Make pillar blocking equate to tribe wipes

Suggestasaurus

Suggestion

Make it known that if a tribe takes part in pillar blocking building in pve maps that their entire tribe will be wiped, this will make it so that pillar blocking is misconduct classed as greifing. Seeing as the aim of it is to keep people new players from being able to play on that map. If someone is reported for pillar blocking, simply wipe them removing the pillars in the process. This will make people less inclined to take part in pillaring maps because they do not want to lose the work that they accomplish.

20 replies to this server topic

7 hours ago, Lowly said:

Yes really, I was interested to see how and why people feel that they need to protect them. Mainly to see if everyone had the same reasons or if everyone had different reasons also to give the developers an opportunity to read why pve players justify to the developers why they pillar so much land so the developers have this idea as up until not I don't think anyone has taken the time to actually tell the developers why land ownership is a thing

The devs would need to add a lot more no build areas to protect spawns and resources. But this would cause issues with structures that are already there.

Pillars to protect spawns and resources is a known strategy. The devs at one point announced a pillar change that would have eliminated this necessary use of pillars, and there was enough player feedback to stop the change. https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/articles.html/community-crunch-134-small-tribes-servers-upcoming-structure-changes-more-r822/

19 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

The devs would need to add a lot more no build areas to protect spawns and resources. But this would cause issues with structures that are already there.

Pillars to protect spawns and resources is a known strategy. The devs at one point announced a pillar change that would have eliminated this necessary use of pillars, and there was enough player feedback to stop the change. https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/articles.html/community-crunch-134-small-tribes-servers-upcoming-structure-changes-more-r822/

Which resources are you talking about, metal, crystal, obsidian, the rare resources are already protected, so no change would be required

12 hours ago, Lowly said:

Breakdown, critical resource spawns are generally non buildable areas

In theory if someone builds on a player spawn the game does not allow players to spawn there and pushes them to the next available spawn, this is some times why you pick wear 2 and spawn I'm hard 1, I say in theory as it doesn't always work in practice, the support staff are generally good at making players move when there base is build on a player spawn though

Based on what I have seen with huge bases and huge resource blocking techniques, if someone blocks Dino spawns the the Dino's are moved to the next nearest spawn, seen a lot of 7 brontos spawning ontpp of each other right in a corner between water and someone's base to get a good idea that this is indeed a thing  and makes meat runs easier as a result as all spawns accumulated in one spot instead of being spread around, 

So the only one that has any weight is protecting player spawns, which doesn't justify owning vast sectjons of land in land where people dont spawn

Thanks for taking the time to justify land pillaring

No. They all have weight. Just because you haven't had it happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Go to single player and just fly around the map. Check the metal spawns. Check the beaver dam spawns. Then go to a server unregulated by pillars and you'll see the difference. Entire areas just wiped out of resources because someone plopped a big stupid base on it because it was close to that resource. 

On my Rag server, a friend had the swamp area pillared. Meat runs for day. When he quit I decided to let the game play out. 4 bases built in the area in a month and the Paracer population in the area was cut to a third of what it was. To the point, it didn't even make sense to go there for meat anymore. 

People bitch about the grind and slow rates but their building decisions directly influence how much longer things take.

All this being said, you have your mind locked and I have mine locked from personal experience.

Pillars are necessary. Pillars are welcomed. If people got off the beaches, they'd find plenty of places to build. 

Devs need to tribe wipe pillor spammers

The average pve server has about 10 on and the reason is because people are spamming everywhere with pillors, beaches,jungles,EVERYWHERE, and this makes it impossible to lay traps.

I think the devs need to wipe all spammers, i agree near spawn areas but not just anywhere, AND NO BEFORE YOU SAY I WONT GO TO UNOFFICIAL BECAUSE ADMINS ARE MORE ABUSIVE THAN THE SPAMMERS.

My server is NA-PVE-Official-TheCenter84

5 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

No. They all have weight. Just because you haven't had it happen to you doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Go to single player and just fly around the map. Check the metal spawns. Check the beaver dam spawns. Then go to a server unregulated by pillars and you'll see the difference. Entire areas just wiped out of resources because someone plopped a big stupid base on it because it was close to that resource. 

