Raising otters (fish eaters)

Crigor92

How do people raise otters, or other fish eaters like Barry's, I usually raise a lot of dinos at once, my problem is that everything else in raising prefer fish to meat so when I put fish in the feeder everything eats it first and then the otters have nothing to eat

How do people get around this, I've made a hatchery raising Area I'm very happy with so ideally didn't want to raise them somewhere else

I don't gather enough fish to raise everything on this as I have 18 meat eaters down at the minute

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated, thank you

1 hour ago, Lycan187u said:

I fill my otters\bary with the meat an salts let the other dino use troughs 

I do the same, fish eaters get cooked and fresh fish plus preserving salts as much as I can fill them.  Everyone else eats from meat/berry troughs.  If I have a base near a small body of water that spawns fish; I have also penned in the bary/otter in the water, and left them on aggressive wander in the pen. They seem to stay fed that way too.  But I have also had an otter or two disappear now and then, I'm guessing they glitch thru the dino gates surrounding the body of water.

Mostly because I hate having to keep filling 20 fridges, when it comes to otters I always like to keep a hyaenodon or two with a meatpack around stocked with fish to keep the otters topped off. Add salts and the fish meat lasts a really long time in one. A fridge only holds 48 slots whereas the hyaenodon has 300 and can move around where you need it, just find that to be easier personally.

Also if you're having trouble gathering fish I'd recommend an imprinted spino with a good melee if you can get your hands on one. I kill 2 basilos and their swarms on 2x weekends and pretty much instantly black bag. Just wish the damn thing wasn't so awkward to drive lol

Put a trough in range of the fish eaters but out of range of everyone else and keep it filled. You don't have to raise the animals in a separate area, just make sure nothing else can access the trough they eat out of. It might require moving the troughs around or having one "ugly" one off to the side somewhere, though. Or just feed everyone fish lol. That's a lot of fish breath...

Archived