Harvest Garden Plots with Sickle

SapphireSam7

Suggestion

Hello,

This was an idea that I read about in the old forum and loved. 

I enjoy the gardening process, but having to get into the inventory of every plot can be a little excessive, and a bit monotonous when you have to do so each day. 

The concept is to reinvigorate the sickle and give it another function, the ability to harvest item from the garden plot. There are two option I have considered thus far;

1- you swing it at a garden plot, the items are added into your inventory, and the plant continues to grow.

Or

2- you swing it at a garden plot, the item are added into your inventory, and the plant goes back to seedling stage to regrow.

*this is from the perspective of an xbox PVE player who does not have the ability to install mods to simply the process. 

Throughout the discussion, the following suggestions were also made: 

• Use of a "basket" to swing it over the plots to harvest the items in them
  • Use of the whip to collect harvestables from the plots
  • Adjusting the process to follow that of Atlas where you can simply walk up to a plot to collect from it and fertilize it after the harvest is complete. 

9 replies to this server topic

3 hours ago, Eagle3387 said:

I'm glad you posted this. I had the idea a few months ago but cant find my original post about it. It would be so nice to be able to run down a row of mejo and just swing the sickle and harvest all the berries instead of doing transfer all in and putting fertilizer back in and moving to the next row of berries.

If the original post was on the old forum set, it may have been yours that I read. Loved it then, and love it still. ?

I love farming, but the collection process needs something to help it along. 

I know that there are a lot of mods out there, but for an xbox player like myself, they don't really do me any good. If they were adding a few more S+ items, that included those they have for farming, going that route may work, but until then, I think this is a legitimate alternative that adds a bit of life to known tool. 

On 8/12/2019 at 3:09 AM, DuncanMacleod08 said:

Would be a nifty feature to add in.. even if plant had to regrow as long as sickle only took the done vegetables and left seed and fertilizer alone I’d be all for it.

Agreed. 

It has been a while since I took a look at this forum post, but it came to mind after doing some gardening on a primitive plus map I opened for some fellow players. We have a normal 3 map PVE cluster - but we had a group new to ark who have never experienced primitive plus gameplay so we opened it to give them a chance to try it out before we get caught up in Genesis. 

And one thing came to mind very quickly - how quickly and time consuming harvesting the garden plots can be. 

I did talk to the others on the cluster I play on about it and they suggested the following;

• Use of the sickle (as originally suggested)
  • Use of a basket (new item, swing it over a crop plot to collect harvestables)
  • Use of a the whip (it collects items from the ground normally, so using it to collect from the crop plots seems feasible - although a bit "unrealistic")

However it is done, I would just be happy to have something to help us gather items from the crop plots. 

To make an updated note to this suggestion, I would like to add the following option; 

Set up the Garden Plots as they did with Atlas. 

For thus unfamiliar;

• Place the Plot
  • Irrigate the Plot
  • Click on the Plot to add Fertilizer/Feces
  • Select "Add Seed" from the menu wheel. Choose the seed you wish to add. 
  • Once seeded, add as many fertilizer/feces items you wish by simply selecting the plot and watch the fertilizer level climb. 
  • When the item has grown in, instead as a "fertilize" option you will have a "harvest option" that will then be replaced with a "Fertilize" option once the item has been harvested. 

Setting it up in this way removes the requirement of needing a tool or accessing the inventory of the plot to harvest from it. 

For the time that I played the other game, I loved this method. It dramatically decreased the time it took to harvest and fertilize the garden plots. Heck, adding it into the main game would be awesome, adding it to Primitive Plus where there are so many plants would be a huge QOL time-saver. I have played on both and the harvest time is so long, I often became frustrated with the process and the time it took to complete it. 

Great idea, maybe a higher level crop plot could irritate other plots, or spread out fertilizer and even send all collected seeds and berries to a “collector” type thing? Maybe a creature that will “gather” the crops? The creature would be small and really like berries, and maybe the “turret mode” would make it gather?

Hi, I know this is an old post but I made a suggestion just like this one and you sent link to this one. I agree that they should add this would save hours every week from harvesting crops one by one. It doesn't have to be a sickle maybe it can be a dino like iguanodon and if you press c it collects crops from crop plots in an area or something to make it a lot faster. Maybe even a tek gardener or something like that. Its just a huge effort to collect crops and you could spend that time doing something else in ark. Maybe if we get enough votes the devs see it sooner. ? Definitely want this to be added in any way shape or form.

A whip would probably be the fastest way because you can whip once and it collects all the crops in that area. Not the most realistic but would still be a lot better.

On 5/26/2020 at 3:37 PM, Dinobros2000 said:

Great idea, maybe a higher level crop plot could irritate other plots, or spread out fertilizer and even send all collected seeds and berries to a “collector” type thing? Maybe a creature that will “gather” the crops? The creature would be small and really like berries, and maybe the “turret mode” would make it gather?

Pegomastax. Maybe then I'd reconsider turning every single one I see into red paste under my Giga's foot.

Archived