lag Lag/ Saving indicators

chickpoint

Suggestion

Playing online lately I get pretty frustrated by the long lags we have going on right now, I think the experience of those lags can be improved without solving the lag itself. They should be pretty small but easy to implement.

Lag indicator

Various times I found myself dropping off a cliff or a high building because there was a 30 second lag, without noticing in time. Recently lag only has gotten worse and worse, seeing people spamming the all familiar "." in chat. As it might be hard to fix lag issues immideatly it should be a very small effort to make a lag indicator, so at least you will know you are lagging.

Saving indicator

As a server save will also give some lag, it will be nice to have a saving indicator. Yes it could be done by a lag indicator as well, but I think a saving indicator will have some added value when a server crashes or when server upgrades are coming. You will then know when your last server save was and know where you end up when you log back into the server.

Hope these will make it through!!

Edit: classic example of indicators in attachments

rl_connection_icons.jpg

6 replies to this server topic

On 4/28/2019 at 9:31 AM, chickpoint said:

Various times I found myself dropping off a cliff or a high building because there was a 30 second lag, without noticing in time.

One time I went to slam the ground on a snow owl (landing at my base) and didnt slam... next thing I know, the owl suddenly was over the water instead, and I was dismounted. It was at least 15 foundations away from my intended landing.

I blame the lag save... and the lack of a warning.

9 hours ago, chickpoint said:

Yup, I know the server saves every 16 minutes. But I am not always close to a drop or transmitter. So an icon that pops up mayby a few seconds prior to the save can help, without disturbing the game mechanics.

Or just for the saving icon that already exists to pop up 3 seconds prior, instead of adding new icons, would that also work?

On 4/28/2019 at 5:35 PM, Violet said:

Would be nice, or just a simple timer counting down from save to save would do too. Totally would love to see something like that. Would know if server is crashing as well, or just save lag. Takes about 1 minute of lag before it saves. If I go to the transmitter and there are 3 mins left until I can transfer I know I have to wait 2 minutes + 1 minute lag lol.

The servers save ever 16 minutes, when you open a supply drop, transmitter or obelisk and the items have a timer, that is time to next server save

Would be nice, or just a simple timer counting down from save to save would do too. Totally would love to see something like that. Would know if server is crashing as well, or just save lag. Takes about 1 minute of lag before it saves. If I go to the transmitter and there are 3 mins left until I can transfer I know I have to wait 2 minutes + 1 minute lag lol.

Archived