Need additional perspective from other players

Hello, have a bit of a puzzle that I wanted to ask the community on here about and figure out if my tribe is handling it the right way or not. This is PvE on PS4 official servers if that makes any difference to anybody.

There's a cave in the desert biome on Ragnarok that is very rich in crystal and has been messed up multiple times by one particular clan on this server and various newbie tribes in the past either by building on the nodes, kiting wild dinos in to kill ankys, or blocking access by spamming dinos (big dinos that take up space, Rexes, stegos, etc). There are two entrances to this cave and we currently have them both gated off. If somebody wants access to the cave and acts even halfway decent we tell them the pin code on the gate and they can go crazy, we've unlocked the transmitter in there as well for easy transport.

Unfortunately there's a tribe that has joined recently and even though they enjoy access just like everybody else, they are complaining that the cave shouldn't be gated at all and say that we're violating code of conduct because we are denying them access to resources. I know that particular line is in the code of conduct but I am unclear if blocking off this one spot of crystal would be in violation of that, especially when I see everyone and their mom encasing oil deposits with metal bases. Also another argument I would have with this is that when you're inside the cave it gives the little icon that looks like a house, which means you're protected from the elements somewhat, which I had always thought to mean that you could build a base in there and treat it as your home base. Meaning that, hypothetically, if we wanted to build a base in there and completely eliminate all the crystal deposits we would not be in the wrong for doing so, though of course we don't want to do that.

If it gets us banned then I suppose we'll have to lift the gates but I just wanted to be sure 100% sure that there's no other option for us because I know the flood of BS that will result from that. Has anyone else been in this situation or know how Wildcard would be most likely to respond? Any constructive feedback would be appreciated, thanks.

Have no idea what WC would/will do in this case, but I know on my unofficial servers, your gates and walls would be destroyed via me logging into admin for 1st offense. 2nd offence, all guild structures you have would go.  3rd, is permanent ban from the cluster.

I would also listen to your reasoning for doing so and the guild who drags, spams, etc into the cave would also hear from me.

Ooh thats a tricky one - I believe its just Artifact caves / progression caves that cannot be blocked off? 

I know on my old official people blocked off that cave when it released. I would say youve taken the proper precautions with pincode and unlocked transmitter. Explain if GM shows up the incidents then also explain its pincoded for access (get a tribe on server to vouch for you)

Worst case Ontario they will delete the gates and give you a warning. Keep it.

1 minute ago, devid20 said:

You cant block recource spawns in official pve. If you get a report for it, then you will be wiped. Just unlock the Gates and put a sign that they are unlocked

Maybe you’re right but I really think you can jus t block this off because in every cave there are resources so why can’t you block this one?

PvE Specific Griefing

> Game Blocking - you are not allowed to block other tribes from playing the game on PvE servers. This can include but is not limited to:

• Building at their base

• Blocking in other tribes dinos

• Blocking access in/out of a tribes base

• Obstructing pathways or waterways for the purpose of denying another tribe access

• Blocking access to important resources (ie. charge nodes, gas nodes, Extinction City Terminals, etc)

Depends whether the resource was classed as important. Some may say crystal is fairly important due to its use for higher tiered items. 

Also it says "you are not allowed to block other tribes from playing the game on PvE servers. This can include but is not limited to:" 

If your gates are not to stop folk getting into your base, you're intentionally blocking them from something which is against the code of conduct. 

This depends what GM you get on which day. In my experience when we had a guy block being able to fly or raft into the Wyvern Cove by green, since we could still swim in it wasn't considered blocked and the GM left it.

So place a door frame people can walk in and out of. It doesn't prevent people from cryoing large tames in there to cause an annoyance buf that way it will prevent the kiting of most dino's and since access isn't denied, there shouldn't be much WC will do unless you get a GM who just got dumped or something that day.

You can work around large tames if need be.

3 hours ago, d1nk said:

Ooh thats a tricky one - I believe its just Artifact caves / progression caves that cannot be blocked off? 

I know on my old official people blocked off that cave when it released. I would say youve taken the proper precautions with pincode and unlocked transmitter. Explain if GM shows up the incidents then also explain its pincoded for access (get a tribe on server to vouch for you)

Worst case Ontario they will delete the gates and give you a warning. Keep it.

