Add the ATV to official servers

Lowly

Suggestion

1 atv per tribe, counts towards 50 slots to tame cap ( to incentivise tribes to cryopod it when not using it)

Not indestructible like on singleplayer

Add in an option to park it. When parked it becomes almost anchored down like a parking break, as to reduce server side physics calculations on it

Highly doubt this will happen but suggestions are suggestions right

Maybe we will get behind the idea of a hovercraft next :)

9 replies to this server topic

17 hours ago, invincibleqc said:

You clearly have no idea of what you are talking about. The original model is the default model available in unreal engine. What is written on the tires is "Epic Games". Wildcard made their own model before adding it as a reward in single-player.

Stop spreading rumors.

You're right. They were sued for violating a no-compete clause by Trendy, not Epic. That is my bad.

However, the original ATV model added and used in the game (Patch 207) was using the Epic Games asset. They pulled it from the game for a while and then added it back in with their own updated version of the model. Default "free" asset or not, in my industry it's pretty frowned upon to use somebody else' stuff for one's own commercial gain in a released property.

I am glad the original devs have moved on to other endeavors. Regardless of how you may or may not feel about them, they certainly did not utilize best business practices.  I think it's the best thing that's happened to this game is that they moved on (where they are continuing to re-use old assets from another game to develop a new one).  And yes, I know that *that* is not uncommon in the larger game industry as a whole (reuse of engine/reuse of music/ reuse of arts) to make sequels to games, but that doesn't make it feel good or feel appropriate, either.  ATLAS should not feel like an ARK sequel. It shouldn't BE an ARK sequel. But it kind of is. And that feels terrible.

Ark today is so much better than ARK was pre-September. And I, obviously, like ARK, or I woudn't care enough to play the game, nor would I bother on the forums. But just because I like a thing doesn't mean I agree with everything about it.

In any event, the ATV controls leave a lot to be desired. It steers like the MAKO, and is just about as useful. But just because I, personally, don't like it doesn't mean that other people might not take joy from it. However, for it to be added into the main game, it would need to serve some other useful function, which I just don't see as possible unless it got a complete TLC overhaul, which seems unlikely.

• Volunteer Moderator

4 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

However, the original ATV model added and used in the game (Patch 207) was using the Epic Games asset. They pulled it from the game for a while and then added it back in with their own updated version of the model. Default "free" asset or not, in my industry it's pretty frowned upon to use somebody else' stuff for one's own commercial gain in a released property.

It was originally made available as an example for modders and for server admins to spawn and experiment with in v207.0:

On 3/27/2017 at 10:55 AM, Jatheish said:

v207.0
* Driveable Dune Buggy Modding example (we'll let modders have the first crack at vehicles with this example :) Gonna be interesting ;)

(also available for server admins to spawn for experiments, and so is the Dragon)

cheat spawnactor "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Dinos/Dragon/Dragon_Character_BP.Dragon_Character_BP'" 1 1 1

cheat giveitem "Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Vehicles/VH_Buggy/Blueprint/PrimalItemVHBuggy.PrimalItemVHBuggy'" 1 1 false -- for proper driving physics on dedicated servers, highly recommend that server admins who use the Buggy run their server with INI change:
"steamapps\common\ARK\Projects\ShooterGame\Saved\Config\WindowsServer\Engine.ini"
[/script/engine.physicssettings]
Server_MaxSubsteps=5

Was then removed for stability reasons in v209.0:

On 3/27/2017 at 10:55 AM, Jatheish said:

v209.0
* Removed the "Buggy" (heh heh) Vehicle from the build for now until we resolve the stability of multiple asynchronous PhysX substeps

Was then added back as a work-in-progress in v258.0:

On 3/27/2017 at 10:50 AM, Jatheish said:

v258
- Re-added the ATV vehicle as work-in-progress "easter egg" for singleplayer and custom servers: Blueprint'/Game/PrimalEarth/Vehicles/VH_Buggy/Blueprint/PrimalItemVHBuggy.PrimalItemVHBuggy'

Then they added their own model in v258.61:

v258.61

- Added Tek ATV visuals, and added rideable Passenger Seat to Tek ATV

To finally make it a reward for ascending in single-player in v259.0:

v259.0
- ATV engram is available in singleplayer after reaching max ascension.

I'm not sure how you operate in your "industry", but using placeholder assets that are available in the engine you utilize and pay royalty to while you are still working on a feature is pretty common and probably the best practice as you are not wasting time and resource polishing something until it is fully done and working. It was never used for "commercial gain". Yet, the game was still labeled Early Access at the time.

34 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

I am glad the original devs have moved on to other endeavors. Regardless of how you may or may not feel about them, they certainly did not utilize best business practices.  I think it's the best thing that's happened to this game is that they moved on (where they are continuing to re-use old assets from another game to develop a new one).  And yes, I know that *that* is not uncommon in the larger game industry as a whole (reuse of engine/reuse of music/ reuse of arts) to make sequels to games, but that doesn't make it feel good or feel appropriate, either.  ATLAS should not feel like an ARK sequel. It shouldn't BE an ARK sequel. But it kind of is. And that feels terrible.

Please don't turn that thread into another bashing ATLAS; there are plenty of them already so no need to derail an unrelated one. Even discussing the history of the models and stuff rather start to feel irrelevant and off-topic so let's get back on the topic that is: adding the ATV to multiplayer.

7 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

I don't know that they can. The ATV was an asset borrow from EA

It was? Source of this info? A lot of the building and weapon assets are free to use ones from the unreal asset packs, hence why some assets are very similar to Fortnite assets

EA meaning electronic arts or early access?

9 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

Electronic Arts. Part of that whole lawsuit. On the wiki you can (or could) see an EA stamp on the model's tire. 

There was a lawsuit about that too? I thought the lawsuit was about some sort of non compete Claus in Jeremy's contract

Anyways the ATV is in the game, it's in singleplayer on all shipped copies of the game, so I'd be confused if there was some sort of rights dispute over it still

• Volunteer Moderator
On 4/26/2019 at 11:59 AM, Caerbannog said:

I don't know that they can. The ATV was an asset borrow from EA

You clearly have no idea of what you are talking about. The original model is the default model available in unreal engine. What is written on the tires is "Epic Games". Wildcard made their own model before adding it as a reward in single-player.

Stop spreading rumors.

34 minutes ago, Lowly said:

There was a lawsuit about that too? I thought the lawsuit was about some sort of non compete Claus in Jeremy's contract

Anyways the ATV is in the game, it's in singleplayer on all shipped copies of the game, so I'd be confused if there was some sort of rights dispute over it still

It's a really ugly grey area. Basically the lawsuit was about no compete, employee poaching, etc. Having a ATV in there which was blatantly taken from a former employer is kind of unscrupulous. Most companies have policies in place that if you use company time/equipment/assets on a project, that project then becomes property of the company.

Also, the ATV steers worse than the MAKO from Mass Effect. I'm really not in love with it--but more power to you if you enjoy it.

11 minutes ago, Caerbannog said:

It's a really ugly grey area. Basically the lawsuit was about no compete, employee poaching, etc. Having a ATV in there which was blatantly taken from a former employer is kind of unscrupulous. Most companies have policies in place that if you use company time/equipment/assets on a project, that project then becomes property of the company.

Also, the ATV steers worse than the MAKO from Mass Effect. I'm really not in love with it--but more power to you if you enjoy it.

It's something different and different thins are always fun to try, like managarmr, Griffin mek enforcer scouts, they are all different 

And I can't see it being that much of a grey area of they left it in the game for official release which was way after the case was settled

Archived