Ocean Map DLC

ShadowMage016

Suggestion

Suggested Map Name: Rip Tide

The idea is to have a mostly ocean map (similar in size to Ragnarok) with a few small scattered islands (or one relatively large one).
  - islands will be very tropical, though some will be volcanic, mountainous, or snowy
There should be large underground caves to build in (many of which are also underwater).
Varied underwater biomes and areas such as:
  - Giant kelp beds
  - Sea grass plains
  - Oil fields
  - Steam vents
  - Underwater lakes (highly toxic and will harm creatures and players; possibly kick players off mounts?)
  - Ship graveyard
  - Sunken forests
  - Cypress or mangrove swamps (large redwood-sized trees growing in shallower waters)
  - Abyssal plains (very deep, very dark waters)
  - Coral reefs
  - Bioluminescent caves
  - Sunken Tek city
  - Molten element lake (located in the abyss?)

New weather events:
  - Hurricanes
  - Tides (could tie dino spawns to tide events where certain creatures only spawn during low/high tides)

Dinos
  - Trilobytes, Spinosaurus, Baryonyx are common around coastal areas and shallow areas where fish hide
  - Sarcos and kapros relatively common (kapros more-so by the swamp areas; they should be fairly uncommon elsewhere)
  - Otters
  - Obviously water dinos such as ichthyosaur, megalodon, plesiosaur, mosasaur, etc. should be common
  - New water dinos
     - New water-based wyvern: capable of swimming and flying; has a poisonous barbed tail (torpor); breath weapon is ??
        - Breath weapon possibilities
           - Sonic blast that stuns mounts (and dismounts players); could only be used underwater
           - Stream of super-heated water; deals damage ignoring some armor and also causes player temperature to rise; uses a water stat rather than stamina; has vastly increased damage and range on land/flying or on the water's surface
           - Cloud of toxic gas
        - nest in toxic underwater lakes and therefore immune to toxic effects of said lakes
        - Limited mobility out of water due to water stat drain
     - Sea drakes: variation of rock drakes better adapted to water
     - Hippocampus: Equus of the ocean; tames and acts just like an Equus
     - Nothosaurus: Basically an amphibious version of the plesiosaur
     - Aigialosaurus: basically a prehistoric iguana; possible oxygen shoulder pet
     - Eonatator: Small version of mosasaur
     - Goronyosaurus: An amphibious version of the mosasaur; ambush predator
     - Temnodontosaurus: Ichthyosaur with very large eyes to see in dark, deep waters
     - Helicoprion: Spiral-toothed shark; give it the "gnashed" ability
     - Kronosaurus: Very similar in appearance to mosasaur, but was able to crawl on land
     - Archelon: The largest sea turtle to have existed
     - Archegosaurus: Small amphibious salamander-like creature; possible oxygen shoulder pet
     - Eogyrinus: Large amphibious salamander-like creature
     - Ophiderpeton: Basically an amphibious version of titanoboa; has a constricting attack
     - Proterogyrinus: Basically an amphibious komodo dragon that lived in swamps and rivers
     - Gerrothorax: Basically an aquatic purlovia
     - Anatosuchus: "duck-billed crocodile"; very small, not rideable
     - Pakasuchus: "cat crocodile"  SWAMP CAT!!  small, not rideable
     - Desmatosuchus: Kapro with shoulder spikes; also an herbivore
     - Postosuchus: Kapro capable of both quadruped and biped stance
     - Terrestrisuchus: very small crocodile that inhabited wooded areas
     - Anomalocaris: Prehistoric crustacean; Essentially an aquatic version of Moschops (can be taught to harvest many resources)
     - Bacculite: Ammonite with a straight pointy shell
     - Bananogmius: A sail-finned fish
     - Xiphactinus: Large fish with large upturned jaw and lots of big pointy teeth
     - Astraspis, Cephalaspis, and/or Doryaspis:  armored fishes; some (especially doryaspis) look like tadpoles
     - Ceratodus: lung fish, capable of breathing air and "walking" on its fins
     - Mud Dragons (Phylum Kinorhyncha): These are tiny creatures, but a larger fictional form could make for a terrifying enemy
        on the beaches, can burrow and move underground (similar to Deathworms)
     - Giant octopus or cuttlefish
     - Giant ride-able crab (Karkinos? maybe with brighter color patterns)
  - New land/flying dinos
     - Moeritherium: Large hippo-like creature equally at home in water as on land
     - Thalassoleon: Large primitive seal
     - Anteosaurus: Basically a larger, predatory moschops
     - Hatzegopteryx: slightly smaller than quetz, but much more aggressive (to fill the flying apex predator role)
        - Dive bomb attack like the griffins
     - Amargasaurus: Smaller amphibious version of Bronto

