KIBBLE REWORK.... REWORK

Jdws07

Suggestion

The kibble rework was a great concept idea, however it needs to have a tier system with it as well! The current kibble rework requires you to tame most dinos with out kibble to get there eggs to make kibble to retame better ones... its like wiping before you poop...it just dont make sence! I shouldnt have to tame a raptor to tame a raptor or tame a anky to tame an anky!

12 replies to this server topic

4 minutes ago, Lowly said:

And oh my, where was all this feedback when they had the open feedback system when the kibble system was in public testing

Now you're just getting silly, that's not a valid argument, for two reasons.

1) During the testing phase people did make the same criticism of the new system that he OP has made. Not a lot of them, but it did happen, so there's that.

2) And even if that wasn't true it's still a null argument. The vast majority of players didn't see the new system during public testing, because the vast majority of players in every game don't participate on the test server, and that means that in every game most of the feedback for changes happens after they are released into the production version of the game. Any question of whether or not this was brought up during the test phase is a moot point.

All im saying is they need to make the kibble rework a TIERED SYSTEM. Dodo eggs and alike should tame stuff like pteras, ankys, dodic ect..

Things that dont make sence:

Most tames lay the eggs needed to tame them

Parasaur egg is extra small

There is no dino on ABERRATION lays eggs to make Exceptional kibble!

And for those who ask wheres the feed back back in testing.... im on console, i had to rely on pc players to look at all aspects of this rework and make things like this known to wild card! Had they created test servers on both consoles im sure things would have been different

21 minutes ago, Jdws07 said:

The kibble rework was a great concept idea, however it needs to have a tier system with it as well! The current kibble rework requires you to tame most dinos with out kibble to get there eggs to make kibble to retame better ones... its like wiping before you poop...it just dont make sence! I shouldnt have to tame a raptor to tame a raptor or tame a anky to tame an anky!

Ok the concept here is that you don't need to tame anything with kibble

It's an option

Also taming level 5-30's with there second preferred option, to get a few egg layers, to then work towards the level 125+  is a good progression system

5 minutes ago, Lowly said:

Ok the concept here is that you don't need to tame anything with kibble

It's an option

That's true, but it has nothing to do with the new kibble system, taming with kibble has always been optional. If you want to tame high level animals its' a bad option, just yes it's an option just like it always has been. There's nothing in the kibble rework that makes kibble taming any more or less optional than it always has been.

Also taming level 5-30's with there second preferred option, to get a few egg layers, to then work towards the level 125+  is a good progression system

That's true, but it misses and important point about the use of time. One of the major reasons that players wanted a streamlined kibble tree was that it took a lot more time than it should have to tame and maintain a stable of animals at all levels of the kibble tree just so they could always have the kibble they wanted.

This new system meets those goals at the Basic Kibble and Simple Kibble level, because animals like dodo's (Basic) raptors and pachy's (Simple) are easy to find and they don't take up a lot of room, which means that you can tame a few extra of each of those species just to be egg layers, but as you move up through the kibble tree the tame times and the space required to hold them don't scale well. Even something basic like a Lvl 20 carbonemys takes 45 minute to tame, and having enough of them to create a good supply of eggs starts to take up a lot of room.

Those to factors added together mean that we haven't made as much progress on the kibble problem as most players were hoping for. Taming a bunch of low level animals just so you can have eggs to tame the high level animals you want means that there is almost as much of an issue maintaining kibble farms as there was before the change. It's definitely a big improvement that you don't have to maintain an zoo of species for kibble, but the total number of animals needed for a good kibble farm is still more that people were hoping for.

Each level of kibble should have one, or more "gateway" animals to the next level, so that you don't have to tame multiple low level animals at each tier just to be able to tame the high level animals you actually want.

For example, it should be possible to tame a pachy with both Basic and Simple kibble, which lets you use your Basic kibble to open up the "gateway" to the Simple kibble tier. That way, you can immediately start taming high level pachy's that will start off by being your egg layers for the Simple kibble tier but which will also be useful like a pachy should. Behing able to avoid having a kibble farm full of low level animals was one of the things that players wanted from the kibble rework, and that has not happened.

No system is going to be perfect, but it's a whole lot better than it used to be.

From a progression standpoint, it both does and doesn't make sense. On the one hand, the core of the kibble system has always been that you have to tame animals to tame animals, so that part hasn't changed. But, it has been drastically simplified with the advantage that most players are going to need the animals in the top kibble tiers anyway, which means no more sprawling egg farms with hundreds of otherwise useless tames taking up space and capping servers. From an efficiency standpoint it's fantastic.

