The best way to lure wyverns in

Jaxifur

Hello!

I play on the Ragnarok Ark map, and my base is in the rock cove on the edge of the cliff next to the ocean, near the blue obelisk. I have tamed a Sabertooth, three Dilophosaurs, 2-3 Pelagornis, 2 Argentavis, 1 Jerboa, 1 Dimorphodon, 2 Parasuars, and 2 Pteranodon. I've been trying to get hands on a better flyer. I've had my eyes on stealing and hatching a wyvern egg for awhile now, but I don't know what the best trap is to get wyvern milk, all of the youtube videos are mostly Scorched Earth, but I'm skeptical about if they'll work in the one ravine near the field on Ragnarok. I'm very stressed about it, and kinda nervous. I mean, I don't know what bird to take, I don't know what trap to build, I dont know what the most effective tranq weapon would be, and I DEFINITELY don't have a backup plan. My birds melee damage is decent and they have high health, they're high levels too, and my difficulty is low, so should I be worried about one killing me? I wanna go after a lightning wyvern, to be specific enough, I feel like the Fire and Poison Wyverns are a bit more powerful than the Ice and Lightning Wyverns. I'm just at a dead end at this point now and I had no other choice but to come here. :/

5 minutes ago, Jaxifur said:

Hello!

I play on the Ragnarok Ark map, and my base is in the rock cove on the edge of the cliff next to the ocean, near the blue obelisk. I have tamed a Sabertooth, three Dilophosaurs, 2-3 Pelagornis, 2 Argentavis, 1 Jerboa, 1 Dimorphodon, 2 Parasuars, and 2 Pteranodon. I've been trying to get hands on a better flyer. I've had my eyes on stealing and hatching a wyvern egg for awhile now, but I don't know what the best trap is to get wyvern milk, all of the youtube videos are mostly Scorched Earth, but I'm skeptical about if they'll work in the one ravine near the field on Ragnarok. I'm very stressed about it, and kinda nervous. I mean, I don't know what bird to take, I don't know what trap to build, I dont know what the most effective tranq weapon would be, and I DEFINITELY don't have a backup plan. My birds melee damage is decent and they have high health, they're high levels too, and my difficulty is low, so should I be worried about one killing me? I wanna go after a lightning wyvern, to be specific enough, I feel like the Fire and Poison Wyverns are a bit more powerful than the Ice and Lightning Wyverns. I'm just at a dead end at this point now and I had no other choice but to come here. :/

The best method for getting Wyvern milk is kill Alpha wyverns, but since you dont have any rexes or gigas or other wyverns to do that you could try getting a daedon or snow owl and using it to keep the baby from starving to death by continually healing it.  Once you raise the garbage wyvern you could use it to kill a alpha.  Another method would be leading an alpha wyvern into a rex pack or a giga that you have tamed.  You can throw the tons of milk you get from killing it into the obelisk to reset the timer everytime it gets low.

2 hours ago, Jaxifur said:

Hello!

First off, Lightning wyv is the most powerful hands down. Does some serious damage and is also the most dangerous to face in the wild if you're running away, they have deadly aim. Fire doesnt do too much against you besides slowly drain hp, poison could kill you if you have 100hp and it lands a good shot (weave) That being said;

Ptera are great for luring wyverns into the traps. You can barrel roll ("C-spin") through normal un-door'd doorframes and 1x1 pillar spots, build accordingly. Griffin is great, too but for them to be used for trapping you need a bigger trap hole. I prefer the 1x1 pillar cage with behe gate infront, personally. 

Wyverns have pretty low torpor (**AND WAKE FAST! **) So you can knock em out with any ole primitive xbow or longneck... the problem lies in not getting sniped by the wyvern first :P With distance you can easily dodge em all. If need be put a small wall to hide behind incase.

Yes, the grassy area is great for a wyvern trap. Lots of good spots in Rag. 

Sum it up, trapping isnt too bad. If you can survive the retrieval of the egg then you shouldnt have problems. Ive used all fliers to retrieve an egg and trap. (Yes, even Pelagornis as my personal self imposed rule for my current playthrough) So you can do it on any :) The hardest has been Argentavis, too slow and despite having 10k hp died pretty easily. As to specific trap, any of them will work. If you use a Ptera you can use any trap out there.

Good luck! 

