Community Crunch 180: Memory Optimizations and Contest Winners!

StudioWildcard

Yes, I’ve mentioned this is on purpose and not a bug. It prevents people in single player from basically restarting to get infinite resources or loot.

This answer is disgusting. One of the good things wildcard has done over the years is the freedom(variety of server settings and mods) of playing however you want in your non-official(single player OR private servers) game. As a single player getting any amount of resources is my thing to consider not yours. I can spawn an infinite amount of resources but that does not change the poor feeling of not finding resource nodes the next time i get in my map.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

While I fully enjoy the new manner in which the Community Crunch is being run, some of it seems a bit one sided. Particularly this weeks crunch which seems to favor either PC or Official with most statements. One in particular is rather one-sided.

"We always look for new mod maps to come to console. I think we have a pretty good track record of working with the mod community :)"

Console has 2 mod maps... how many does PC have? Not only that, but how many do they have that are supported and/or sponsored by WC? You may feel as though you are supporting mod maps for console, but thus far, as a console player, that doesn't seem to ring true. Not only do we not have more maps, but the maps you have provided seem to have been forgotten.

Our end of modded content inclusion is low. We were given a small portion of S+, which was worked directly into the game, and the rest was left to PC to enjoy. I understand that some factors could "break the game", but it still would have been nice to decide that for ourselves. It could have been an option for us to turn on the rest in server settings. That way officials can remain without if you so choose, but unofficial could at least then have the option as unofficial PC users do. 

Personally, it seems as though console players are often forgotten. We purchased the game, same as PC. And some of us even pay to run servers, same as those on PC. Yet as far as content we can choose from, or even have access too, we are the last to get anything- if we do so at all. 

Now I am not saying tomorrow there should be an update that includes everything, but at the very least you should be able to provide a list of things that are coming, even if a date isn't set for release so that we know we are be considered and that we are being given as much time and effort as those for PC 

-Is there a new map coming? We don't need to know what as long as we know something is on it's way, it's better than nothing. 

-Is there new mod content coming? It would be nice to know that we are getting something new eventually. Even if we don't know exactly what it is or when it will be here. 

Please just be a bit more considerate and open with us so we know we haven't been forgotten. 

-from the perspective of an xbox PVE unofficial cluster coder and admin. 

Edited by SapphireSam7
adjusted wording.
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

9 hours ago, Willistor87 said:

Nothing has been sold since then has it? They have at least been giving updates and trying to fix issues on PC/Xbox/PS4. The switch was release and completely abandoned, except to remove servers (which wouldn't be needed if they fixed the game).  

Every move has been to get ppl off their free official servers and to buy into Nitrado. Which Ark takes a bit of that pie. 

I like how Wildcard provides some general overview into the technologies, logics and the rationale used to address certain things and why it may / may not take said time or how complex a situation may  / or may not be. I believe that providing insight of the back end helps drive discussions and conversations (for those that are interested on those) to a constructive road.

Also, the attention given to game suggestions round ups is also nice some of those things are very interesting and its cool to see which suggestions are evolving into something.

it is a nice format.  

• Like 1

• Wildcard Community
6 hours ago, SapphireSam7 said:

While I fully enjoy the new manner in which the Community Crunch is being run, some of it seems a bit one sided. Particularly this weeks crunch which seems to favor either PC or Official with most statements. One in particular is rather one-sided.

"We always look for new mod maps to come to console. I think we have a pretty good track record of working with the mod community :)"

Console has 2 mod maps... how many does PC have? Not only that, but how many do they have that are supported and/or sponsored by WC? You may feel as though you are supporting mod maps for console, but thus far, as a console player, that doesn't seem to ring true. Not only do we not have more maps, but the maps you have provided seem to have been forgotten.

Our end of modded content inclusion is low. We were given a small portion of S+, which was worked directly into the game, and the rest was left to PC to enjoy. I understand that some factors could "break the game", but it still would have been nice to decide that for ourselves. It could have been an option for us to turn on the rest in server settings. That way officials can remain without if you so choose, but unofficial could at least then have the option as unofficial PC users do. 

Personally, it seems as though console players are often forgotten. We purchased the game, same as PC. And some of us even pay to run servers, same as those on PC. Yet as far as content we can choose from, or even have access too, we are the last to get anything- if we do so at all. 

Now I am not saying tomorrow there should be an update that includes everything, but at the very least you should be able to provide a list of things that are coming, even if a date isn't set for release so that we know we are be considered and that we are being given as much time and effort as those for PC 

-Is there a new map coming? We don't need to know what as long as we know something is on it's way, it's better than nothing. 

-Is there new mod content coming? It would be nice to know that we are getting something new eventually. Even if we don't know exactly what it is or when it will be here. 

Please just be a bit more considerate and open with us so we know we haven't been forgotten. 

-from the perspective of an xbox PVE unofficial cluster coder and admin. 

There's some good feedback here.  There are lots of challenges and hurdles with console development in regards to mods.  All of the current modders who had their mod chosen for console (including myself) can attest to that.  It's a huge undertaking.  It's why you don't see hundreds of mods for consoles.  When we bring mods to console, it's always a partnership that requires work on our end and the modders.

In regards to sharing what we have planned, I've talked about this before but we don't announce things too far out now.  It's a mistake we've made in the past.  Take Primal Survival, it was an idea we had at one point.  For many reasons, it was something we can't do.  To this day, people will demand we bring it back because we promised that content.  We try to avoid these type of things by announcing things too far out before they can be finalized.