I think the issue comes up more when you look at the kibble system from an endgame perspective, not from a new player making their way through the game for the first time. I don't know about anyone else but when I was a noob, I wasn't looking to perfect tame max level dinos, not that I could because kibble didn't exist yet. I just wanted any argent, spino, rex etc to defend myself, then I upgraded to stronger animals later.

As someone who's played through the levels way too many times to count, yes it is slightly annoying to have to go mutton tame a few low level rexes and yutys before I can start looking for max levels. But if I were a new player with no experience, this is how I would be playing anyway so it's actually a very natural progression mechanic. I think a lot of us who have been playing the game for years overlook that. Sure, most of us could KO and tame a max level rex as soon as we can make a crossbow. But that's not really the point because Ark has a huge spectrum of players from brand new to day 1 veterans, so I do very much like that kibble is so much more available to anyone as you no longer need the excessive infrastructure the old kibble system required.

Also, you don't need to tame animals in the lower tiers if you don't want to, so you can shortcut the entire system if you want. Tame or buy a few yutys and bam, you can kibble tame anything that needs it, as lower tier animals do accept the higher tier kibbles, and it works with imprinting too. Personally I keep dodos, rexes and yutys for kibble. Dodos lay eggs fast and the kibble is cheap for general use. You need a million rexes for bosses anyway so why not make use of their cheaper kibble to tame the majority of other animals. And then yutys for the last few, and they're also a boss animal anyway. It's beautiful. My base is so nice and clean, especially paired with cryopods. I'd say the benefits vastly outweigh the minor inconveniences. I'll take keeping 5-10 dedicated egg layers over 100+ any day.

And very technically speaking you are not required to tame a single animal for kibble, it's just that no other method is as reliable or easy. Stealing eggs from wild animals or buying/trading for them from other players is even more of a chore than simply taming a few necessary animals for yourself.

15 minutes ago, Pipinghot said:

That's true, but it has nothing to do with the new kibble system, taming with kibble has always been optional. If you want to tame high level animals its' a bad option, just yes it's an option just like it always has been. There's nothing in the kibble rework that makes kibble taming any more or less optional than it always has been.

That's true, but it misses and important point about the use of time. One of the major reasons that players wanted a streamlined kibble tree was that it took a lot more time than it should have to tame and maintain a stable of animals at all levels of the kibble tree just so they could always have the kibble they wanted.

This new system meets those goals at the Basic Kibble and Simple Kibble level, because animals like dodo's (Basic) raptors and pachy's (Simple) are easy to find and they don't take up a lot of room, which means that you can tame a few extra of each of those species just to be egg layers, but as you move up through the kibble tree the tame times and the space required to hold them don't scale well. Even something basic like a Lvl 20 carbonemys takes 45 minute to tame, and having enough of them to create a good supply of eggs starts to take up a lot of room.

Those to factors added together mean that we haven't made as much progress on the kibble problem as most players were hoping for. Taming a bunch of low level animals just so you can have eggs to tame the high level animals you want means that there is almost as much of an issue maintaining kibble farms as there was before the change. It's definitely a big improvement that you don't have to maintain an zoo of species for kibble, but the total number of animals needed for a good kibble farm is still more that people were hoping for.

Each level of kibble should have one, or more "gateway" animals to the next level, so that you don't have to tame multiple low level animals at each tier just to be able to tame the high level animals you actually want.

For example, it should be possible to tame a pachy with both Basic and Simple kibble, which lets you use your Basic kibble to open up the "gateway" to the Simple kibble tier. That way, you can immediately start taming high level pachy's that will start off by being your egg layers for the Simple kibble tier but which will also be useful like a pachy should. Behing able to avoid having a kibble farm full of low level animals was one of the things that players wanted from the kibble rework, and that has not happened.

Tackle the first bit, there are now 7 types of kibble instead of what 90?

