Fix single player resources respawn

dodogal

There has been a core problem in single player mode which shows the single player mode gameplay was never tested extensively.

After a while resources nodes are harder and harder to find , they simply don't respawn, and the only way to get more metal, etc is to CHEAT with the server  sliders, which doesn't make any sense

A game should NEVER force the player to cheat, especially for CORE mechanics.

Fix this problem please, this should be a priority, we're years past the release now.

SUGGESTION : one potential way to fix this long running CORE problem that bugs every solo player is probably to fix hibernation mode so it doesn't freeze respawn counters

1 hour ago, TomBakerARK said:

I have to +1 this. 

While it sucks , I could learn to live with waiting for metal nodes to re-spawn before I logged out and quit, but since the game has a tendency to randomly crash, that effectively nullifies your ability to control metal re-spawning and can lead to wiping out a large portion of your ability to get mats.

I'm fairly certain this was done in conjunction with the hibernation to improve performance. Has anyone actually tested the -preventhibernation to see if this fixes it?

I ended up spending a couple hundred dollars and buying an I5 and host my own cluster servers from it because SP was broke as F.

I do think this glitch is related to hibernation, while I can not confirm 100% due to how time consuming this issue would be to debug for end users, I think all it takes to fix this CORE issue is to NOT freeze respawn timers during hibernation .

We shouldn't have to buy a second PC or use cheat codes to fix CORE mechanics.

1 hour ago, Aylana314159 said:

Overall SP mode really needs some TLC.

Not a TLC, single player mode is BROKEN, the CORE mechanics are BROKEN and we're 2 years past the release date.

4 minutes ago, dodogal said:

Not a TLC, single player mode is BROKEN, the CORE mechanics are BROKEN and we're 2 years past the release date.

To be fair TLC can be used in this context. Single player needs some love to fix all the broken things plus some added extras, not to mention how unstable the whole thing is. I take it Artifact of the Skylord is still broken lol ? Even something as simple as the game saving on single player is broken. I could go...

• Joebl0w13 locked and unlocked this topic
  • Joebl0w13 locked and unlocked this topic

An Intel Core i3 with integrated graphics could easily run a server. You could even invite a friend to play. 2nd hand parts on the marketplace could easily work. Even DDR3 RAM. You don't have to buy Windows 10 either. Easy peasy.

Yeah I know, Singleplayer should be what you want. I just remind myself that this was a multiplayer game from the beginning. If you don't want to spend money, I could suggest any number of servers out here that cost you $0 to play.

19 minutes ago, Sphere said:

An Intel Core i3 with integrated graphics could easily run a server. You could even invite a friend to play. 2nd hand parts on the marketplace could easily work. Even DDR3 RAM. You don't have to buy Windows 10 either. Easy peasy.

Yeah I know, Singleplayer should be what you want. I just remind myself that this was a multiplayer game from the beginning. If you don't want to spend money, I could suggest any number of servers out here that cost you $0 to play.

This is the most stupid thing I've heard for a while, we should have to buy another PC rather than expect an easy fix for a CORE gameplay problem.

5 minutes ago, dodogal said:

This is the most stupid thing I've heard for a while, we should have to buy another PC rather than expect an easy fix for a CORE gameplay problem.

Yeah, I know. Having to buy another pc to host. But, hosting on the same machine you game on isn't exactly the best idea either. Just that the drawbacks to singleplayer now, versus hosting on some cheap hardware. This is primarily a multiplayer game, and your solutions are the hope that maybe somebody will fix it later down the road. Or you could join one of the many different servers that already exist out there. ?‍♀️

1 minute ago, Aylana314159 said:

You don't need a second PC. The server software + separate client is more efficient than the SP mode where client pulls double duty.

Yeah, but it's easier to run a low powered mini-server 24/7 somewhere else in your house than your gaming rig which is probably next to your bed. You might get some friends who want to play with you and keeping it up has it's perks.

2 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Yeah, I know. Having to buy another pc to host. But, hosting on the same machine you game on isn't exactly the best idea either. Just that the drawbacks to singleplayer now, versus hosting on some cheap hardware. This is primarily a multiplayer game, and your solutions are the hope that maybe somebody will fix it later down the road. Or you could join one of the many different servers that already exist out there. ?‍♀️

Yeah, but it's easier to run a low powered mini-server 24/7 somewhere else in your house than your gaming rig which is probably next to your bed. You might get some friends who want to play with you and keeping it up has it's perks.