On my Rag server, a friend had the swamp area pillared. Meat runs for day. When he quit I decided to let the game play out. 4 bases built in the area in a month and the Paracer population in the area was cut to a third of what it was. To the point, it didn't even make sense to go there for meat anymore. 

People bitch about the grind and slow rates but their building decisions directly influence how much longer things take.

All this being said, you have your mind locked and I have mine locked from personal experience.

Pillars are necessary. Pillars are welcomed. If people got off the beaches, they'd find plenty of places to build. 

Thank you for examining what was meant by resources

I've seen beaver dams spawning inside people's foundationed and gated bases 

I've seen with my own eyes with a pillar in my hand that I cannot place pillars on metal spawns on the island 

Protecting meat, well meat spawns everywhere on the map, I often do meat runs in caves or the ocean.

Protecting plants for bushes or fiber, well that spawns s on the entire map,

Protecting stone we'll that's everywhere or a doedi in the already game protected metal and obsidian spawns

Protect wood and thatch, again everywhere on the map 

So I don't see why people need to protect a third of the map for those basic resources that are everywhere

And I don't have my mind locked, I'm listening to these suggestions and holding conversations about them. I have my personal orchard, it's got stone wood and bushes in it and is 8 behes by 15 behes, and attached to my base where no Dino's spawn so I see the need to preserve a small amount of land for resourcing 

On 5/9/2019 at 4:34 AM, Lowly said:

Which resources are you talking about, metal, crystal, obsidian, the rare resources are already protected

metal, crystal, Obsidian, Beaver Dams, Giga Spawns, Pearl Spawns, Oil Rocks, and MORE! They are not all pre-protected.

A lot (more like MOST) Rare Resources are not protected by no-build zones. While there are a lot of resources across the map, it takes a LONG TIME to travel from one side of the map to the other. I have not seen any metal nodes in non-build zones. The only non-build zones I have seen are around drops, and around Obelisks, and inside caves.

Example: I could have harvested the obsidian a 5 min ride from where I am, but oh WAIT! Someone slapped foundations there, so there is no obsidian next door. I have to fly 15+ minutes into dangerous areas for a very heavy resource, because some dilo placed foundations down, that could have been saved if a GM didnt remove the pillars that were there.

I have seen numerous Obsidian spawns blocked by foundations, beaver dams blocked by foundations, giga spawns blocked by foundations, and entire cliffs of metal walled off by locked dino gates too... The list goes on. Those Foundations are rarely supporting houses. Just a row of foundations, making it pretty obvious it was put there just to troll everyone else.

Then there's the bases built over new player spawns. I've been stuck in their structures, inside their structures, cant get out. too much work to write a ticket that maybe seen weeks later, and a high chance of the ticket being completely dismissed.

All on PvE too.

There are good AND bad pillars.

But I have seen players who hate ALL pillars, seemingly unaware of what good ones will do.

There are good pillars. I've seen them, I've placed them. And if any of mine are in anyone's way, just ask... if I am not needing to protect the area, I maybe very willing to move it for you, if you ask nicely. If I wont move it, I will give a reason why the pillar is there.

On 5/9/2019 at 9:37 AM, Lowly said:

I've seen beaver dams spawning inside people's foundationed

A beaver likely wandered inside. As far as I know, beavers poo out the dams, and can spawn with the dams. If a lake that spawns beavers is completely surrounded by foundations, there will be no more beavers spawning there. No beavers, no more dams.

In some servers, if I looted every single dam that is on the map, it still isnt enough for my building needs. Multiple players may play on one server, so every single beaver spawn blocked off, is just one less batch of Cement Paste that can be collected. Every node is precious to some of us, for some of us need/want to collect every single one.

There's also some resources that are in more difficult areas. I need to play it safe and not go into super dangerous areas, so that limits how many nodes are accessible to me. Currently on a Center server, I need a LOT of pearls, and there are so few in the safest area for me (which is still a little too dangerous) about 1/4 of that area is blocked off by player structures, so there are less pearls to gather there, and there isnt very much there to begin with.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:37 AM, Suggestasaurus said:

If someone is reported for pillar blocking, simply wipe them removing the pillars in the process.

I disagree with the suggestion. Too easily abused.

1) build up against someone's pillars that are protecting obsidian spawns

2) file a report claiming the pillars blocked you in

3) Gm believes the false report and removes the pillars

This should never happen (but it has). GM is human, they made a mistake.

