Real reason to keep pillar spam

Blackmage2015

Real reason to keep pillar spam

Correct me if I’m wrong but official has crazy pillar spam. The only reason I can think of why the devs have not fixed the issue is because the game has to many performance issues and removing the pillar spam opens up more land for others to build and store Dino’s on thusly causing more performance issues / strain on the systems running the game. 

• 3 weeks later...

they changed it multiple times, there is no way to stop someone from spamming with how it works. Change foundations, people use pillars, change decay timers, people use more structures.

The only way it would ever change is if there was a limited number of "land claming" objects such as a flag or beacon. Everyone would have the same size bases but it would help with pillar spam.

The only issue is people would alt tribes to claim more land.

it never ends, pve is trash anyway.

real rason of keeping pillar spam is that wildcard dont want to deal with all reasons. Problem is that pillaring can be on good purposes also. Pillaring can be for protecting valuable resources spawning, keeping roads open in abberation, protecting base territory(if you build only wall and no pillars then in on day you can notice that for whatever reason you need replace your base wall but someone build so close so it is not allowed to replace your wall). If they not allow to place for us pillars then there will be jst 1x1 box houses what can be even more disturbing.

• 2 weeks later...

BIG SIGH. the maps are big enough for everyone. Even with pillar spam. Just because someone has pillared in an area you WANT is really bad i know but it does not mean there is no place for you to build. Yes it might be pillared in the most perfect resources spot so move on and find a place and set down roots and wait it out. quit complaining and play the game.

Lots of people are getting pillars removed if near others base and all pillars removed if it is overaggressive even if you think you are protecting resources nodes. All It takes is 1 report and a video of all the spam. They WILL remove them. Time for people to start really thinking about how and where they want to build. No more of this I might build there one day.

if players just spam pillars to block your base/path just report them - GM's will get rit of them, but pillars protect you on official Servers -  so not every tard can "box-you-in". Like: You build a base and there are 2 pathes to walk out/in with your dinos… And prob. a troll join the server and just "gate you in"  (the "box-you-in" moment). 

For new players it's annyoing (y ofc.. everyone want to build on the nice spots), but for Players who played 1000 of Hours its's a protection

• 5 months later...

I understand pillar spamming to protect beaver spawns and resource spawns. But for a tribe to literally have thousands of pillars everywhere I mean everywhere is ridiculous. I'm on the island pve server. There is a tribe across from carbon island. He has thousands and thousands of pillars on the west side of the map. Not to protect dino spawns not to protect resources but to prevent ppl from actually building. I literally flown the whole map to find a place to build. Even inland and there's pillars everywhere. They only put pillars up for crowd control. I'm tired of the fact I see a vase half way auto decayed with no dino s no equipment nothing and the tribe that owns it keeps going into render distance just to keep it from deepening. It's not a tribe that is actually wanting to build there or a tribe that is trying to repair it to stay there. I know this for a fact because they have established bases on the other side of the map that has dino s has everything built no walls missing and what not. This is a big problem. What they need to do when ppl right tickets about ppl pillar and base spamming is to take a screen shot of the area in a whole not just one pillar but several pillars in one shot. Send it to the devs with a ticket. The devs can then warn the tribe to remove little hutt and pillar spamming in non resource and rare spawn locations and that they have been warned. If then again ppl report the same person with pillar spawns with screen shots to prove who it is and how excessive it is then the devs should wipe that tribe every dino structure rank/lol and make them start over. If they do it again they should be banned from the game at least that server. I've built a base before away from ppl only to log in the next day to find random pillars and structures around my base from the same person preventing me from finishing my base as well as I, can't finish building my walls. It's like them stopping me in my tracks. They do it to be sausages. This is pve server too. If they want to do things like that they should be forced from the devs to play PvP server.

• 4 months later...

The fix is for players to only be able to claim one area as a base and have this done with beds. outside of that area you should have a structural building limit and only be able to place sleeping bags.

