Remove or Increase Tether on Xbox

Detrik

Suggestion

Let's start this off with the fact that so many console players (who play with friends/family) are unhappy with tether distance... probably more than 70% of the ark console community...personally I just bought ark for the Xbox and I can't even play it without wanting to throw my remote across the room...I have over 100 hours of ark on steam and they have a tether distance option!!! So why can't Xbox have a tether distance option!!!!! It's said because it causes performance issues...but my laptop can run it on low at around 30 fps and the tether distance doesn't affect it at all...so Xbox should have no issue... Please studio wild card...at least give us the option!!! If you want to throw out a warning that it could cause performance issues then do it...but add tether distance options back into non dedicated servers!!!!!!!!! If you agree please comment on this post bc it's about time that studio wild card sees this and acts upon it!!!

• Like 3

82 replies to this server topic

I've literally played on console before where you could increase tether distance and they removed it. It wasnt causing many, if any errors, on the original Xbox one. They probably removed it with the bigger updates because they knew the larger scaled or more detailed maps would cause problems. It sucks now but.... I'll still play. Wish they could increase it just a bit though...

Honestly you want to know why they removed it? Simple really, money. Why would they keep an option in the game that actually allows players to play the game? No they did this to push more people to purchase garbagenado as that is literally the only way to play the game now unless you go solo or official servers. If you want a small server you host with your own rules well too bad because Wildcard only cares about money. 

Really amazing how conviently being able to host worlds on a 2nd console stopped working due to massive amount of bugs and world reseting every time you turn server off that this all started happening so much to the point where it’s impossible now to host from a 2nd console, interesting how this happened around same time nitrado was introduced to xbox. 

Yes issues was always in this game but it was still playable on a 2nd console with minimal issues. Now it’s impossible pretty much. 

I am not saying they purposely added those issues in or anything but honestly to me it feels that way because guess what pushes people to pay for nitrado which means dollar bills. 

Don’t have to agree with me but as someone who has played ark since week one and got a 2nd console to host i been through all this. 

Wildcard can keep making excuses and avoiding fixes these major bugs that break the game hosting wise outside of nitrado but them saying the xbox is simply not strong enough to handle hosting well i call bullpoop, conan exiles is just as big as ark and that runs pretty damn smooth with no major problems like this. 

Honestly was going to come back to ark since i missed playing it but seeing as how the tether option is removed well i certainly am not going to pay for nitrado services again when last time their customer service was terrible and my server settings kept changing back like it’s not saving. What really annoys me is that some settings do get saved but some don’t so how the hell does that make sense when i update it at the same time but it randomly decides oh nah we just won’t apply that code to increase Etc etc. 

If something does not save then surely the WHOLE SET of changes i am applying should not save but seeing as how some do get saved and some don’t that will forever remain a mystery to me. 

I always had to restart and repeat a few times until it does save and gets properly applied but then next day when i restart server, the changes undo itself again after already having been applied and literally saved and in effect previously. So no i don’t think i will spend more money on. Nitrado or Ark anymore. 

That’s my rant take it however you wish. 

When I first started playing ARK on my XBOX ONE S, single player split screen with my kids, there was a tether distance adjustment bar in the set up.  we played with it at its max (which was pretty far, I can't remember the distance) and we had NOT ONE issue with the game.  EVER.  So when they removed the option to make the distance locked citing problems, I didn't understand why.  We never had any problem on our console.

• Like 1

Yop I bought the game a week ago, and I already regret it. The tether is too short and the text is awfully small. If you're making a local split-screen option for a game, then make it right. I believe changing this wouldn't be such an issue, since these are just minor problems.. 

Just add an optional tether slider with a "warning" if you must, and make the text bigger... 

Please don't think we are some fools Wild Card, don't forget that we are the ones that pay your bills. At lease you can do is listen to us and do something. We're not asking for much.

Edited by HappyChappy

PLEASE ADD NON DEEICATED TETHER DISTANCE TO PS4

Please me and my friends cant play a world together on ps4 without being pulled to each other please we just want to enjoy the game together we had to have another ps4 set up to host a dedicated just to play and we cant do dlc games together please fix or just make it so there is not distance limiter in non dedicated please

Dear Wildcard Studios,

Please remove the tether limit on windows 10 (slider) because PC's can more than handle no tether limit for one person. Tether distance cripples the fun of ark because you cant really explore and it would be nice to play with friends and not be on a leash. This "leash" ruins the fun of ark all together because its just not entertaining sticking together the game is all about exploration and grinding resources.

