Things that Seriously Need Changing

Subsquentual

Okay so I am a long time Ark fan. Having hundreds of hours spanned across both PC and Xbox, I was skeptical about a mobile version of the game, mainly because of the difficulty of those other platforms is already up there.

But I decided I'd give it a shot. It's free so whatever.

Oh. My. God.

Don't get me wrong, I am enjoying the game more than I thought I would, after deleting it 4 times due to repeated gang banging I received from raptors once I made even a HINT of progress. But there are some things that need to change. Badly.

1. I know not every creature has the same abilities that they do in the other versions of the game. Take for example the Ptera, and lack of a barrel roll, or Direwolf and being unable to smell dead bodies. So... how about we get rid of that god awful raptor pounce? Here's why. On PC, or Xbox, or PS4, the controls are a lot better. The game responds better. On mobile, you don't have enough time to react to a raptor before it pins you down, murders you, and you lose your stuff. I found out the hard way that tamed Equus are cowards and will leave you in battle. Lost the Equus. I was pissed.

2. Speaking of controls.... We need something better. Instead of simulating joystick controls, how about actually giving us a little joystick button? I hate running along or flying along and then my hand shifts .02 millimeters and then I am at a dead stop because apparently my finger moved backwards. Makes running away very stressful because who knows if you're just going to up and stop in place. And the same for the camera. I hate trying to attack something and then have to take my hand off the screen to re-center my finger because I have moved it as far as I can to the edge of the phone.

3. I know the God Console has customization for single player servers but... I shouldn't have to pay $15 just to change the length of day time. Or to be able to SEE at night. That's half the game, blind night. Lower the price or have it be able to be bought with Amber as a secondary option. This game isn't worth $15 in my opinion. 

4. Did you know that if you happen to be looking at a dino and you attempt to eat food from your hotbar, that you feed your dino the food instead of you eating it? Because that's a thing! It took me a while to realize where all of my cooked meat was going when I was getting about half health, and then suddenly half my stack I force fed my dino because I happen to be facing it. This feature also makes taming Equus difficult if you bring an herbivore with you to cover. I had a Stego following me on neutral and when the equus would buck, it would be facing the stego. I would tap the rockarrots, and instead of feeding the equus it feeds the stego. So then I would get bucked off, and the stego would kill the equus since it hurt me. TERRIBLE feature. It's not in the other versions. It doesn't need to be in this one.

5. Iguanadons. Oh Iguanadons. You know what's great? Having one. Infinite stam, decent damage for a new mount. Know what's not great? Trying to mount it only for it to turn ALL of it's inventory to seeds when you tap on it. Iguanadons are one of the few creatures where the easiest way to mount it is to press the special button up on the top right. However, when you're being ambushed by a gang of raptors, you don't think about that. You run to your creature and tap it to mount and NOPE. I just seeded my whole inventory :3 Are you proud? No. No I'm dead. That's what I am. Go be ashamed.

6. What's the point of having notes in the game that says you can create recipes when it's a blatant lie? You can't create recipes in mobile. At least not yet. Remove that line of text until you actually make it a feature. Seriously.

There is likely more that I haven't come across yet or noticed, but if there are this many problems in Single Player I can't IMAGINE playing with other people on a pvp server. Forget that.

There are some good features to this game though. The option to sleep through the night is at least a good alternative to being blind af. The ability to teleport creatures to you at the cost of their inventory is nice if you've tamed something far away from your base and you don't feel like risking it during the ride back. And the little warning in the corner telling you when a particularly dangerous dino is near you. But there's just not even pros to outweigh the cons in my opinion. I know it's a free game but it's extremely cringy right now to even call it ARK.

When comparing to PC or console I might understand your points. But have not any problems like you say.

- Ptera CAN do barrel roll! I believe it’s with a swipe up on the right side of screen (depends on settings).
- I can imagine the pounch attackt is killing you...When I was starting the game (last summer) they could not do that yet. Now I can easily survive such an attack.
- I agree that some in game info (als during the loading screen) is not adapted to mobile, and that would have been a small change.

But for a free to play game: IT’S GREAT!
At least on SP, I’m not on MP, to much trouble there...

12 hours ago, JB1980 said:

When comparing to PC or console I might understand your points. But have not any problems like you say.

- Ptera CAN do barrel roll! I believe it’s with a swipe up on the right side of screen (depends on settings).
- I can imagine the pounch attackt is killing you...When I was starting the game (last summer) they could not do that yet.
- I agree that some in game info (als during the loading screen) is not adapted to mobile, and that would have been a small change.

But for a free to play game: IT’S GREAT!
At least on SP, I’m not on MP, to much trouble there...

Swiping up for me on the left screen triggers to pick up animation for Pteras, along with Argies. Maybe the alternate attack, but I'd have to sacrifice my double finger tap for creature whistles and I'd rather not :/

ALSO Pteras cannot attack on the ground like Argies can. Really sucks when the ants or meganeuras start swarming and you have no stam -_-

1 hour ago, Subsquentual said:

Swiping up for me on the left screen triggers to pick up animation for Pteras, along with Argies. Maybe the alternate attack, but I'd have to sacrifice my double finger tap for creature whistles and I'd rather not :/

ALSO Pteras cannot attack on the ground like Argies can. Really sucks when the ants or meganeuras start swarming and you have no stam -_-

You need to go into controls and set the secondary attack to whatever you want.  For me the barrel role is tapping 2 fingertips at the same time on the right side of the screen.  But I think you have to set it in controls.

Archived