PVE Pick up Wild Dinos and Walk backwards for Fliers

Gkar

Suggestion

5 replies to this server topic

I agree on all your points on the fliers carrying wild dinos. I certainly forgot to consider the corrupted dinos from extinction. oh well so much for that.

Regarding Flier backwars walking, I was wondering about that. What was their reason or logic in removing that feature? Imho I don't think it affects PVE if fliers could walk back, then again with what I've seen they've treated PVP and PVE mostly the same in terms of the updates and changes they've done to the game. i.e. the nerfing of dinos. 

7 hours ago, Gkar said:

Let us pick up wild dinos with fliers in PVE. IMHO it would lessen the need to build taming pens around the map. Also let fliers be able to walk backwards like owls/wyverns.

There is no need to build taming pens around the map, it's not a need or requirement, its a mindset, it's possible to tame everything without a taming pen, taming rafts are often more effective due to landownership issues.

And picking up things in PvE currently has atleast 2 other threads for it

Walking backwards is a neat idea though so +1 for walking backwards

4 minutes ago, Gkar said:

Let us pick up wild dinos with fliers in PVE. IMHO it would lessen the need to build taming pens around the map. Also let fliers be able to walk backwards like owls/wyverns.

They stopped PvE Wild Pick up because of griefers dropping Raptors and Troodons and other nasties in peoples bases. I'm not sure if they'd change it for that reason especially since you can pick up Allo's with a Wyv now. That'd be a lot of trouble. Imagine logging in with 21 mate and pack boosted Allo's in your gate. If they attacked a Giga they might enrage it which would cause crazy damage to your outside tames.

The backward walking is cool but it would seem unnatural on Argy's, Tapes, and Ptera's. 

It seems right on Wyv's. I'm not sure why Owls got it but it's definitely a bonus. I do think adding it to a Quetz would be both helpful and feel natural. 

7 hours ago, Gkar said:

Griefing would be a problem for Tribes not utilizing Velos and Xplants to protect their pens. (always thought that was hand holding ppl. who could not use tools available to them(i.e. xplants or roofed pens) and adapt to their situation when they removed fliers' ability to carry wilds) But allowing it would lessen stuff being built around the server, hopefully resulting in less stuff to load. Would also add another challenge to the game and give Xplants and Velos more use. Could also make ppl. think more about how they build their stuff to keep their tames safe from griefers rather than building behomoth gates as walls. Not being able to carry wild dinos breaks game immersion as well. They shouldn't have removed it in the first place.

As much as I want flier-carry and backwards-walking on official PvE, I have to disagree with you about nearly every single point you are trying to make.

Griefing would be a problem because of the people who are griefing, not because everyone doesn't have Plant-X, Velos, or Turrets.  If you can get to Metal tier on PvE, you are safe even from Wild Giga attacks.  Extinction brought Corrupted Dinos that can eat Tek tier, but they aren't typically found where people build bases (desert/snow/city/forest) unless they are kited there or wander over (for most spots, it is rare but some areas are close to drop spawns so it is SLIGHTLY more of an issue).

Also, in exactly the same way that cryopods and the kibble rework did not save the tamecaps, this would not leave less structures to load on a server.  People will not magically lose the desire to simply keep people from building places, and pickup would also not auto-demo all existing ramp-traps, so they would stay there.

Loads of people play on Island, Center, and Ragnarok with fewer people on Extinction, and fewer still on SE and Aberration.  On 5 out of the 6 maps of the official server network, when a tribe reaches Metal tier and can build a perimeter wall out of metal, the need to protect with turrets or the like drops to nearly nothing.  For many locations, Stone tier is the first drastic increase in base security but Wild Gigas are still a threat (a big one).  Why this is important:  Any step beyond Metal tier on 5 of the 6 maps (if you aren't a dum-dum and build your base on top of the Ragnarok or SE scars) is unnecessary.  This is PvE.  The spirit of PvE, empirically supported by game mechanic design and changes to the PvE game mode, is one of NOT having to devote time to countering threats that players present.  This is again not my opinion, but rather an easily observable fact by again, the choices to shape PvE since Early Access.  No one in PvE should be thinking of how to design their bases in order to counter a griefer-attack:  If they are, and the griefer attack is allowed and expected, it is no longer PvE.  So let's just keep PvE as PvE.

So, for these reasons, whether or not even I want it enabled, it will not be.  It is fun to beat our heads against the wall about changes like flier-carry, transfer timers, and the flier nerf in an attempt to show WildCard they shouldn't have changed things.  But they did, and that is the game we play now.  So, we should move on.  Of course, we don't have to move on, that is why I used the qualifier "should."  But it is definitely the best idea, because flier-carry will most likely (99.999% certainty) never be enabled again.

Backwards-walking?  It is possible, but not likely.

Griefing would be a problem for Tribes not utilizing Velos and Xplants to protect their pens. (always thought that was hand holding ppl. who could not use tools available to them(i.e. xplants or roofed pens) and adapt to their situation when they removed fliers' ability to carry wilds) But allowing it would lessen stuff being built around the server, hopefully resulting in less stuff to load. Would also add another challenge to the game and give Xplants and Velos more use. Could also make ppl. think more about how they build their stuff to keep their tames safe from griefers rather than building behomoth gates as walls. Not being able to carry wild dinos breaks game immersion as well. They shouldn't have removed it in the first place.

Archived