Water tames that supply oxygen
  - Diplocaulus (should be very common around shallow waters)
  - New kind of fish (Bladderfish?  This would obviously be a fictional creature)
     - This would be a "shoulder pet" type of tame
     - Cannot leave the water; oxygen drains slowly while "held" and recharges when swimming free

Bosses:
  - Livyatan melvillei
  - Kraken
  - Giant electric ray

New resources
  - Existing DLC resources: Sand, green/blue/red gems, and element ore
  - Corkwood: used in flotation oriented recipes, such as life vests and lighter/faster rafts
  - Bamboo: could be used as a snorkel; bamboo could also be used for a new building tier between thatch and wood
     - Bamboo buildings would have the main benefit of being much more resistant to hurricanes than wood or thatch
  - Underwater oil veins (and accompanying pumps; similar to SE)
  - black variation of the clams that give pearls; found only in deep water and give black pearls
  - Seaweed/Kelp; could be used to tame aquatic and semi-aquatic herbivores
  - Aquatic version of berries for taming aquatic and semi-aquatic herbivores
     - Algae or Coral (technically coral are animals, but could work)

Plant Species W
  - Found underwater
  - Harvest for seeds/fruits; seeds must be planted underwater in order to grow
  - Fruits, when eaten, allow player to breathe and regen stamina underwater; also give boost to swim speed
     - This might limit the usefulness of Lazarus chowder, so some drawbacks need to be added to give the player viable choices:
        - Shorter duration (ex, 3 mins vs 10 mins)
        - Much more difficult to obtain (wild plants only found in hostile bio-luminescent underwater caves or especially deep water)
        - Shorter spoil time (ex, 10 mins vs 5 hrs)
        - Another possibility is to modify the Lazarus chowder recipe so that it requires these fruits
           - This could allow the plants to be more common and in easier to reach waters
  - Also provide oxygen while near them (like Plant Z heals)

New forms of electricity generation
  - Underwater turbines similar to windmills in SE; would need to add ocean currents to the map (similarly to wind in SE)
  - Geothermal pump to generate energy from steam vents

More raft styles, plus add ways to fend off the infamous Leedsichthys (armored raft?)
  - Small/Light Raft: made from corkwood and is lighter and faster than the normal raft (just fast enough to outrun a Leedsichthys) but is not buildable except for storage containers
  - Armored raft: requires corkwood and metal; same stats as standard raft but takes much less damage from a Leedsichthys
  - Large raft: larger, slower version of standard raft; has much higher build limits and takes slightly less damage from a Leedsichthys (perhaps an
    armored version as well?)

Craftable items that aid in swimming:
  - Primitive flippers: crafted from hide and wood or bamboo
  - Diving pump: airhose/mask and pump combination to allow limited range/depth but unlimited duration (provided pump does not run out of fuel)
  - Simple flotation device (life vest): crafted from fiber, hide and corkwood
  - Perhaps a "hazard suit" version of scuba gear to be able to survive the toxic underwater lakes
  - craftable mini-sub device (similar to seaglide in Subnautica); player can "ride" it by holding onto it; used to propel the player in areas where even small water mounts don't fit
     - runs on gasoline

