Remove or Increase Tether on Xbox

Detrik

Suggestion

Let's start this off with the fact that so many console players (who play with friends/family) are unhappy with tether distance... probably more than 70% of the ark console community...personally I just bought ark for the Xbox and I can't even play it without wanting to throw my remote across the room...I have over 100 hours of ark on steam and they have a tether distance option!!! So why can't Xbox have a tether distance option!!!!! It's said because it causes performance issues...but my laptop can run it on low at around 30 fps and the tether distance doesn't affect it at all...so Xbox should have no issue... Please studio wild card...at least give us the option!!! If you want to throw out a warning that it could cause performance issues then do it...but add tether distance options back into non dedicated servers!!!!!!!!! If you agree please comment on this post bc it's about time that studio wild card sees this and acts upon it!!!

• Like 3

82 replies to this server topic

On 3/1/2019 at 12:33 AM, SaltyMonkey said:

You can remain unhappy because they will never get rid of the tether. They added the distance slider by mistake but that option is only available for PC’s because of the many different specifications, and a low spec PC is still better than a console. Consoles do not have the hardware capability to support the increase.

On 6/18/2019 at 7:00 PM, VladimireWolf said:

I was running a local split screen with the slider on ps4 pro and had no issues also I did it on a non dedicated server  still has no issues I wish they would being it back it made the game a lot better

@SaltyMonkey  Is that really so? It seems some people had no issues and they even had a slider back then. raptoring lol... this game is a joke... They can't even fix the Pve building issue on console and PC... Pathetic

Edited by RegisteredFlexOffender

The tether is there so you can play the game with out fault. Me and my friends used to play with the tether way before unofficial ever existed. But the main thing I recall from that was when ever the host died the tether broke. Thus the everyone crashed out of the session. The point being that both the console and PC tether is there for a reason. If the tether wasn't there the game would kill your console or PC. 

Your best bet is to find a unofficial server or gather your friends together and host your own server. I'm doing that now for those same friends and we are having a blast. 

Aight, now I might be bein stupid cause I haven’t really messed around much, but my friend and I are just wanting to play together on two different consoles which means each machine is rendering its own stuff right? Well we can’t figure out how to expand the tether or just get rid of it to the point we can each run and do our own things and explore our own caves. I get the tether if your running split screen cause then it would be trying to render two different areas which would be too much for our ps4, but that’s not what we are doing.

10 hours ago, Dragonknight4206969 said:

Mr

On single player mode it would be a great thing if y'all can make it to where the second player don't have to stay in range of the first player

Host tether distance.  The slider doesn't actually limit you, you can type in as high value as you want. I have mine at 50 :D 

Well, that'll do you fine on the Island, and Rag and Ex for the most part at least, so long as you don't intend to go into any caves alone. If you're talking about the teleporting in certain zones (regardless of distance to the host)? I wholeheartedly agree, please do something about that WC.

EDIT: Made this reply when OP wasn't filed under Console.

Edited by TheEclipseee

I have a PC that is pretty beefy (ryzen 5 with gtx1080ti and 16gb ram) and i have the windows 10 xbox play anywhere version of ark. Me and my friends are limited with a tether distance even though i could easily run it with a much higher distance (i am host on my pc) since i have a pc. I cant do this because i have the play anywhere version from the windows 10 store and not the steam version. At least add the tether distance slider to PC for the windows 10 store since i dont and wont have any problem running it.

Tether distance

I have been playing ark since the first couple months it was available on xbox. I love the game and can deal with some of the small bugs in the game but one thing that ruins the game is the tether distance. 250m? Way too short. Please remove this, or at least bring back the option to increase. Just add a warning that changing this setting could affect performance and we can find what our xbox's can handle. I guarantee this bothers way more than me and makes the experience of ark way better. Pvp and Pve are almost impossible due to people building pillars so can't build and pvp is only fun for the strong toxic tribes. Please give us the option to increase or get rid of the barrier. Help them see this and show that it is way more than me that would love to have this in non dedicated servers

Man I am about to sell all of my ARK stuff that I have acquired over the years, i used to suggest it to people all the time but now I wouldn't suggest to to my worst enemy for the insanity that it causes, Does anybody at wild card even play the game? because it takes less than 5 minutes to find out for yourself how effin enraging it is!!!