For a trap, in rag, I saw a guy put 5-6 behemoth gates in the field, spaced far enough apart to get a flyer through. Fairly close to the end gate (last gate from where you would lead them in) he had a mini base where he had milk storage. He had the behemoth gates, except for the last pad on a keypad code. So when he flew out the last gap he would land and hit the keypad code. Closing all the other gates and trapping it in a close spot. The key was he agro’d one at a time. He would get on the base of the ravine and fire a shot at one. 

Back in the oldentime grandpa days my first time solo getting a egg and raising a wyvern i just tamed 2 high level puhternadons bred out about 8-10 babies, they are only like a 24 hour raise so its fairly easy and effortless to get an army, works fairly well, nowadays there are so many options snow owl is fairly decent

So I feel I must add in here on the alpha thing. Someone posted up above about needing giga or rex to kill alpha. You can actually trap an alpha just like any other wyvern. Instead of knocking it out and opening inventory to get milk (like on females), just kill it after its knocked out. I have done it tons of times. Quickest and easiest way to get milk, if there is an alpha down there.

As far as traps go, about 99% of the traps out there are garbage. They are designed poorly and require you to close the gate. Since most of the people don't care, they either do no pin them or only pin for their friends. A well designed trap has a tile on either side of the door. This does not require you to close it. See if you can find one of those. They are a little bigger than the quick easy square ones people toss up. What you are looking for is the main door to have room on either side. This makes the wyvern go in the corner when it turns, which prevents it from "seeing" the opening out the door and flying away. If you can find one that has the doors opened inward, even better. As long as there is room on each side for the wyvern to get stuck.

Traps are traps, scorched or Rag, I have had them work the same way.  Pteranodon or Gryphon will work, if their level is high enough to take a few lightening bolts.  We used behemoth gates and blocking the outlet enough to trap the wyvern and not your creature with a keypad mounted behind a blast shield.  I have seen them evolve significantly over the last few years, so try some, whats the worst that can happen (you die, your bird dies respawn, get more birds, carry on...) ?

I used S+ behemoth gates on a 5sec timer to close to get away from the keypad issue. Now I just fly in stay straight and the doors close automatically behind you. If the Wyvren is more than 5 secs behind you I find they either lose interest or dodge the gate.

My pen is way too elaborate but I had loads of fun and frustrations making it. The quick and cheap ones on You Tube do work well.

I seem to have the best luck trapping , when I make the entrance to the trap facing AWAY from the direction of the Wyvern area.  yes, this means a longer trip to lure the wyvern around and into the entrance of the trap, but this way, if the Wyvern tries to escape, they seem to want to escape back towards the wyvern scar, which would mean they are stuck in the trap longer. (hope that makes sense.)

Forget about the wyvern's milk at first. Here's what we did. We're on Rag as well:

1) Steal an egg... don't worry about level as long as its half decent.

2) Hatch said egg. Don't worry about imprinting. Or if you do imprint some, don't worry if you can't imprint fully. 

3) Take the new wyvern back to the trench and slay one normal wyvern to start leveling it up. 

4) Once somewhat leveled use the new wyvern to steal more eggs. Store them for now.

5) when you see an alpha wyvern - kill it and take its tons of wyvern's milk.

6) Hatch stored eggs and fully imprint. 

I'd just add that, on Ragnarok, the easiest place to begin is the wyvern's trench in the highlands area - upper level. The the other place to steal eggs on Rag near the green obelisk is more difficult. 

I'm also going to add a few of my own thoughts on things I've learned. 

Your first wyvern should be any of the main three types (poison, lightning, fire) and here's why... because in a wyvern vs wyvern battle the absolute best attack is the bite. Forget about using lightning bolts and poison balls. The easiest way to land certain kill damage is with a close up and personal chomp. 

When you fight another wyvern, go head to head with fire and lightning wyverns. As you draw close to their weapons range, hit the 'shift' key and use some stamina to speed up and then bite them as you sail by. It really throws off their attacks, and you'll land some good damage. The simple fact is, even if you get hit with lightning, when both wyverns are closing head to head quickly, the exposure to their attacks is minimal. Fire wyverns cause little damage. With poison wyverns, never go head to head. The risk there is that they'll launch a gas ball right when you are face to face. Instead, let the poison wyvern follow you as you move toward a creature distraction on the ground. If the wyvern follows you, they'll get distracted by the creature on the ground and you can either choose to leave them or tail bit them. If they turn around, turn around yourself and bite them from behind. Or if you have access to a gas mask, you can take the on head to head as other wyverns.

3 hours ago, DeHammer said:

I'm also going to add a few of my own thoughts on things I've learned. 