Basically where ever you place a bed gives you a certain area around that bed that gives you max building structural limit. You could place multiple beds in the same area but not multiple spots.

outside of that area your building limit is reduced to a small number of structures that auto decay quickly regardless.

this would force people to have one main base and use platform saddles as bases if they wanted them in other places.

i get people want to protect Dino spawns and resources but just like mission areas just make places where important resources spawn not buildable.

because the reality is imho on most pve servers it’s just people be selfish hogging prime land for later use. They aren’t ‘protecting resources.’

on my genesis server all the prime building spots are pillared by the same 5-6 tribes. These are tribes that already have multiple giant bases and they are girding spots in the same biome just for pet building projects etc.

• 1 month later...

If you get to a server and most of the map is pillared by the same tribe, best to get to another server or report them.
If it is excessive use they will remove the pillars but it will take a little bit of efford on your side.

But like most people said on here, it is to protect yourself from the griefers and people who just dont know any better.
Our last base was blocked at every side by other tribes, you could only get there by flyers and use cryo to get our dinos out.
As soon as one tribe left and they removed their stuff, we pillared it so we could at least exit our base on foot. 
It is very annoying if people block the rare resource spawn or roads just because they want to troll you or they just dont know about it.

There is a difference between protecting yourself and spamming the whole map with pillars.
There will allways be people abusing the system and if your map is full of them, just go to another server because it will bring you more stress than joy.
I do like the idea of DaGoodNamesWereTaken to use flag or beacon system but that will be for ark 2 if they make one. 

pillars are not just for land claim^^ to protect ur bases as well …. random alt places pillars and teleporter starts bringing corrupt gigas lol all because the new officals wanna cry about pillars^^ pillars are a needed evil....play legacy awile handle things on ur own do diplomacy make friends ..survive without support bobs lol love you 

If SWC would treat resources like they do Crate drops, players would not be able to build on them. end of excuses!  pillars are not necessary.  SWC should, as stated above, give each player a block allotment for base size. any structures beyond that distance decay in a 24 hrs. no more leaving spike walls, traps, forward building, mini bases, walls stretching for half the map, nor pillars preventing other players from having a spot that is not occupied by a base.  As for server memory issues, the server provider needs to upgrade the memory for the server clusters.  If players were limited to a restricted base size, this would eliminate many of the server issues we face today.

I think most people who complain about no land, don't spend the time to get to know the people on the server.  People will give up land to other players who show they aren't just there for a week until they get bored and move on.  If you really want to play, you will find a spot to start, and then you would use communication and hard work to prove you are worth the land you will need to use.

You don't always need a GM to solve an issue, pillars can be removed by the tribes who have them down, dialog is key.

The very moment the guy "who had half the island pillared" went on vacation and his pillars decayed, around 6 box tribes made their way into the redwoods river, and now their only game is staying in their base, farming throughout an intricated system of gachas and selling dinosaurs for money.

And the server performance dipped a fffffffffreeeeaking lot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/16/2020 at 4:29 AM, GrumpyBear said:

I think most people who complain about no land, don't spend the time to get to know the people on the server.  People will give up land to other players who show they aren't just there for a week until they get bored and move on.  If you really want to play, you will find a spot to start, and then you would use communication and hard work to prove you are worth the land you will need to use.

You don't always need a GM to solve an issue, pillars can be removed by the tribes who have them down, dialog is key.

Why should a new player have to prove themselves worthy of land, that's ridiculous, they are entitled to build where they want as much as anyone else. It's just quicker to get GM rather than build a relationship and gain permission to build. Players shouldn't  have to be hindered playing in a 2x2 base and having to constantly ask people to remove pillar spam so they can build.

I for one would never feel the need to prove my worth just to build, I would just record all the pillar spam and report. Few days later bye bye pillars.

5 hours ago, reddotjellytot said:

Why should a new player have to prove themselves worthy of land, that's ridiculous, they are entitled to build where they want as much as anyone else. It's just quicker to get GM rather than build a relationship and gain permission to build. Players shouldn't  have to be hindered playing in a 2x2 base and having to constantly ask people to remove pillar spam so they can build.

I for one would never feel the need to prove my worth just to build, I would just record all the pillar spam and report. Few days later bye bye pillars.

