Remove or Increase Tether on Xbox

Detrik

Suggestion

Let's start this off with the fact that so many console players (who play with friends/family) are unhappy with tether distance... probably more than 70% of the ark console community...personally I just bought ark for the Xbox and I can't even play it without wanting to throw my remote across the room...I have over 100 hours of ark on steam and they have a tether distance option!!! So why can't Xbox have a tether distance option!!!!! It's said because it causes performance issues...but my laptop can run it on low at around 30 fps and the tether distance doesn't affect it at all...so Xbox should have no issue... Please studio wild card...at least give us the option!!! If you want to throw out a warning that it could cause performance issues then do it...but add tether distance options back into non dedicated servers!!!!!!!!! If you agree please comment on this post bc it's about time that studio wild card sees this and acts upon it!!!

• Like 3

82 replies to this server topic

the game works better with client server architecture. in single player or "co-op" you are hosting both the server and client on your console. In single player the games takes tons of shortcuts to cut down on overhead that it simply couldn't do if people were allowed to wander around freely.  with hardware it's almost always a "get what you pay for" situation.

32 minutes ago, Vikingonmars said:

ps4 tether distance

Add a tether distance bar in the general settings for ps4

Like the 30 other posts about this, console does not have the processing power to increase tether distance without chances to harm the hardware. 

It would be too much data and risk frying something. 

can you get rid of the console single player border!!!

the single player border ruins the game for me and friends cause we would want to build a base in different places of the map but we can't because of the border.

could you please remove the border or make it an option to turn off

btw I play on the ps4

Edited by LockieDragneel

4 hours ago, LockieDragneel said:

can you get rid of the console single player border!!!

the single player border ruins the game for me and friends cause we would want to build a base in different places of the map but we can't because of the border.

could you please remove the border or make it an option to turn off

btw I play on the ps4

There is a reason why there is a border. Its almost as if the console couldnt handle it. You either have to put up with the border orrent a server. 

I know the tethers there to keep the system from overloading.  But is 2 separate renders areas  really that much to handle?  Most people who want the removed tether want to play co op with 2 ppl.  I dont see my system crashing from 2 rendered areas.  If im rendering at 50+ solo i think it could handle 2 players rendering.  Especially when i play center and theres literally 500+ insects in a cave...No exaggeration in total its probably close to 1000, suddenly moving and attacking, and my game, tho slow as heck because of this idiot oversight, still isnt crashing.  I think in most cases 2 players individually rendering wouldnt 'blow up' my system.  I think it could handle it.  Maybe mark certain high demand areas as ever1 needs 2 b here and force a tether wen it does get to be to much, otherwise let us play without tether.

On 6/19/2019 at 1:22 AM, Onimusha759 said:

I know the tethers there to keep the system from overloading.  But is 2 separate renders areas  really that much to handle?  Most people who want the removed tether want to play co op with 2 ppl.  I dont see my system crashing from 2 rendered areas.  If im rendering at 50+ solo i think it could handle 2 players rendering.  Especially when i play center and theres literally 500+ insects in a cave...No exaggeration in total its probably close to 1000, suddenly moving and attacking, and my game, tho slow as heck because of this idiot oversight, still isnt crashing.  I think in most cases 2 players individually rendering wouldnt 'blow up' my system.  I think it could handle it.  Maybe mark certain high demand areas as ever1 needs 2 b here and force a tether wen it does get to be to much, otherwise let us play without tether.

A non-dedicated server only functions because it’s rendering the host using their single player saved data.

1 hour ago, Onimusha759 said:

Then my argument should at least stand to allow us to increase the tether by a slider.  I think my system could handle it.

1 hour ago, HappyChappy said:

Yop I bought the game a week ago, and I already regret it. The tether is too short and the text is awfully small. If you're making a local split-screen option for a game, then make it right. I believe changing this wouldn't be such an issue, since these are just minor problems.. 

Just add an optional tether slider with a "warning" if you must, and make the text bigger... 

Please don't think we are some fools Wild Card, don't forget that we are the ones that pay your bills. At lease you can do is listen to us and do something. We're not asking for much.

Never gunna happen. The tether distance was already increased once and the devs have no intention of increasing it again. You’re beating a dead horse at this point.

Edited by SaltyMonkey

9 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

Never gunna happen. The tether distance was already increased once and the devs have no intention of increasing it again. You’re beating a dead horse at this point.

I have no doubt that your right.  I think its purely because they dont want to over a lack of system power tho.

Quick question, if it tethers and renders from our save data, couldnt we theoretically have 2 save files loaded to render to separate areas?  I know there could be confliction maybe between the files if 1 players without the other for a while but couldnt we load p1's save and allow p2 to render separately even?  I know, kinda 2 questions, sorry.  Im also not a programmer, but it does seem like this could realistically be done better.

Assuming console and unfortunately console hardware could not handle that. It could actually damage the hardware trying to process that much information. 

I believe PC does not have a tether or it can be extended or turned off. 

Your other options are to rent a server or join a server. Check some of the unofficials. You'll probably find some that fit your play style and time.

Its not something that can happen due to console limitations. If you want to play with your friend your best bet is to find a server to play on, there's plenty of unofficial servers out there so you'll find something that suits your play style sooner or later, or you could set up your own if you really wanted to play with just your friend.

If you can run without a tether on seven days ....then why can't they do it on ark? 

I also heard they won't increase it because it's to much of a money making profit for them to rent out dedicated servers to increase the non dedicated teather. So more or less its rent one or join one ....or get another console, pc f,ect get the game again n run it 24/7 to have no teather. 

St least its what I heard from the Facebook groups . 

44 minutes ago, Dragonlady305 said:

If you can run without a tether on seven days ....then why can't they do it on ark? 

Because 7 days to die isn’t running any where near the same calculations.

I also heard they won't increase it because it's to much of a money making profit for them to rent out dedicated servers to increase the non dedicated teather. So more or less its rent one or join one ....or get another console, pc f,ect get the game again n run it 24/7 to have no teather. 

PC has a tether too except they get a slider because there are different specifications of PC but only 1 spec on console. Even the pro versions were unable to increase the tether range.

St least its what I heard from the Facebook groups .

Facebook is full of lies.

l just want to fry my ps4 sure there's tons of ways do it especially on ark but i want to fry it with my friends on ark with no border  give a warning for those who just like to mess with the settings like how minecraft (example minecraft does not take nearly that much as ark) does with amplifed world thats it, it warns you if you dont have a beefy computer then dont do it, long story short i want that bar ,actually i be fine if they allowed me to make it smaller every five seconds i teleport my friend that be fun too to be honest i dont evening care i was look for how to make dye with a water skin ima gonna make my house purple but then i got here 

non dedicated no more host tethering

Is there a way you can remove host tethering from when you try and set up a non-dedicated session or something because i've been trying to create a small sever with a few of my friends and its no fun when they can't go like 500 meters away from me. It would be much appreciated thank you for reading.

On the steam version, the tether can be extended. But still an issue with caves or other areas considered different zones. Also, for the steam version its simple to setup a dedicated server as long as you can port forward and have a spare PC to run a server.

For console turning off tether is like asking for permission to destroy your console. And it will not pass the certification process. 

Console options are to rent a dedicated server.