Best All-Round Mount?

DiloDod

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The wyvern is a fantastic mount for so many things. They even gather wood and thatch quite well when you use the 'C' button near some trees. Carrying other tames around for resource collection, battle mount, fast heavy transport, fast response rescue, etc. Of course, not 'tamable' in the traditional sense or breedable. 

If we're just talking breedable.... Therizi. Such a versatile mount. 

Its realy hard to say, this one is the best. Every one of them have purpose, makes your jurney thro ark easier. But if someone told me i need to pick one, and only one dino i will go with theri, if someone told me i can pick 4 i will go with, anky, doedi, rex, argy.

Giga, wyverns, thyla are all luxury dinos, if u have them its great, if not, u can live without them.

1 hour ago, DiloDod said:

Guys, what do you suggest is the best of the best mounts for the average ARK survivor? Takes everything into some degree of ability. Relatively easy to tame. Breed-able. I literally cannot think of anything which fits the bill (accurately).

As said above, Anky fits that bill well. Not only is it an easy tame, plentiful but it is very strong. A tamed anky can be a great early battle mount and hit like trucks endgame with bred stats and good saddles. 

Besides all that,metal, flint, thatch. Great tame.

The other is a Theriz. Not as easy to tame (though pretty easy with some prep - good ramped taming pen and lots narcoberries) Its probably one of the most veratile. Stellar wood, fiber, berry, meat, hide gatherer. Rex-status battle mount and great when specialized to carryweight, speed, pure melee or mixed. Endgame tame for bosses aswell. 

Edit: i stuck with the Herbivour thread tag theme

I would have to say the Iguanodon because it can out run most creatures on 4 legs, if on 2 legs in can jump over a lot of  structures and can do some good damage in the higher levels. If you own the dlc maps then maybe consider the ravager  from Ab, I used to have a lvl 180 on official and that would kill lvl 140 spinos with no problems at all. They can jump really high and outrun everything on most maps. Hope you liked my opinion ;) 

Based on ease of tame plus utility it is the Dire Bear.

Fast, strong fighter, good weight

Harvest's meat, fiber, berry, flowers, etc.

Can fire weapons off

Easy tame with top efficiency with Honey

Easy raise, high weight to hold a lot early. Omnivore and short raise timer.

Megatherium is a close second but a bit more of a pain to tame due to erractic running (if you don't trap first)

Have to agree with TempestoftheArk & d1nk....for my money its the tickle chicken & anky. I will have 1 follow the other early game as I beach bob it down the beach busting river rocks for early metal & flint hording for making sparkpowder plus with them being herbies it very simple to fill feeding troughs with minimal effort, multiple berry stacks of 100 with much more generous spoiling time than meat or cooked meat. Not only are they great at mat gathering & defense, they are also very easy w/the upkeep.

I was surprised with no Mana comments too, It'd be my mount of choice. I've still top end pvp, good escot and can kill anything wild without taking damage. Once bred it can still be dangerous even with the nerfs.
My weight is only 558, but at 100% imprinting it goes to 670. Then you can level it and get to 2k weight and 3k stam, definitely a good transport.

For the average survivor?

Probably the rex and the argent together. Rexes are easy tames and even low levels are strong. Argents are even easier tames and their value cannot be overstated. Both are extremely popular to breed for a reason. For smaller carnivores, I'd say the baryonyx is the king here, mainly because it can fit in most Island caves whereas the thyla cannot.

There isn't really a single best at anything, honestly. Animals either have a specific niche or a general preference, but almost everyone has the two I mentioned in common.

On 4/27/2019 at 10:37 AM, hud said:

Giga, wyverns, thyla are all luxury dinos, if u have them its great, if not, u can live without them.

I have to disagree that wyverns are 'luxury' dinos. Depending on the map, they are arguably one of the easiest to get, and one of the most versatile creatures in the game. If you can tame a ptera, you can steal a wyvern eggs quite easily, and taming pteras is super easy... bola + a couple of tranq arrows. 

Once you're had a wyvern, its hard to do without them. That's evidence enough of how great they are. 

I'm going to go with the Baryonyx. You have to pump points into health, but that stun attack is a life saver. Even with a low level you can take out an alpha carno by luring it into a deep enough body of water. They go into most caves and aren't a terrible tame. Just a bola and buttloads of narcs. They aren't as fast as an iguanodon, but fast enough to outrun big problems. Their weight isn't perfect, but it is enough to keep some beach bob basics on. 

2nd place, for me, is the anky. They are hella useful to get metal and flint (obviously) but can also gather berries. Get enough melee and they hit like a friggin' truck. Slow for my taste and poor stamina, but a lot safer than say a parasaur or galli. 

2 hours ago, DeHammer said:

I have to disagree that wyverns are 'luxury' dinos. Depending on the map, they are arguably one of the easiest to get, and one of the most versatile creatures in the game. If you can tame a ptera, you can steal a wyvern eggs quite easily, and taming pteras is super easy... bola + a couple of tranq arrows. 

Once you're had a wyvern, its hard to do without them. That's evidence enough of how great they are. 

They are great, I agree on that.,but I think still he is just a luxury dino. Before ext, wyvern were must have dino. When they introduce mana, wyvern died. 

49 minutes ago, hud said:

They are great, I agree on that.,but I think still he is just a luxury dino. Before ext, wyvern were must have dino. When they introduce mana, wyvern died. 

I think you're comparing the two from an objective perspective... you play PvP perhaps? From a PvE perspective, the wyvern hasn't died at all. Not to mention they are far more available and far easier to get hold of. 

5 hours ago, DeHammer said:

I think you're comparing the two from an objective perspective... you play PvP perhaps? From a PvE perspective, the wyvern hasn't died at all. Not to mention they are far more available and far easier to get hold of. 

When you think of PvP vs PvE balance you need to remember official. A mana is a quick tame whereas a wyvern takes 4 days (been awhile had to think about it.. 4 ? 7?) To raise. Manas are a heck of a lot more available as you just need to tame one versus raising. 

24 minutes ago, d1nk said:

When you think of PvP vs PvE balance you need to remember official. A mana is a quick tame whereas a wyvern takes 4 days (been awhile had to think about it.. 4 ? 7?) To raise. Manas are a heck of a lot more available as you just need to tame one versus raising. 

I'm thinking across all maps. Mana's on any maps but Extinction? I don't think there are. 

Archived