I'd like to think that all I would get is a warning but I'm not usually that lucky. It'd be my luck that the guy who runs the report down would be a "ban first, ask questions later" kind of guy. Know that sounds really pessimistic but it's also true lol Thanks for the input

3 hours ago, CatchMe said:

If they have easy acces and they can open it up with pin i don’t know what is their problem. I think it is against the code of conduct but not sure because it isn’t an actual cave but a harvest spot like others. Can u give the cords of the cave?

Roughly 85 lat, 50 long

There's a small creek that runs under the rocks and leads several different directions, one of them will take you to the cave, sorry not too many landmarks around there

3 hours ago, devid20 said:

You cant block recource spawns in official pve. If you get a report for it, then you will be wiped. Just unlock the Gates and put a sign that they are unlocked

3 hours ago, CatchMe said:

Maybe you’re right but I really think you can jus t block this off because in every cave there are resources so why can’t you block this one?

I feel CatchMe presents a valid argument, everyone builds on spots that nibbles into resources a little bit and like I said earlier there are several tribes on both my server and other servers I've been on that have completely enclosed their oil deposit in a metal structure so that way if it despawns they don't lose the deposit. If we follow the same logic of being unable to block any resources, shouldn't these tribes be reported as well?

Another example: we have a base in the volcano cave near the highlands scar and have a tek gate at the one entrance to keep wild wyverns (and noobs) out. We use the spot for harvesting wyvern eggs but obsidian and crystal spawn inside, by the same logic would I need to be worried about that base being reportable if it ruffles somebody's feathers?

I meant to put this in another post but apparently you can only respond so many times a day, super fun:

2 hours ago, Bruvas78 said:

Depends whether the resource was classed as important. Some may say crystal is fairly important due to its use for higher tiered items. 

Also it says "you are not allowed to block other tribes from playing the game on PvE servers. This can include but is not limited to:" 

If your gates are not to stop folk getting into your base, you're intentionally blocking them from something which is against the code of conduct. 

See I too believe that the importance of the resource would determine how they would approach this but I also believe availability should be a factor. If it was a resource that was very rare and only showed up in a handful of places then absolutely that makes perfect sense. However, while I would say that while this is a very rich deposit of crystal it's by no means the only place you can get it from in the area. There are several small to medium spots around the cave that are untouched and if they fly north just a little bit there's a massive crystal cavern at the base of a waterfall that nobody seems to know about so it's not like this is the only spot for crystal in the desert biome or anything.

Your last line gives me a thought, though it is a somewhat cheap way out I freely admit. There's a spot at the back of the cave where there are no resources and I could probably fit a 3x3 (maybe 3x2) metal shack and a couple of beds. Would it then be considered our 'base' and then be freely gateable?

Either way thanks for the input man

12 minutes ago, LordHotPockets said:

I feel CatchMe presents a valid argument, everyone builds on spots that nibbles into resources a little bit and like I said earlier there are several tribes on both my server and other servers I've been on that have completely enclosed their oil deposit in a metal structure so that way if it despawns they don't lose the deposit. If we follow the same logic of being unable to block any resources, shouldn't these tribes be reported as well?

Another example: we have a base in the volcano cave near the highlands scar and have a tek gate at the one entrance to keep wild wyverns (and noobs) out. We use the spot for harvesting wyvern eggs but obsidian and crystal spawn inside, by the same logic would I need to be worried about that base being reportable if it ruffles somebody's feathers?

You can report them. 

If there is resource and you block it then you can be reported for it so its the same. And GM-s dont destroy buildings, they are wiping the whole tribe.

2 hours ago, LordHotPockets said:

I meant to put this in another post but apparently you can only respond so many times a day, super fun:

See I too believe that the importance of the resource would determine how they would approach this but I also believe availability should be a factor. If it was a resource that was very rare and only showed up in a handful of places then absolutely that makes perfect sense. However, while I would say that while this is a very rich deposit of crystal it's by no means the only place you can get it from in the area. There are several small to medium spots around the cave that are untouched and if they fly north just a little bit there's a massive crystal cavern at the base of a waterfall that nobody seems to know about so it's not like this is the only spot for crystal in the desert biome or anything.

Your last line gives me a thought, though it is a somewhat cheap way out I freely admit. There's a spot at the back of the cave where there are no resources and I could probably fit a 3x3 (maybe 3x2) metal shack and a couple of beds. Would it then be considered our 'base' and then be freely gateable?

Either way thanks for the input man

What about leaving one Tek double doorframe, unlocked at the small entrance? Its still open, they cant lure and its freely accessable (with an unlocked transmitter! Bobs dream)

Think it might circumvent the TOS requirements. 

Archived