or moved them to building templates, either way, I love that they are in and there are still some Tek ones missing and I hope they will come in as well. 

EDIT: Loot table has been ajusted on 292.100 patch as quickly noticed by a friend of mine, haven't hunted them on the Island for a while, so my worst issue with them has been resolved. 

while I appreciate they don't drop meat anymore, their new loot is too OP for the Island, easy electronics and elements...

that's why they shouldn't be on the island in single player mode, at least before you ascended

other issues :  they still have red blood (why not make it black like oil?) and they still behave like regular dinos (do regular predators eat metal? do tek predators eat meat?) all of this reeks lack of polish, they're still essentially  a skin

• 11 months later...

I am a year late and brand new to the game, but I don't think Tek Creatures eating meat or dropping the meat they collected is lore breaking in any way.  They were deaigned to immitate the life on the island, so they hunt down and kill and (collect) consume the other Ark animals.  If anything, they should drop spoiled meat as well, since they are just collecting it.  On the other hand, maybe their design causes a preservative effect?

Archived