Your Favorite Taming Experiences

DeHammer

Your Favorite Taming Experiences

One thing I love about this game is the diversity of the creatures, and related taming processes. Going after that special creature sometimes requires a lot of additional risk and effort. But it also makes the reward so much more satisfying, and results in some pretty incredible experiences; either as a group (camaraderie) or as a solo challenge. 

What's your favorite taming related experience? 

One of mine has to be taming my level 180 Tek Quetzal 'Bella', who tamed out to level 269. I solo tamed her in mid-air over Viking Bay. It was one of the most nerve racking tamings I've done because the rarity of seeing a top level Tek Quetzal and knowing I likely wouldn't have a second shot at one. After the KO, as the taming slowly progressed (even with kibble), the Queztal platform seemed to become more unsteady and the KO'd Tek Quetzal was sliding around a little against the traps walls. I just kept telling myself it "this is your one shot at this... get it right. But if something goes wrong, at least you gave it your best shot."

Thankfully the tame has a happy ending, and the sense of success I got from that experience was a real boost for me in setting other taming goals for myself. Another reward of that particular tame was seeing a 40 lvl roll on stamina (4000 stamina) post taming.  

Another memorable tame(s) was the day we decided to tame two Gigas (our first & second) as a whole tribe. I now tame Gigas solo, but there's just something about having a successful tame as a group. It was fun. While solo taming Gigas is a lot of work. 

Bella_02.jpg

24 minutes ago, d1nk said:

My favorite were during EA when a new creature was released every week (+/-) and you would blindly go and try to tame 'em :) 

That must have been fun. You know... I should try that some time. Instead of researching how to tame something. Hmmm. I know there's that Megalosaurus dino that I don't know much about yet. I think it has some very special taming requirements I am unfamiliar with as of yet. Maybe I should just go in cold and risk being torn to shreds a few times until I figure it out. I might try that. Thanks for the idea. :)

Lets go with one of my earliest taming experiences, taming my first ever rex. When I first started out on single player I set up in the cove next to the lava cave entrance. I had been aware of these two rexes rampaging just round the corner in the next bay and of course they got closer and closer.  Eventually they were getting too close so I decided to tame them, bearing in mind that I was still new to the game and essentially no idea what I was doing. So I used my newly tame ptera to perch myself onto of the nearest rock stack to try pelt the rexs with arrows. I ended up having to separate the pair and lure one of the rexs out to sea to get the sharks to kill that one.  I eventually pelted the remaining rex full of enough arrows to bring it down and tame it up... at which point I discovered I wasnt a high enough level to craft the saddle... but I had tamed it, dont think I even died once.

In terms of my favourite taming mechanic and overall experience for a particular species, I would have to chose rock drake 'taming' if I can call it that. Raiding rock drake nests in Aberration is one of my favourite activities in Ark to do. From prepping up to travel down through the red zone to get to nests to grab the first egg, fighting off the drake hoards to actually raising the drake is great fun. And then all the subsequent trips down once you have your first drake is just as fun. 

42 minutes ago, d1nk said:

My favorite were during EA when a new creature was released every week (+/-) and you would blindly go and try to tame 'em :) 

So just how do I tame these rather large compys with glowing eyes ? 

16 minutes ago, DeHammer said:

Hmmm. I know there's that Megalosaurus dino that I don't know much about yet. I think it has some very special taming requirements I am unfamiliar with as of yet. 

I look forward to the follow up post for this one, going to be a goodie. ?

So many great taming experiences, many different ones from Quetzals, to Mana's, high level Giga's, Rex's, etc.  I'd echo AngrySaltire in that my favorite experience wasn't taming, but getting eggs and in my case Wyvern Eggs.  I can't think of anything more exciting than jumping off your flyer with the blood pumping and picking up a super high level egg.  Since most of the time you are grabbing 20's, 50's, etc just the elation from grabbing say a 170 or 180 egg is hard to beat!

My worse/best tame was my first Theri. 

It slaughtered all my dino's so there I am on my base roof, firing arrows at it. It finally starts to run so I give chase on foot. Its torpor drops and it comes nack at me. 

I managed to get it stuck on someone's raft and finish knocking it out. It was like a level 60 or something. I'm taming it on berries. 4 hour tame. Pumping it full of narcs. I'm tired as it's 2 AM. It's at 93% tamed. I pump some more Narcs then look up some info on Dododex. 

It finally stands up. Oh no. It's still wild. It woke up! 

I am stubborn though. I run around it. Start unleashing arrows into it. Get it stuck again and then spend another 4 hours taming it. Lol. 

In the end I got my Charlize Therizinosaurus and every tame from that point was a cake walk until I tamed my 1st Giga. 

55 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

My worse/best tame was my first Theri. 

It slaughtered all my dino's so there I am on my base roof, firing arrows at it. It finally starts to run so I give chase on foot. Its torpor drops and it comes nack at me. 

I managed to get it stuck on someone's raft and finish knocking it out. It was like a level 60 or something. I'm taming it on berries. 4 hour tame. Pumping it full of narcs. I'm tired as it's 2 AM. It's at 93% tamed. I pump some more Narcs then look up some info on Dododex. 