Your first wyvern should be any of the main three types (poison, lightning, fire) and here's why... because in a wyvern vs wyvern battle the absolute best attack is the bite. Forget about using lightning bolts and poison balls. The easiest way to land certain kill damage is with a close up and personal chomp. 

When you fight another wyvern, go head to head with fire and lightning wyverns. As you draw close to their weapons range, hit the 'shift' key and use some stamina to speed up and then bite them as you sail by. It really throws off their attacks, and you'll land some good damage. The simple fact is, even if you get hit with lightning, when both wyverns are closing head to head quickly, the exposure to their attacks is minimal. Fire wyverns cause little damage. With poison wyverns, never go head to head. The risk there is that they'll launch a gas ball right when you are face to face. Instead, let the poison wyvern follow you as you move toward a creature distraction on the ground. If the wyvern follows you, they'll get distracted by the creature on the ground and you can either choose to leave them or tail bit them. If they turn around, turn around yourself and bite them from behind. Or if you have access to a gas mask, you can take the on head to head as other wyverns.

While I agree that when you pin something Wyverns bites are very effective, nothing compares to learning to properly circle with a  lightning wyvern and blast other wyverns coming up behind you.  A single lightning Wyvern with well pumped stamina can kill an entire stack of wild Poison and Fire wyverns with as little as three lightning blast durations and not take a single hit if you circle and fire over your shoulder.

Nobody ever mentions it, and I've not seen any videos on it, but there is a cave below the mountain facing green Ob right off the river that runs into Wyvern bay.  You can actully fly right through this cave because it's open on both ends.  What I do is put pillars on the bay side of the cave, enough where a Griffin can fly through but the Wyvern cannot.  Then I build a small stone bunker outside the pillared side with windows frames facing the cave.  Use your Griffin or Pteri and have a Wyvern follow you into the river side of the cave and then fly through the pillars.  She's trapped and you can fly into your small bunker and close the door shooting the Wyvern from the windows.  It works great, and doesn't take a ton of resources.  I've also done it without the bunker but it just makes me a bit too uneasy being exposed out there so that part is up to you.  If you just make the pillars and no bunker it's of course by far the cheapest and fastest way to go.

1 hour ago, RipRavage said:

While I agree that when you pin something Wyverns bites are very effective, nothing compares to learning to properly circle with a  lightning wyvern and blast other wyverns coming up behind you.  A single lightning Wyvern with well pumped stamina can kill an entire stack of wild Poison and Fire wyverns with as little as three lightning blast durations and not take a single hit if you circle and fire over your shoulder.

Yes, I agree the lighting attack is fantastic, but it takes a lot of practice to get the aim true and steady. For someone starting out and trying to get their first wyvern and alpha wyvern (for milk), the bite is effective and far more stamina efficient. I usually bump my wyvern melee damage up over 1500%. It seems to work best for me to focus on melee damage as opposed to health points. Not sure how others find it though. 

6 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Yes, I agree the lighting attack is fantastic, but it takes a lot of practice to get the aim true and steady. For someone starting out and trying to get their first wyvern and alpha wyvern (for milk), the bite is effective and far more stamina efficient. I usually bump my wyvern melee damage up over 1500%. It seems to work best for me to focus on melee damage as opposed to health points. Not sure how others find it though. 

If you are going to go for a bite, I would ensure its always on a fire Wyvern since they have an immunity to Alpha Wyverns fire breath attack.  Poison Wyverns are really only good for PVP popping riders off the backs of mounts since their gas hits riders.  Lightning will always be king for me though, just my preference.

I built a pin on ragnarok right outside of the bay wyvern cave out in the water and i usually just piss off a wyvern in the cave, swim out with a sarco and once it is in the cage i just dive with the sarco and close the pin and swim out of the bottom, knock them out from underwater with a crossbow them loot them for milk and eat them with my sarco.  needlessly complicate? yes. fun? also yes.  water confuses them.

you can lure wyverns into the lava waterfalls on rag fairly easily. 

can be a bit dangerous so i'd recommend not using your best dinos or holding onto your best gear while doing it. I use a ptera because they change direction on a dime and arent worth anything.

Trapping wyverns is pretty easy though I did it first try in someone else's trap and I had no idea what i was doing. always good to have a little wall nearby that you can hide behind when they use their ranged attacks on you. 

I'm sure we could describe how to make a trap here but there's plenty of youtube videos available. Planning on making one soon, thinking a tek behe gate would do nicely

Archived