You are on a public server that is survival based and land is claimed - it’s first come first serve.  

you missed the point entirely.   The point is there’s plenty of land because they aren’t looking hard enough,  exploring enough.   I fly around multiple servers and see open land on all of them.    

if new players are really in it to stick around , other players will be more receptive to helping them.  We get plenty of new people who jump on ask a million questions and then disappear for good,  or ask for Dinos and never really try to play.   These people are a compete waste of time and space, and won’t get the encouragement or tips on where to build by others.  If you want that,  you should learn how to play with others on a public server.

new players tend to just move in as close to an existing player on the server and end up blocking resources or parking their trikes all over the place and getting your giga stuck while trying to farm for meat.  It’s annoying, and players should have every right to not have to deal with those annoyances too.

if you want to play on a public server,  you will eventually have to learn how to get along with others.   Existing players don’t have to help you or not protect their hunting grounds for a new player who will decide it’s too hard and walk away.

Excessive pillaring  and buffering is a messy messy line based on a whole host of factors.   It shouldn’t be confused with the issues of not wanting a next door neighbor and not wanting anyone else on the server.   

some tribes have extra land because a tribemate quit or another tribe quit and left a base to another tribe.  Often that land is waiting to be cleared by existing tribes,  they aren’t required to clear the land the instant it’s no longer in use.   But they will often offer it up to newer players if they see someone really trying hard.   It’s not required of them to give it away or even tell anyone it will become available.

new players often don’t look much past the beaches and come here and complain they can’t find land.   It’s really rare to see a server completely blocked,  and should be reported if it is.

It's one thing to claim the land you are planning on building... completely different subject to just claim a ridiculous amount of land for no real purpose. 

on one of the maps I play on.. I kept hearing the same thing, Plenty of open space, while every place that looked open, was already pillared... I flew laps around the map looking for a spot to build for FIVE days before I found a tiny unpillared spot next to the swamp in rex central... while I waited over the span of almost a year before tribes with SEVERAL LARGE BASES across the map started to drop off the game. Thusly opening some land which was quickly filled.
 Anyone who thinks pillaring ridiculous amounts of land is ok, needs to reassess and evaluate their own moral structuring! It's definitely a self centered self serving viewpoint

when players claim a massive amount of land that they will never use,  that has ONE singular purpose.... to BLOCK a player from Access!

Add to that, when several players do that very same pillaring behavior, new players have no choice but to encroach upon your base... leading you to feel like you need to pillar them out so they can't invade "your territory"...  it's a serious problem that is self perpetuated by discourteous players.

• 2 months later...

I pillar spam for one of these reasons:

1. I'm marking off a perimeter to build my gates around.

2. I'm keeping the pillar pirates from spamming our build to interrupt our gameplay.

3. I'm preserving a node spawn so that they don't ruin either a dino spawn or material spawn.

Those are the only 3 reasons, and they are good ones.  Fact is, I've had Box tribes drop pillars into my front yard on several maps where they could squeeze one in just to mess with us and our build, I've seen many different types build over places that have resources hard to get on a map, and I've definitely seen larger tribes pillar spawn so broadly they've eliminated any chance of living in certain zones, blue zone in AB being chief among most of the instances.  I put out what I need to ensure we've got the room to build we need and to protect rare resources, because quite frankly the GM response time and handling of the situation is all but non-existent.

• 1 month later...
On 6/12/2019 at 9:00 AM, asmodiandevils said:

BIG SIGH. the maps are big enough for everyone. Even with pillar spam. Just because someone has pillared in an area you WANT is really bad i know but it does not mean there is no place for you to build. Yes it might be pillared in the most perfect resources spot so move on and find a place and set down roots and wait it out. quit complaining and play the game.

Maybe you happen to play on the one server that doesn't have an issue.  I have had bases in the sanctuary in three servers, and all three have at least two tribes that carpet-pillar-spam every 10 foundation lengths around every corner and the top of every building of the sanctuary, even though it is nowhere near their base, resources or travel routes.  They do it because it because they can - it keeps the number of bases down and allows them to grief people from a distance.  People have a right to complain just as you have the right to complain about complaining.  But that doesn't keep the trolls in the game safe from scrutiny.

I have seen these tribes work to pillar up to as many bases as possible to disrupt their modifications.  They also build bases that are specifically constructed to kill your frame rate using layers of greenhouse and rail walls with every tame uncryoed.  That way they can kite creatures into your base and it is a hassle if someone tries to reciprocate.  It is ok for people to call it out for what it is - griefing.  

Archived