Sincerley,

strong541

Hi, I play on ark on the xbox and I find it very annoying that my friends can't go far away from me. I think that you should get rid of this boundary so we can work on separate things in game and so I don't have to follow them around so they can do what they need to do.  Another problem I'm facing is I can't see other players names unless I'm 2 feet away from them. This is a problem for me because I can't find where they are if they need my help, and also can't find them if I need to get close to them because of your boundary you have set. So I think you need to get rid of this boundary because it causes so many problems.

Hi, why cant xbox have any tether distance at ALL whatsoever?????! I cannot LIVE without it because my friend doesnt give a poop about me when I'm trying to tame something like a griffin, and she doesnt care about when I'm trying to make a house. I mean, come on now! I hate this and I'm just about to delete ark myself.

I play on a very high quality computer for ark, it pisses me off how I can't run a dedicated server and play at the same time so I use the non dedicated server so I can play with friends but how the hell am I supposed to fly to the other side of the map and do what I wanna do or even walk to the other side of my yard before the tether pulls my friends away from wherever they are, I enjoy the teleport feature like if someone's stuck and all but it's still way more cons then pros 

Could a dev plz respond to this? Ty. We play on Xbox Series X and we've noticed the tether and spawn on host is no longer on the game which is sad somewhat. I realize that many have complained and I get that, but what can players who don't have the money or Xbox to host a dedicated server do to get the host tether back? It prevents trolls and griefers from annoying us, we see it as a bonus to the game. We have experimented with it and would like to know if there's an Xbox command or option to turn back on the spawn on host at least? Thank you for responding ahead of time.

19 hours ago, Detrik said:

Let's start this off with the fact that so many console players (who play with friends/family) are unhappy with tether distance... probably more than 70% of the ark console community...personally I just bought ark for the Xbox and I can't even play it without wanting to throw my remote across the room...I have over 100 hours of ark on steam and they have a tether distance option!!! So why can't Xbox have a tether distance option!!!!! It's said because it causes performance issues...but my laptop can run it on low at around 30 fps and the tether distance doesn't affect it at all...so Xbox should have no issue... Please studio wild card...at least give us the option!!! If you want to throw out a warning that it could cause performance issues then do it...but add tether distance options back into non dedicated servers!!!!!!!!! If you agree please comment on this post bc it's about time that studio wild card sees this and acts upon it!!!

You can remain unhappy because they will never get rid of the tether. They added the distance slider by mistake but that option is only available for PC’s because of the many different specifications, and a low spec PC is still better than a console. Consoles do not have the hardware capability to support the increase.

On consoles the tether makes playing on someone else's world not very fun as you need to be very close to them otherwise you get "teleported" to places you don't want to go.

Ok, I know that this will likely not work as well on the older Xbox, but definitely seems doable on the Xbox One X or Playstation Pro.  That and I know that this tether was accidently removed at one point and it did indeed work for them, it was quickly added back once that it was found out by the devs that the tether was no longer there.

In the very least allow console players to set the distance to see how playable it is, and if it doesn't work then they can change it to a playable distance.

I suspect the game would crash before the console melts down. The load would be to much & then, DC. Its not like a gas engine you are red lining or even a PC you are over clocking. Just a suspicion on my part. As far as running hot....I could fry eggs on my PS4...but thats been the case for years for me. Not 1 issue, knock on wood

The 1X was pushed in part with an extended teather on Ark as a feature putting it above the stock box. Not anymore, but its not like its rare for xbox to pull features or break promises. I guess that 1X wasnt as strong as they thought & they are worried about its limits being showcased?

Edited by Mossenstein

So, I play ark on console, and am not a big pvp guy. I also don't like PvE, as there are pillars everywhere and nowhere to build. I would just like for non dedicated servers that I host to not have tether, as tether distance makes the game harder, and your constantly being pulled to the host. It makes the game a lot less fun than it could be. If you even just lengthened it, I would be ok with that. Because 250 Meyers is way too short, especially if you want to do 2 different things.