Not everyone has two computers. I ran my solo LAN server from my desktop for a long time before i built a new desktop. Now i have server and client on separate computers. But it worked just fine before for 1 person.

4 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Not everyone has two computers. I ran my solo LAN server from my desktop for a long time before i built a new desktop. Now i have server and client on separate computers. But it worked just fine before for 1 person.

Hmm, okay will take notes. But yeah, good to see that you could eventually get a separate machine. I had to do the same myself.

• Volunteer Moderator

Yes, you can run the game in both server mode and client mode, at the same time, on the same computer.  Do it when I am testing configs, debugging, or even doing certain types of recoveries.

@dodogal

Have you considered decreasing the respawn rate, so that resource will simply come back sooner?

24 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

You don't need a second PC. The server software + separate client is more efficient than the SP mode where client pulls double duty.

Hmmm... might be worth a test, I never tried because I though the game would run much slower...  But if you say it runs even better then I might give it a try... still they should fix this issue regardless. I am almost sure the problem is that respawn counters are frozen during hibernation and that it is fairly easy to fix, when nodes go out of hibernation, their counter should be updated. I'm not an expert programmer but I can't see any major difficulty there. The hardest part is to get the attention of the devs on this issue which has been bugging so many players to the point some use a second PC .

2 minutes ago, Jerryn said:

@dodogal

Have you considered decreasing the respawn rate, so that resource will simply come back sooner? 

This is what I call "cheating" I want to play the game as it is intended to be played, including having to wait for nodes to respawn, otherwise I might as well spawn the metal directly in my inventory.

14 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

I disagree here. WC intended for the game to be customizable with both settings and mods.

Sorry but this is off topic, the problem here is not the time it takes  for nodes to respawn

You can spend 1000000000 hours in game and the nodes won't respawn

The problem here is a CORE gameplay mechanics being BROKEN

38 minutes ago, dodogal said:

Sorry but this is off topic, the problem here is not the time it takes  for nodes to respawn

You can spend 1000000000 hours in game and the nodes won't respawn

The problem here is a CORE gameplay mechanics being BROKEN

From my experience, the nodes only dissapear entirely if you quit or crash before their respawn gets triggered. So lowering respawn time and distances will help.

1 hour ago, Aylana314159 said:

From my experience, the nodes only dissapear entirely if you quit or crash before their respawn gets triggered. So lowering respawn time and distances will help.

they don't disappear entirely since you can regenerate them with the sliders + flying around

I think the core problem is single player hibernation freezing respawn counters so you are required to stay at a certain distance of the node, neither too close nor too far, for the counter to run normally, otherwise the respawn counter is frozen and the node will not respawn no matter how much time you spend in the game

if this is the problem this could be fairly easy to fix by "updating" nodes respawn counter whenever they go out of hibernation, the game already saves the value of the "last time entered stasis" (at least for dinos) so it should be fairly easy to update the counters

6 hours ago, dodogal said:

Hmmm... might be worth a test, I never tried because I though the game would run much slower...  But if you say it runs even better then I might give it a try... still they should fix this issue regardless. I am almost sure the problem is that respawn counters are frozen during hibernation and that it is fairly easy to fix, when nodes go out of hibernation, their counter should be updated. I'm not an expert programmer but I can't see any major difficulty there. The hardest part is to get the attention of the devs on this issue which has been bugging so many players to the point some use a second PC .

I can also confirm that performance/load with lan server is well within SP range, runs great on my quite old and weak CPU. GPU irrelevant ofc.

Bringing nodes out of hibernation would be the appropriate place to "age" them, agreed. I wonder if low ram is one of the reasons SP refuses to retain counters on modes. Allows low ram players to run game but causes issues...

6 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

I disagree here. WC intended for the game to be customizable with both settings and mods.

You're assuming cheating is defined by the game. The player defines cheating (collectively or individually). An RPer talking OOC considers himself cheating.

I had the same issue, I always build near metal clusters but if I can just step out my front door...

You can say, as many do, "just force yourself to go to another node" but A) that feels horrible and ruins immersion and B) it ignores human nature. Not claiming you ARE saying that, just saying that many do.

Archived