Rest assured, we intend to bring more mod content to console and will announce details once they are more finalized.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, Cedric said:

There's some good feedback here.  There are lots of challenges and hurdles with console development in regards to mods.  All of the current modders who had their mod chosen for console (including myself) can attest to that.  It's a huge undertaking.  It's why you don't see hundreds of mods for consoles.  When we bring mods to console, it's always a partnership that requires work on our and the modders.

In regards to sharing what we have planned, I've talked about this before but we don't announce things too far out now.  It's a mistake we've made in the past.  Take Primal Survival, it was an idea we had at one point.  For many reasons, it was something we can't do.  To this day, people will demand we bring it back because we promised that content.  We try to avoid these type of things by announcing things too far out before they can be finalized.

Rest assured, we intend to bring more mod content to console and will announce details once they are more finalized.

This answer pleases my soul

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Soldier905 said:

Google any dino or item and you will see them for sale on various sites .

Hey, I feel ya. 

Personally, I think Facebook trading itself has done enough to ruin the game, and those transactions using in game resources such as ingots or tames are technically legit. It’s always kind of annoying to see new players pop onto a server as a level less than 10 and by the next day they are riding a mutant Giga and asking if anyone has an extra pod they can have. 

The problem is WC can’t do anything about it or the real money transactions. They can’t make a rule against networking with your ‘friends’ on FB, even if you never met the person before, and the eBay sellers aren’t really selling dinos or whatever it is they are advertising. There is a rule against selling in game items, but legally there is a loophole those people get around by saying they are selling their “services” and not the actual item, dino, etc. You can literally pay someone to play the game for you, and there is no way anyone could effectively police against that. 

I understand how frustrating it is to spend a lot of time and effort breeding dinos or obtaining rare items and resources to trade in the ‘natural’ in game economy just to find no one interested because they can get it better and easier on the internet. At the end of the day, you can only play the game for you and if someone else wants to buy their way ahead, that’s their loss because they won’t know what the pride of earning their own accomplishments is like. 

3 hours ago, Cedric said:

There's some good feedback here.  There are lots of challenges and hurdles with console development in regards to mods.  All of the current modders who had their mod chosen for console (including myself) can attest to that.  It's a huge undertaking.  It's why you don't see hundreds of mods for consoles.  When we bring mods to console, it's always a partnership that requires work on our end and the modders.

Ced, I don't know where you were when I used to troll the forums but I work at a new job that gives me access to them while I'm in between work so I've been on here a lot and you might legit be the best thing that's  ever happened to Ark, lol. Thank you for always giving constructive comments and COMMUNICATING with us! I know it has to seem like a thankless job but it's noticed and appreciated by some of us.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Cedric said:

Thank you Cedric, for your acknowledgement and reply. The communication is greatly appreciated. 

I realize there are limitations, time constraints, and reasons behind the things that are done and said. And if my comment came off sounding harsh, I didn't mean it to do so. 

I do enjoy the game and wouldn't be playing the game or participating in these comment chains if I didn't. 

I have met some cool people through the game and we have had a lot of fun playing it. We are simply anxiously waiting the next step in ark to keep the interest there and peak new excitement for those whose interests may be waning. 

For PC, that can often be a new mod or map to try- for console, it is a little harder at times.

So the statement alone that you are looking to bring more content, is nice to hear. And we will wait patiently to soon hear more. 

Thank you.?

• Like 1

For all unofficial server owners, please note that the patch notes still read that the command line option: -structurememopts should NOT be used if you are running structure-related mods (e.g. S+). It's not mentioned in this article, but it might be of importance for the unofficials! Just a friendly reminder to always read the patch notes^^

Because Wyverns and Griffins are meant to be strong, end-game tames, a change like this might require a rebalance to make sure they don't become too powerful.  There are no immediate plans to implement this change but we will keep the community request on the radar.

I'm sorry but WHAT?

Wyvs are supposed to be "kings of the sky" but since they got their stam nerfed they are not.  Before the nerf I would fight with a dozen wild wyvs on my imprinted lit wyv and we would fight in the sky for a while and it was great.  With the nerf your high stam imprinted wyv gets what 4 or 5 breaths before it has to land?  That is not King of the sky.  

• Thanks 1

No offense, but those networking optimizations sound incredibly simple and rather obvious. I'd bet the change required only a few lines of code, or more likely the deletion of a few. I hope that's just one part of a larger set of optimizations.

A much, much better optimization would be to implement object loading in bulk, as opposed to each one loading by itself. Like the way Minecraft loads the world in chunks. Loading in any particular structure/dino has some amount of network overhead - especially apparent when you zoom into a huge base and watch each individual wall/foundation/ceiling/etc. pop in almost sequentially. So why not group a bunch of them together in a single update to load stuff in faster?

Slightly unrelated, but you also really need to maintain the physics state of objects as they're loaded in, so the client doesn't start processing fall logic and make players/dinos look like they fell halfway through the ceiling they're standing on. This results in a desynchronized client/server state. Make it work like wild dinos on trees that get destroyed, or link the player/dino to the object it's on and wait for that to load before processing physics.

Guest EnergyDrink

so when is this "optimization" will be pushed to Live ?

Cause right now, neither island/center or aberation servers has had any performance changes.. still 20-40 second lags every 5 to 10minutes..

39 minutes ago, EnergyDrink said:

so when is this "optimization" will be pushed to Live ?

Cause right now, neither island/center or aberation servers has had any performance changes.. still 20-40 second lags every 5 to 10minutes..

We podded all dinos on our island because we’ve gotten tired of the lag. You’d think 450 dinos not being there would make a huge difference.  No change. Still crappy lag all the time. So bad.