What Advice Would You Give?

DeHammer

I've been playing Ark for just under six months now. I've learned a lot in that time. It occurred to me that I would have really benefited me to have had some sound advice in a few areas. So, if you could give some good advice to someone just starting out, in any area of the game, what would it be?

Here's my advice to others just starting out with taming and trying to compare dinos to decide which of their tames they should keep (an upgrade) or which dino they should ditch... don't judge the quality of a dino based on level. Two level 150 Rexes are not the same. In fact a level 140 Rex could be far superior to a level 150 Rex. So don't just ditch a level 140 for a level 150 automatically based on level. The level just indicates how many stats boosts they got, and doesn't speak to how they were distributed. Instead, focus on the stats distribution and which Rex has the higher #'s in the stats that matter (health, damage, stamina).

Best advice, play pvE. On Xbox it’s not bad. I quit pvp after getting meshed 2 weeks ago and i already started breeding boss dinos. Just ask a tribe to remove pillars (most pillarers aren’t trolls, they’re either protecting something or are reserving potential bases) and they most likely will.

I asked an online tribe and they let me have the big iceberg on Island immediately. Trust me, it’s better to play pvE. The fighters on pvp are sociopaths and relentless, or just cheaters in my case. Save yourself the trouble and don’t risk it, please.

I'd emphasize that all the various game systems, taming, building, crafting etc are deeper than they appear and are frequently interrelated. 

There aren't three different types of narcotic food for no reason, there are relevant differences between them.

But new players are rarely interested in long-winded discussions about long-term outlooks. So I stick to one piece of advice. Keep everything.

Don't, for any reason, do anything dangerous or serious after wine. You always end up redoing it. ;)

• Split Meat stacks to make spoiled meat for Narco's
  • Tame a Trike.....even if you dont use it they cool
  • Do NOT forget a roof on your dino pen in dangerous areas
  • Do NOT take your best Pick and Hatchet Rex Hunting
  • While flying keep your finger AWAY from the dismount key

My advice: it doesn't matter how much experience or advice you have. A lot of this game is trial and error, and learning from mistakes. Eventually you'll play for long enough to know how to avoid most of the mistakes, keyword 'most' ;)

Even us long term players who have been here since early access still get caught out with weird game mechanics!

My only advice is to remember its just a game and enjoy it. Dont get caught up over other peoples behaviours. Start off slowly, dont try and rush ahead and get given lots of things by players or it will ruin your experience.

Enjoy dying at the start - yes its constant but once you are established, that fear dissolves and dying is very rare. The new ARK experience is learn to love dying.

My big revelation in super noob times was what the heck a bola is. Dear god. After I figured those out I felt like an idiot for chasing parasaurs up and down every god-forsaken beach on The Island. 

Some other useful tidbits:

• The awesome red glow is bad. Do not try to pet it.
  • Know what tools are best for what resource. I do NOT want to talk about how long it took me to gather metal with a hatchet...
  • You will never have enough of something. As soon as you think you have enough hide/thatch/fiber/etc for the end of days, you will run out. 
  • You will make stupid mistakes. So when you do, post them here so we can laugh at ...... er I mean with.... you.

8 hours ago, Monde said:

While flying keep your finger AWAY from the dismount key

This is a good one. I had such difficulty with accidentally hitting 'E' when moving around, that I ended up swapping the 'R' and 'E' mappings. Now 'R' is my use/ride/dismount key and 'E' is my reload key. Much better. 

I think it might even be best if they had separated the 'use' from the 'ride/dismount' functions. 

Also... some other key related advice... don't get pressing buttons quickly when there's potential lag and you're doing something like dismounting, checking drop, taking items, and re-mounting. A few times I've jumped off in a dangerous area, checked a drop, then went to transfer items ('T') and instead whistled my wyvern... causing it to take flight leaving me ont he ground with the drop and circling predators. 

don't be afraid to explore, i spent my first three months of ark just farming metal on rag cause i was too scared to leave spawn.

when i finally decided to explore, i went halfway across the map to wyvern trench and got my favorite ptera killed. 

lesson 2 don't get attached to dinos that you actually use. they will die, and you may or may not get depressed.

Archived