It finally stands up. Oh no. It's still wild. It woke up! 

I am stubborn though. I run around it. Start unleashing arrows into it. Get it stuck again and then spend another 4 hours taming it. Lol. 

In the end I got my Charlize Therizinosaurus and every tame from that point was a cake walk until I tamed my 1st Giga. 

Hahahha thats my goto female theri names.. Charlize Theri and Theri Crews for male

Beginner server, my first giga. If anyone doesn't know, beginner is caped, dinos 30lvl character 44. I saw people chatting about giga, lvl 20 on metal mountain, so I pack my argy with narcotics, behe gates, trap , arows, 2-3 bows, fur and some meat for myself.  I didn't manage to place behemoth, everywhere where pillars,  so I tried to lure him with argy, bad idea, after 3 hours finally giga got stucked on someone base, I tranq him finally but than I realised I have forget kibble in base, which is on herbi Island. Low lvl low torpor, what now?? I killed myself, spawned in base, took kibble and went back but to late, Giga waked up and killed my argy. So I spent another 3-4 hours trying to tranq him, went again back in base because of arrows and bows. I did manage to tame him, but that was my first and only giga in begginer server. Never again. 

Now I can finish, I m still working. 

After that I went to Play on official. But in some strange way I missed that felling. I mean now u have everything, taming is easy, no mater what are u taming.  Because of that sometimes I still go after giga, or mana on foot. Much more interesting. Sometimes whole tribe goes on foot and that is hilarious. 

One of my favorites was back before kibble was a thing. Primes were REALLY hard to get back then, like only about 6 animals dropped primes and it was only 1-3ish primes each. Top that off with the server being LITTERED with foundations to prevent people from building which also prevents things from spawning and it was not easy to collect primes, AND back then it was very common for a dino you killed to float away before you could harvest it.  SO I had just gotten a new spino (bought him for 10k hand picked fiber, no tools or tames for fiber collection back then, it was the next day that the sickle came out). He is by todays standards a duckling but back then he was pretty decent. He and I would run around the map collecting primes for people who were taming things  (I call it running primes). Once alphas came out though we had to be much more careful, he would get eaten in no time. (he is currently only about lvl 72 lol)

The best experience was when i tried to tame my first Yuyrannus.

I was a big noob at that time, my base was just a 3x3 box. i build it with the intention, to build another floor if i need it. I was very far away from resources and was too lazy to get my ass on my argy and fly to the metal nodes.

And one day i was thinking about taming something big. The biggest thing i had at that time, was a Carno.

So i went to the snow biome, looking for a Yuty, untill i found a lvl 45, which was good for me. At this point, i didnt know a lot about traps, so i just set a bear trap and shot it with arrows. I didnt know, that its torpor was THAT high, so it killed me. To prevent that it is going to kill me again, i killed it.

So i went looking for a Yuty again. And i found a beautiful Yuty with white fur and a black stripe on the back. Taming it was actually pretty hard. It always scared away my creatures. So i just shot it with arrows in the open world, until it started to run. This was the fun part, because it was running all over the whole map and i missed with every second shot. 

But i knocked it out eventually. When it was tamed, it instantly became on of my favourite creature.

Then i looked for a girlfriend for Fluffy (thats what i called him), which wasnt as good as he, but still. So i did some breeding, which means i hatched one egg, but the baby was killed shortly after by an Alpha Carno.

my goodness. my most memorable tames were my most ignorant ones.  my best ones were the ones i did before i knew how to trap things.  my first day in ark... like back in 2015 i spawned on the east side of the island near the swamp.  i kept getting the snakes in my house to fight wild trikes and sometimes they would knock them out and i would tame those.

My first quetzal was also on the island before the second cold region expansion it was around there. me and a friend with an argent.  I carried him with the saddest low level argent you ever saw had to land several times he was trying to knock it out with a crossbow. we downed it 2 hours later and it fell down into the river and was eaten by carnivores.  my first therizinosaurus i tamed the first day they were released and i remember that a patch was pushed for some reason but i ignored it and we didn't update the server until i was done with my tame like 12 hours later.  turns out the patch was to fix the taming times on therizins. XD

my first mosasaurus was nerve wracking because it was just me and two friends. they had  scuba suitsand i had max oxygen with chowder back when they restored stamina and oxygen gave you signifigant swim speed.  We didn't realize there was a point they would dive back down so we just took turns swimming away from it and trying to hide in underwater caves.  We eventually knocked it out but got trapped in the cave by another mosa and a bunch of plesis.  it was going well but we started to run out of meat for the mosasaurus so i had them both give me their scuba suits and i chopped them up for meat for the mosa.  he was like level 20 but i was proud.

my first tusoteuthis was kind of funny because i read all these nightmare tails about how they would murder your stuff so i brought a mate boosted pair of 225 tamed dunkleos to taunt the tuso with. he didn't really hurt either of them and was tamed with no real fuss other than the occasional stupid thing trying to eat me.

Archived