Entire Tribe's Uploaded Dinos Vanished

We're on a private PVE server and we noticed tonight that all the creatures the tribe had uploaded are now gone... sort of. By 'sort of' I mean they don't show up in the creatures list, but the terminal still indicates that we have 20/20 creatures uploaded. No expiry had been set and a few of the uploads were ages old, so it wasn't an issue with uploads expiring. 

We recently had two things occur that may be related to this problem... 

1. We had a crash the other day that forced us to restart from an earlier Ragnarok.ark save file. 
  2. We just rented a second server, clustering it together with our existing server.

As you can see from the picture, 20/20 creatures uploaded but nothing showing in the list. 

Any ideas? 

Terminal.JPG

13 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

It was the server crash most likely. Ark Data upload is separate from the server so when you went to an old save file it only installed the server data not the upload data.

@Sphere might have a more technical explanation for you.

Thank you for the response. Maybe you or @Spheremight know whether its possible to install/restore the upload data at this point? 

We decided to restore a backup file from slightly earlier... same story. So its as you say, the upload data is clearly something separate.

Was the new server added after you had most tames uploaded? Where were the uploaded tames going if you werent clustered? 

As far as i know a clustered servers are now a seperate cluster - meaning you cant pull those dinos out. Go to SP and pull em out. Also, what do you mean a tribes tames? Any tames you uploaded are on your 'profile' and your tribemates on theirs. As it looks its working as intended unless im missing something?

The fix would be to allow upload / DL from singleplayer.

On non-official servers uploaded dino's are saved on the local machine in:

Ark/ShooterGame/Saved/LocalProfiles 

in the file:

PlayerLocalData.arkprofile

The Obilisk data shouldn't be effected by rolling back the server to a earlier save do to that fact.   This file saves all the obelisk data for the non-official server,  map data, explorer note data, uploaded characters and a bit more in it.  I swap this file for playing on different non-official servers so that I don't get the obelisk data mixed up.

Its possible that when you did the rollback on the server that the config file got changed on the server, this could show that there are items in it, but you can't download them to the server, i.e. like uploading items to a obelisk from a non-official server, then jumping on to a Official server and trying to download them - it would show the same thing x-items of x count / x critters of x count but not show the items or critters.

I'm betting if you fired up a non-dedicated hosted game on your own pc, then ran off to a obelisk and opened it up, you'd see the dino's that are uploaded.

4 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Thank you for the response. Maybe you or @Spheremight know whether its possible to install/restore the upload data at this point? 

We decided to restore a backup file from slightly earlier... same story. So its as you say, the upload data is clearly something separate.

Yes, the Obelisk data is separate to the server data. Cross-ark files are saved in real time, whereas the server is saved on a schedule.

4 hours ago, d1nk said:

Was the new server added after you had most tames uploaded? Where were the uploaded tames going if you werent clustered? 

As far as i know a clustered servers are now a seperate cluster - meaning you cant pull those dinos out. Go to SP and pull em out. Also, what do you mean a tribes tames? Any tames you uploaded are on your 'profile' and your tribemates on theirs. As it looks its working as intended unless im missing something?

The fix would be to allow upload / DL from singleplayer.

Yes, the server was added yesterday, where as most of the uploaded tames were uploaded over a varied period of time from a few days ago to weeks or months. They were set not to expire. 

By tribe's tames I mean - each one of us has a certain number of tames uploaded, and each one of us has had them all disappear. 

3 hours ago, caleb68 said:

On non-official servers uploaded dino's are saved on the local machine in:

Ark/ShooterGame/Saved/LocalProfiles 

in the file:

PlayerLocalData.arkprofile

The Obilisk data shouldn't be effected by rolling back the server to a earlier save do to that fact.   This file saves all the obelisk data for the non-official server,  map data, explorer note data, uploaded characters and a bit more in it.  I swap this file for playing on different non-official servers so that I don't get the obelisk data mixed up.

Its possible that when you did the rollback on the server that the config file got changed on the server, this could show that there are items in it, but you can't download them to the server, i.e. like uploading items to a obelisk from a non-official server, then jumping on to a Official server and trying to download them - it would show the same thing x-items of x count / x critters of x count but not show the items or critters.

I'm betting if you fired up a non-dedicated hosted game on your own pc, then ran off to a obelisk and opened it up, you'd see the dino's that are uploaded.

Thanks so much. At first I wasn't able to locate the file path, but then I realized that  using Steam means its installed under the Steam folder structure... \Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\ShooterGame\Saved\LocalProfiles

I found the file and made a backup copy.

We'll explore the possibility that the configuration file was changed on the server.

Thinking about it... the difference in file locations between the standard save data and Steam save data may be the heart of the problem. I'm now wondering if when the server cluster was configured, if they (the server provider) used the default PlayerLocalData.arkprofile save location, instead of the Steam directory location. 

EDIT: Just heard back from our server admin that the server provider says 'out of cluster' transfers aren't allowed, and they sugegst we'd have to try de-clustering the servers, try downloading our dinos, then re-cluster. Too bad people aren't warned about this ahead of time. 

Just an update on this... our server provider recommended that we try de-clustering the two servers, then looking for our dinos. We did that last night and were able to access and download as per normal. We've actually decided not to cluster the servers, as the advantages of doing so, were relatively small compared to being able to essentially store stuff in the obelisk without the 24 hr expiration timer.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/3/2019 at 10:35 AM, DeHammer said:

Just an update on this... our server provider recommended that we try de-clustering the two servers, then looking for our dinos. We did that last night and were able to access and download as per normal. We've actually decided not to cluster the servers, as the advantages of doing so, were relatively small compared to being able to essentially store stuff in the obelisk without the 24 hr expiration timer.

You can have the best of both worlds, you can have the servers clustered to allow transfers between servers and you can set the obelisk expiration timer so that it will expire in whatever time frame you want. You may want to skip Step 1, below, depending on how you want your cluster to behave.

1) When you cluster the servers give each server its own custom save directory (the admin may have to create the directories manually after adding these settings to the config files). This is better than having all of the servers save to the same directory because it makes it easier to identify which .arktribe and .arkprofile files are part of each specific map, and it makes it easier to look at saves for each individual map.

As a side benefit, it allows your players to have more than one character in the cluster, up to 1 per map, so now your cluster behaves more like the Official clusters, and players can move their characters around from map to map.

For example, in the config files you would add:

?AltSaveDirectoryName=Island

?AltSaveDirectoryName=Center

?AltSaveDirectoryName=Ragnarok

Then under the path for saves make sure that each of these directories exists and have the needed permissions. For example:

.../arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Saved/Island

.../arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Saved/Center

.../arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Saved/Ragnarok

2) Make sure that there is a directory for the cluster.

In the config for each server there has to be an argument     -clusterid=     This ID can be alphabetic, numerical, or alphanumeric. You could name your cluster "BobDobbs", "54321" or "BR549", anything you want. As long as that clusterid is exactly the same for every server in your cluster. This is the directory where characters and items are uploaded to the Obelisks, if this cluster directory does not get created (or does not have the right permissions) then the servers in your cluster can't share characters or materials.

.../arkdedicated/ShooterGame/Saved/clusters/<clustername>

3) Set the expiration time on the Obelisks to whatever you want in the GamUserSettings.ini file.

TributeItemExpirationSeconds=
TributeDinoExpirationSeconds=
TributeCharacterExpirationSeconds=

On my cluster I have all three of those set to 31557600, which is one year (specifically, 365.25 days).

Archived