Automatic Language Translation

Caerbannog

Suggestion

Automatic Language Translation

So, to help foster a more inclusive environment to people of different nationalities, I would really love it if ARK had different language localization by default, but also had the capability to translate different languages to your choice language.

I and many people on English clients use a very large universal font pack to allow us to see Chinese, Japanese, and Cyrillic fonts. Additionally, I believe the reverse is true--people with other default languages often also use English Language globalization in addition to their own home language. This allows us to use google translate on our phones to try to hold conversations with our peers and pals from other countries.  However, this is a very clunky solution, and the global font pack is an imperfect system that makes it impossible to see small text like hypo/hyperthermic values on our character paper dolls.

I genuinely think if ARK added its own multi-language font pack into the game by default, this would help quell the rampant xenophobia that exists in game, and lend itself towards greater empathy. 

Additionally, if ARK went one step further and incorporated translation into the game (even though it would not be perfect translation), it would go a long ways towards cutting down all the hate. People would see other people as humans, as peers. Miscommunication and suspicion would be cut down, as we could explain to each other our actions and motivations. It would also aid with reporting as people would no longer have to guess whose tribe was whose if their computer was not set up to read a language foreign to them.

I know this is no small task. But I also know that it is a possible task, as some phone games already offer this feature.

Part of the beauty of ARK is that it is very much a global game. I love that I can log onto a server and see people speaking French, or Portuguese, or Chinese (and sometimes languages I don't even recognize). I think it would really add so much value and offer us the chance to be cultural ambassadors to each other if we could more easily communicate with each other.

5 replies to this server topic

font i can understand but pve guys, please, understand that google translate has spent billions of dollars and when you try to translate smth back to the original (english>x>english for example, you'll see huge anomalies. if there was a mistranslation, you know where everyone would point their fingers at

On 5/11/2019 at 5:15 AM, Caerbannog said:

But I also know that it is a possible task, as some phone games already offer this feature.

you sure about that? 

Agreed. I have used google translate to communicate with many people and even made friends with them but it is extremely clunky to have a conversation. We've all expressed a desire for the game to have a way to recognize the language you wish to see chat in and a way to detect other languages and translate them for you. I so wish this could happen.

Archived