Best All-Round Mount?

DiloDod

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, d1nk said:

And wyverns are on all maps but Rag and SE? 

Do you mean 'as well as'? Pretty sure they are on both Rag and SE. Though I haven't played SE. And available in more than one part of the Rag map. On the other hand, I played Extinction and never saw a mana.

Also, 'quick tame' compared to raising is relative to server settings. Stealing an egg is also easier than capturing and taming when you know what you're doing.

Just remember, I'm not the one who is claiming a particular Dino is now 'dead' and replaced. Backing up such a claim is an uphill battle if that's the claim you are backing. Wyverns are still very relevant and still extremely versatile mounts. 

Bear or a Baryonyx. 

Both are not really strong, compared to the endgame creatures, like a rex, but in this case it is not the strength, that is important.

The bear is fast, has good stats and can harvest everything except trees and stones. Taming is very difficult, when you try it with a crossbow. Tranq darts or better are the only way to tame a bear. I would also recommend a trap for this. 

Barys are luckily easier to tame, except that you need fish meat. But you can bola it, carry it with an Argy and breeding is also easier. 

But now the uses:

• Bary: You can use it for caves. It is strong, it is fast, it fits in almost all of them and it can regenerate health by eating piranhas, which are part of a lot of caves. If you breed them, you even use it for ocean exploring.
  • Bear: it is strong, it is fast, it can gather berries, fibre, meat, hide, and so on. Everything, except trees and stones. You can also use it for gathering honey, if you are lucky enough finding a hive close to the ground. A bear is great for exploring the map, while it is also good in a fight and escaping, if something goes wrong.

9 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Just remember, I'm not the one who is claiming a particular Dino is now 'dead' and replaced. Backing up such a claim is an uphill battle if that's the claim you are backing. Wyverns are still very relevant and still extremely versatile mounts. 

It is always important what you see in the creature (unfortunately not everyone agrees with that opinion). In my case I like the wyvern more (could also be the lack of access to Extinction), because it can carry creatures (unlike the Mana) and is faster than a Quetzal (which can carry only a little bit more creatures). And I think it also looks better than a Mana.

21 minutes ago, BlueberryJackal said:

It is always important what you see in the creature (unfortunately not everyone agrees with that opinion). In my case I like the wyvern more (could also be the lack of access to Extinction), because it can carry creatures (unlike the Mana) and is faster than a Quetzal (which can carry only a little bit more creatures). And I think it also looks better than a Mana.

To be clear, I'm not the one comparing the wyvern to the mana, nor am I putting down the mana. I simply disagree that the wyvern is a luxury mount. When we started on Ragnarok, day one we were taming pteras and stealing wyvrn eggs. Any poor survivor that can scrap together the resources for bolas and narc arrows can get a ptera super easy, then steal a wyvern's egg. 

I also said that wyverns are more widely available... twice as many maps (2) is still 'more widely available'. 

As to your point re: carrying, I couldn't agree more. I was the first int he thread to suggest the Theriz as best all around mount, and as d1nk pointed out, one of the downsides is that they aren't the easiest tame. But guess what makes them an easy tame... a wyvern. 

Taking this as a "if you could only have 1 dino and it wasn't hard to get" question, it would be argy, bear, beelz, equus. All are good-to-great travelers, all are highly useful multirole mounts, each is great at something. Argy for carry / travel / smithy / ground fights, bear for carry / travel / ground fights, beelz for travel / water resources / CP/chitin, equus for carry / travel / mortar. 

3 minutes ago, BlueberryJackal said:

What about a Quetzal?

When I started playing someone lent me an argie to use and I found it tremendously useful. But the Quetzal is even more useful... just a lot more difficult for most people to capture. Though there are times on Ragnarok when you get opportunities to capture & tame a Quetzal quite easily, if you're in the right place at the right time.

13 hours ago, DeHammer said:

Do you mean 'as well as'? Pretty sure they are on both Rag and SE. Though I haven't played SE. And available in more than one part of the Rag map. On the other hand, I played Extinction and never saw a mana.

Also, 'quick tame' compared to raising is relative to server settings. Stealing an egg is also easier than capturing and taming when you know what you're doing.

No I was retorting to you saying Manas are only on one map, wyverns are on two, yes.

You made my point, sure on a boosted server its easy to grab a wyvern egg and raise it (I also play boosted) but not everyone has 4 days to raise one versus the 1h it takes to tame a mana. Remember; all balance discussion should be discussed as official stats because there's too many variables with unofficial.

One could argue taming is easier if we assume everyone knows what theyre doing. I also never claimed anything is dead - but a mana is for sure easier to get than a Wyvern. On official tame vs raise is no comparison. Wyvern requires you to knock out females for days for milk. I can spawn in Extinction, a beach bob and make my way to Snow and trap a mana easier than raising a wyvern egg.

Your point that manas are on one map and wyverns are on two are irrelevant with server transfer. Remember we cannot compare boosted to official. Manas are easier to get

17 minutes ago, d1nk said:

No I was retorting to you saying Manas are only on one map, wyverns are on two, yes.

Your point that manas are on one map and wyverns are on two are irrelevant with server transfer. Remember we cannot compare boosted to official. Manas are easier to get

I was retorting, and asking, not telling... thus the question mark. I am only directly familiar with two maps at this point, though my impression is that manas were new with the Extinction map, and as far as I know, not retroactively placed in any other maps.  

Not everyone plays official or has access to clustered servers for private... so not everyone can simply jump to another map. So no, not irrelevant.

If you're jumping on the 'wyverns are dead - manas killed them' band wagon, then provide something to back up that claim. 

2 hours ago, DeHammer said:

I was retorting, and asking, not telling... thus the question mark. I am only directly familiar with two maps at this point, though my impression is that manas were new with the Extinction map, and as far as I know, not retroactively placed in any other maps.  

Not everyone plays official or has access to clustered servers for private... so not everyone can simply jump to another map. So no, not irrelevant.

If you're jumping on the 'wyverns are dead - manas killed them' band wagon, then provide something to back up that claim. 

Where have I ever stated that? I dont even like Manas nor Wyverns...im oldschool prefer a good Argy.

Get some more time under your belt, experience what ARK has to offer outside Rag then talk about balance.

16 hours ago, d1nk said:

Where have I ever stated that? I dont even like Manas nor Wyverns...im oldschool prefer a good Argy.

Get some more time under your belt, experience what ARK has to offer outside Rag then talk about balance.

Never said you did. In fact, I asked if that's what you were defending. As clarification, you 'retorted' me, while I was retorting someone else who made the statement that wyvern 'died' when manas showed up. 

On the other hand, I never said anything about 'balance'. I was simply disagreeing with someone else's statement that wyverns are luxury mounts and no longer relevant. I'll ask again... is that what you're defending?

I see we're in agreement about argies. They are super useful, especially early-mid game. 

I would have to agree with the other folks and choose the Iguanadon. Given a 150 only takes 2 hours with just berries and you can find them everywhere "maybe not SE" they make a fantastic mount for grinding random resources. Best part in my opinion is that given how easy it is to tame makes it a Dino that is disposable.

• 1 month later...

If i had to choose one it would be the theri. It’s quite hard to tame for your normal beach bob but it’s a great fighter, has decent movement speed and is a master gatherer. If i could chose three I would use theri anky and gasbags. Theri is still a master gatherer but I wouldn’t chose Doedicurus just because anky is easier to tame and grants more metal. And gasbags cause they have a huge weight pool, they can soak damage like a boss, and their way faster than argys. Ofcourse this is probably biased cause i love gasbags to death but I just prefere using a gasbags for mining missions rather than argys

• 6 months later...

Archived