All the lags and server shutdowns

Alexis00

Hello all,

please allow me to introduce myself as I am new to the forums.. 

i have been very frustrated with the ways servers are being handled or being run, since I started official servers, myself and old players are facing regular lags in the server, longest lag I’ve faced so far was almost 3 minutes.. is that an issue that WildCard maybe know about.. would they fix it? Or is it a normal thing to happen.

second of all.. servers going offline is a huge problem.. where our server literally has to go down twice or 3 times a week for 3 to 4 hours .. mostly in the middle of the night.. this is a problem because sometimes some of us would be either breeding, taming, or fighting a particular Dino or boss.. what could be the issue here.. and has it been addressed before maybe? 

Thanks all ?

2 minutes ago, Kristofer said:

Wild Card have given us large walls to use but so many people keep building with doors. The doors create a lot more lag when rendering yet large walls can keep a giga out. So blame the builders on your own server for the lag.

Have proof? Ive known the exact opposite from my 3 years here but im more than willing to change my mind with evidence :) 

Mainly person experience. But WC have optimised walls to load in batches a couple of times. And have merged with guy who left server and the missus demoed his doors an replace with walls and could feel the difference. Hard proof is kinda hard to provide but feel it most when flying a wyvern. I play pve, so can kinda understand beh doors on pvp because they have higher health but still only a couple of c4 to blow them.

7 minutes ago, Kristofer said:

Mainly person experience. But WC have optimised walls to load in batches a couple of times. And have merged with guy who left server and the missus demoed his doors an replace with walls and could feel the difference. Hard proof is kinda hard to provide but feel it most when flying a wyvern. I play pve, so can kinda understand beh doors on pvp because they have higher health but still only a couple of c4 to blow them.

Thats the problem. We all guess based on experiences we have experienced. I know there was a thread (well, many) about this with some good information a few years ago but until WC chimes in were all guessing.

Last ditch effort.. @Cedric @Chris as programmers for ARK - Can you provide insight into this? It wouldnt be much out of your knowledge base but it would sure help us all out a LOT

The bottom line is revenue and $$$'s  needed to upgrade the Server infrastructure. MOST games of this size and scale have SOME sort of fee or ongoing revenue stream. ARK has ZERO. Until the player base is ready to pay a nominal fee -- which I would but i would pay no more than 10 a month -- then we must work around the existing issues and deal with it. 

Keep in mind as well:

Structure & Dino Decay is currently shut off

They did this so that they had time to deal with the problems that patch 112 introduced, and they are still currently working on it, my appointment is to take place today, and I was one of the early peoples in there with their tickets, so I'm sure there are still many more yet to process.  The Decay shut off was set for 1 month, with a weeks warning to when it would be turned back on so people had time to prepare for it.

Thing is during this time, many servers have had small & large abandoned structures built, thus adding to the lag and server side stalls.  Until Decay is back on and has run for at least 15 days, the lag, server stalls, and crashes are going to continue to grow.  The only thing that we can do at this point is wait, and see how the servers settle after decay has been turned back on and given ample time to decay those abandoned structures.

The only way to improve server performance with current hardware, since there is not possibly of better hardware, is to...

Decrease player slots

Decrease structure and tame limits

Add settings to limit overall number of active players or tribe on a server. (This is overall, not the slots for players at same time)

We also have heavy lag issues on ragna 42. We lost a boss fight because of it...The manticore started teleporting all over the place and has even gone 2 times under the map. The time run out for us, this has never happened and we have done the boss countless times on alpha.

The server has a constant ping of 120+ and spikes very often to 180-255. It's nearly impossible to play until night 11pm CET, 2pm PST.

I wrote a lag report but I don't think that it will change anything sadly. :/

on all servers i play (42 ragnarok, 79 island, 193 SE, 224 aberration,) are since weeks high ping, lags and  server crash! It is impossible to play, because you and your dinos die, because of the lags and crashes! WHY have the ARK servers this problem? is it because atlas need to much peformance? atm to play ARK is not funny and i hope it will be fixed!! 

I'm sorry. I don't mean to belabour a point that others seem to know about. WHY exactly is there no ability to upgrade our servers infrastructure? why is that a no go? so you are saying if WildCard had all the money in the world that because its nitrado  or whatever someone else mentioned they can't be upgraded to better servers with more capacity and more throughput? that sounds strange to me. can someone please explain or link information regarding this?

13 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

The servers are from Nitrado. So there is no upgrade to the infrastructure.

11 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

The only way to improve server performance with current hardware, since there is not possibly of better hardware, is to...

Decrease player slots

Decrease structure and tame limits

Add settings to limit overall number of active players or tribe on a server. (This is overall, not the slots for players at same time)

Nitrado could surely upgrade their servers though? It would cost WC $ of course.. but as its been said.. where is the money going to come from? Anyone who isnt daft knows there has to be incomming profit to do such a thing (inb4 WC maek atlas and make monies!!1!1 or 'money from extinction dlc' arguement) this has been discussed before.. but how many are willing to 'donate' to a fixed goal if they could guarantee increasd server performance? I dont even play official and I probably would. 

Im sure decreasing the total number of dinos (wild and tamed) would impact the PvE aspect (taming) a lot more than it would help. Does anyone remember after The Center redwoods patch? The drastic shortage of total dinos?

The rest are good ideas and should be at least looked into

As you have pointed, there are 2 main reasons why servers have those lags.

- people joining and consequent loading of bases.

- server saves every 15 min.

There is a third reason I would say when two o more crowded servers exists on the same machine and the lag on one affects the performance of others, but it is something that someone should be monitoring and changing the servers from physical machines when this becomes common in a given server.

Former reasons I would say can be, from a developer point of view, improved, in a way that when a player joins the load is done with less priority than other tasks on the server, so it does not impact on the overall performance. I guess it may be hard, and probably has something to do with those old bugs (dinos falling from structures, etc) but sure there is a solution that do not compromise the server performance that much.

Same for the server saves. I dont know how the internals of the server saves are, if the process could be done in more time while impacting less on the performance, or is that while the save is being done the world is quiesced and nothing can be done. If that is the case, maybe it can be done in little steps, impacting the player only during the time their tribe and char is being saved, and not for the entire world process.

Still, I believe there is room to improve from the software without speding in new machines.

What really bothers me.. is if you think about the money wildcard has probably generated since it’s launch as an open beta until today.. you see we are not talking a game that’s been released for less than a year.. the game has been out for 4 years now.. I mean think of elder scrolls online.. and look how it is now.. the way servers lag and/or get shutdown is just very sad with a game that is this big :( .. I’m not hating at all.. I’m just sad that my favorite game still has issues that were never solved 

Archived