4 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

So that the whole server can benefit off the resources and dino's that come from that spawn.

Early Access players remember having to die and chop up their bodies just to have enough meat to feed their couple of tames.

Or how about spawning into someone's base built on a player spawn with a full inventory and now your stuck in that foundation until you die because they are ignoring chat or haven't been on for days.

Check out the sweet new Rex BP I got. Now if only the metal spawns weren't covered with bases so I don't have to bang river rocks for a whopping 4 metal per hit. 

I'd prefer someone not infringe on my game the same way they don't want me to infringe on their game. People who pillar just took it upon themselves to protect their interests since WC didn't make important areas no build spots. 

Breakdown, critical resource spawns are generally non buildable areas

In theory if someone builds on a player spawn the game does not allow players to spawn there and pushes them to the next available spawn, this is some times why you pick wear 2 and spawn I'm hard 1, I say in theory as it doesn't always work in practice, the support staff are generally good at making players move when there base is build on a player spawn though

Based on what I have seen with huge bases and huge resource blocking techniques, if someone blocks Dino spawns the the Dino's are moved to the next nearest spawn, seen a lot of 7 brontos spawning ontpp of each other right in a corner between water and someone's base to get a good idea that this is indeed a thing  and makes meat runs easier as a result as all spawns accumulated in one spot instead of being spread around, 

So the only one that has any weight is protecting player spawns, which doesn't justify owning vast sectjons of land in land where people dont spawn

Thanks for taking the time to justify land pillaring

And sorry for the huge miscommunication, you aren't o play center, I play mostly island, on island the tops of the mountains, where obsidian and metal and crystal spawns are all protected building areas

Also not sorry for quoting you but quoting you then deleting almost all the text that isn't relevent to my reply would take about 5 minutes on my phone

2 hours ago, Lowly said:

Why do spawns need to be protected, sounds like a dumb question but try and justify protecting spawns

So that the whole server can benefit off the resources and dino's that come from that spawn.

Early Access players remember having to die and chop up their bodies just to have enough meat to feed their couple of tames.

Or how about spawning into someone's base built on a player spawn with a full inventory and now your stuck in that foundation until you die because they are ignoring chat or haven't been on for days.

Check out the sweet new Rex BP I got. Now if only the metal spawns weren't covered with bases so I don't have to bang river rocks for a whopping 4 metal per hit. 

I'd prefer someone not infringe on my game the same way they don't want me to infringe on their game. People who pillar just took it upon themselves to protect their interests since WC didn't make important areas no build spots. 

6 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

Why do PvE players need to protect spawns and resources, really? 

Yes really, I was interested to see how and why people feel that they need to protect them. Mainly to see if everyone had the same reasons or if everyone had different reasons also to give the developers an opportunity to read why pve players justify to the developers why they pillar so much land so the developers have this idea as up until not I don't think anyone has taken the time to actually tell the developers why land ownership is a thing

One of the main reasons for different maps is an abundance of different resources. Crystal? plenty on center. Metal? plenty on AB etc etc.

You can't stop people from making bases and you aren't likely to get someone to wipe a base for a pillar you *think* is keeping you from resources.

I've been playing*almost* a year, And I've had to make do.

Find work around's and explore new maps which is part of the fun of this game.

If you want endless resources play single player or get a dedicated server, I have both and I still play on official.

Be proactive and not want to wipe people just because you are a tiny bit inconvenienced. Wait to you play on extinction and the

people really don't give a raptor about your spawns.... Have a nice day.

Oh PS--- The homestead update that just came out.. well it's all about making bigger and better bases. .. sooo yeah.

And nope I won't look back at this post to see a reply because I've said what I had to say. I doubt it will make much difference in your

universe. 

Good luck. 

You are gonna need it.

2 hours ago, Suggestasaurus said:

Make it known that if a tribe takes part in pillar blocking building in pve maps that their entire tribe will be wiped, this will make it so that pillar blocking is misconduct classed as greifing. Seeing as the aim of it is to keep people new players from being able to play on that map. If someone is reported for pillar blocking, simply wipe them removing the pillars in the process. This will make people less inclined to take part in pillaring maps because they do not want to lose the work that they accomplish.

Surely some sort of inspection or ecmvkdence should be given and not just simply wipe anyone that is reported

Archived