On 2/28/2019 at 2:27 AM, Detrik said:

Let's start this off with the fact that so many console players (who play with friends/family) are unhappy with tether distance... probably more than 70% of the ark console community...personally I just bought ark for the Xbox and I can't even play it without wanting to throw my remote across the room...I have over 100 hours of ark on steam and they have a tether distance option!!! So why can't Xbox have a tether distance option!!!!! It's said because it causes performance issues...but my laptop can run it on low at around 30 fps and the tether distance doesn't affect it at all...so Xbox should have no issue... Please studio wild card...at least give us the option!!! If you want to throw out a warning that it could cause performance issues then do it...but add tether distance options back into non dedicated servers!!!!!!!!! If you agree please comment on this post bc it's about time that studio wild card sees this and acts upon it!!!

I agree I have it on PS4 and I get super annoyed that my friends and family can't do thier own thing while in the same sever

Drag Tether in nondedicated multiplayer

recently i was looking for a way to turn the nondeicated multiplayer drag tether off in the options and saw a video on how to do this.....on the computer. but i dont have3 a gaming computer, i have an xbox one. i cant find the same option that is available for pc in the xbox options menu. that seems a bit odd. could you please add an option to the xbox one options menu to turn the tether dragging off?

my reasoning is simple. i play this game mostly with my nephew. e4specially right now with everything going on with the crisis. i have been babysitting my nephew through the xbox an entire state away (he is old enough to be home alone for short periods now but it makes my sister feel better to now he has contact with someone). as such we have been playing a lot of ark together online. this has overall been very helpful for both of us. it kept him calm and gave him enjoyment while home alone and it kept me distracted from the troubles going on right now. but we keep getting frustrated with the game too. lets be honest ... its kinda a buggy mess. dinos able to shove their faces several block lengths through walls..... plant species x not firing like it should... setting slider values being confusing.... unable to stop certain wild dinos and resources from spawning inside my bases despite having pillars and foundations everywhere and the settings for spawn radius set.... and of course the drag tether that wont quit.

often we get draggted for being out of range even when we are standing right next to each other.its very confusing to get caught in a dragloop when you onlyu want to take 5 steps away from host. thats of course the worst part. but it is still also annoying when you reach the default max tether distance and get yanked back to host. it means we have to be holding hands with everywhewre we want to go and everything we want to do. we cant split up and save time by doing our tasks seperately. also we often end up accidently dying together and losing all inventory because host dragged one of us off cliff. its very disruptive to gameplay.

that being said it is not a total curse. i must givecredit where credit is due. it is actually a two edged sword because we have also saved each others lives using the drag tether too. mostly by drgging one another away from a trex or by dragging each other away from the radiation zone in aberration etc. we also manage to helpget lost dinos or other dinos stuck on cliffs to safety and back to base by riding said dino and having host drag us to base.... but honestly its definitely more annoying than it is helpful.

i dont want to play on a real time public server either. especially not with a young child due to contact with strangers. but also because its a lot of constant work tomaintain the dinos and bases from raiders. not to mention the giga draggers (players that delight in dragging gigas to other groups bases for fun). so please add an option to turn host tethers off

I have a question for you guys (wildcard studio) why did you guys remove the tether distance for Xbox one, because I want to play ark with my family and friends in my own server with no tether can you guys please add the choice to have the tether or not please?

Edited by FinancedBongo87

It is so annoying when I want to do a cave run or go get wyvern eggs and my friends get tethered to me and end up dying. They always have to be in range of me no matter where I am going so I can't go get some wood without dragging them with me just to get some wood so I can craft a saddle. Why does it disturb you to let people decide if they want to change it? Where is the problem here because I never saw anyone complaining when you had the setting so you could change it but now no one on console wants to play the game because you wont let us change a stupid setting or just remove it altogether.