Yuty, wyvern, drake, golden hesperoonis eggs now tame everything that takes a kibble

You no longer need to tame 2 dodos to tame 2 pteranadons to tame 2 turtles to tame 2 brontos to tame 2 whatever they tame

Or 2 scorpions to tame 2 Rex's to 2 quetz to 2 gigas, Rex's now tame gigas and quetz and Rex and brontos and more besides

No longer does a kibble garage for imprinting need to be 35 Dino's, it can just be 2 rexs

One of the major reasons players wanted a kibble rework was 15 different imprint kibbles and wow that list of tame this to tame that for old kibble is so long and why does a deep sea mosasaur prefer eggs from a quetzal that never lands? That never made sense

Yes gateway kibbles makes sense, buthso does taming with advanced crops or raw or cooked lamb chops, so maybe a low level turtle takes 45 minutes to tame but you can often find them in packs of 1 male and 2 females so that's 3 for 45 minutes not 45 minutes each

Tackle the first bit, there are now 7 types of kibble instead of what 90?

That's true, but it still takes a lot of kibble to do taming, which means a lot of animals laying eggs. A Lvl 150 Rex (for example) takes 33 kibble to tame, and that means you still need a bunch of Rex's or Theri's in your kibble farm to make sure you have enough kibble to tame animals with Exceptional kibble. This is definitely an improvement on the old system, but still not what players were hoping for.

As it stands now, you have to tame a bunch of rex's just so you can tame a bunch of rex's, which is the point the OP was making. The kibble tree has been improved, but it has not been improved enough, and certainly not improved as much as players were wanting to see. It's better than it used to be, but it still needs more improvement.

One of the major reasons players wanted a kibble rework was 15 different imprint kibbles and wow that list of tame this to tame that for old kibble is so long and why does a deep sea mosasaur prefer eggs from a quetzal that never lands? That never made sense

Agreed. That is one of the reasons, but not the only reason, hence the OP's suggestion. The other major reason is that people didn't want to tame a bunch of animals just for the purpose of providing eggs to tame the animals they really want. No one wants to tame a Lvl 150 Rex with raw mutton, that's a waste of 11 levels which represents a wasted opportunity, and that means that people want to be able to move up through the tiers of the new kibble tree without having to tame low levels just to tame high levels.

Yes gateway kibbles makes sense, buthso does taming with advanced crops or raw or cooked lamb chops, so maybe a low level turtle takes 45 minutes to tame but you can often find them in packs of 1 male and 2 females so that's 3 for 45 minutes not 45 minutes each

That still means you're taming low levels you don't want just so that you can tame high levels you do want, which is the flaw in the kibble system that still needs to have fixed.

12 minutes ago, Lowly said:

Follow up with a. Level 5 Rex takes 20 minutes on cooked prime, 

Taming 6 low level Rex's will give you all the kibble you need

Or maybe taming 6 low level brontos is easier to find and easier to do as long torpor times

What you have just written is not a solution, it's a good description of the exact problem that still exists.

1 minute ago, Pipinghot said:

That's true, but it still takes a lot of kibble to do taming, which means a lot of animals laying eggs. A Lvl 150 Rex (for example) takes 33 kibble to tame, and that means you still need a bunch of Rex's or Theri's in your kibble farm to make sure you have enough kibble to tame animals with Exceptional kibble. This is definitely an improvement on the old system, but still not what players were hoping for.

As it stands now, you have to tame a bunch of rex's just so you can tame a bunch of rex's, which is the point the OP was making. The kibble tree has been improved, but it has not been improved enough, and certainly not improved as much as players were wanting to see. It's better than it used to be, but it still needs more improvement.

Agreed. That is one of the reasons, but not the only reason, hence the OP's suggestion. The other major reason is that people didn't want to tame a bunch of animals just for the purpose of providing eggs to tame the animals they really want. No one wants to tame a Lvl 150 Rex with raw mutton, that's a waste of 11 levels which represents a wasted opportunity, and that means that people want to be able to move up through the tiers of the new kibble tree without having to tame low levels just to tame high levels.

That still means you're taming low levels you don't want just so that you can tame high levels you do want, which is the flaw in the kibble system that still needs to have fixed.

Who said I want high levels for my kibble Dino's? Im quite happy with low level Dino's for my kibble Dino's as are more people

2 minutes ago, Lowly said:

Who said I want high levels for my kibble Dino's? Im quite happy with low level Dino's for my kibble Dino's as are more people

I never said that "you" do, don't put words in my mouth, but I know quite a few other people who do. And more importantly I do, which is why I'm arguing in favor of what I care about, that's how suggestions and discussions work. If your response to the OP's suggestion is that you don't care, that's legit, you're entitled to your opinion and you're not under any obligation to care or to upvote the suggestion.

Archived