Primitive forms of the Tek vacuum chamber
  - Leak over time, requiring continuous pumping
  - Tek chamber does require continuous power from Tek generator, but I believe they fill with water immediately if the generator runs out of
       element.  These primitive ones must be on a "decay timer" to enable hand pumping every so often (or even better, if there's a way to partially
       fill them with water, gradually increasing the water level over time if not pumped out).
  - Start with stone tier
     - Simple 2x2 sized room with moonpool; no other options/pieces
  - Metal tier
     - 2x2 rooms with no pre-built entrances
     - Can snap moonpool or air-lock style entrances
     - Has tunnel pieces in straight, corner, t- or x- configurations
     - Glass variants of tunnels and rooms
  - Water pumps to empty them
     - Hand pump: most primitive, requires significant stamina to use; snaps to inside of exterior walls of stone or metal rooms/tunnels
     - Electrical pump: requires electricity
        - These should be able to be built anywhere (excluding underwater) and will have hose attachments that can be built down to the vacuum
          chambers to pump out water
        - Once a chamber is emptied of water, pumps and other electrical/gasoline items can be built there (and fully function)
     - Submersible pump: can be built anywhere, even underwater, but still requires electricity to run
     - limited range/number of chambers any one pump can handle
  - These primitive chambers also have the disadvantage of running on normal generators, which cannot operate while submerged like the Tek generator
     - this requires players to either hand pump or build a generator on land to empty the chambers initially or if they get flooded
  - Add more Tek pieces such as sloped chambers, tunnels and an air-lock style entrance
  - Add Tek vacuum platforms (like the cliff/tree platforms) that can attach to underwater cliffs and columns

Other notes:
An interesting mechanic would be the ability to bury small storage chests in the sand

37 replies to this server topic

On 5/3/2020 at 10:22 AM, Dinobros2000 said:

Cool, don’t know the story of ark yet so please don’t spoil it! Also love to try the map when it’s done! Please post here when it is!

our story would kind of run along side arks main story, our main character was in fact helanas brother, he found out she was on another ark and makes it his mission to find her. they would eventually end up getting to extinction, where the story would end.

Try The sunken world, or Tiamat mods if you are on PC

On 9/5/2020 at 9:48 AM, Krulos said:

A full on, ocean map would be so amazing.

The most fun i have in ark is building water pens, and underwater bases. 

Oh yeah and raft bases! 

The ocean is just so awsome.

They are released map mods for the ocean, TSW is still early development though.

as I said earlier, I am also creating an a Ocean DLC mod, and it is called Oceania, but I’ve barely started on it.

4 hours ago, Dinobros2000 said:

No, unless it’s assentionn cutscenes and starting and waking up, no

also I am planning on making an aquarium mod!

by cut scenes thats what we meant, however we planned to make them more detailed, see the map came with a story, and as you defeated the bosses and when you would ascend, you would also experience flashback to the past survivors of the map.

I think ark is more focused on land than sea there is no sea boss you have to beat besides alphas so I think there should be a full on aquatic map with submarines new aquatic Dino’s like the leviathan whale and you should make the megalodon bigger like full size like it was and add other sharks you can tame like the hammerhead or bull shark that would take a while to get all types of sharks. And add maybe a passive ability for the turtle not the best idea but still and you could add underwater wyverns and you have to swim to the nest and get the eggs while underwater and you should add boats above water kinda like atlas but no island and you could add underwater tornadoes that would scatter anything outside from the underwater base and  tsunamis that can knock boats back and people off. Plus you could add a lot of stuff for the underwater base like hangers for the submarines that can drain water from the hanger. And you should add underwater trees to harvest and special armor better than scuba to help breath and go faster underwater and have 3 huge underwater bosses that you have to summon. And maybe some underwater shoulder pets that each have different abilities to help survive underwater like one could give you oxygen kind like the  Diplocaulus but smaller and on your shoulder.plus off topic i think you should make play as Dino on console .

A water based dlc is something lits of us ark players have been interested in for quite some time now. I think an underwater map could encourage more aquatic life on all maps (that have an ocean) and could also change metas and make the oceans worth while on existing maps.

The map could have small islands and underwater caves as starting areas (all with building limited to beds, campfires, etc to stop people from making traps or placing turrets). There could be a sunken city, (with a similar style to extinction's city)coral reefs, bioluminescent areas, barren wasteland areas, and maybe a toxic area with pollution that requires a radiation or pollution resistant dive suit and a dino that is either very tanky or is immune to the pollution (similar to reapers and rock drakes in radiation areas on aberration). The main areas (city, biolum, coral reef, etc) would be surrounded by the wasteland areas or just have drop-offs on all sides that either have a kill barrier or non-kill barrier to prevent you from going down. 

Some features and obstacles could include: pressure from swimming too deep (basilosaurus already has this effect), polluted or toxic areas that slowly kill you if you don't have the right gear equipped, extreme hot or extreme cold areas, and maybe underwater currents or cyclones that slow you down or speed you up (depending on which direction you and the current are going).

Some items or gameplay features could include: air skins (like a water skin but with air. Also could have air jars as more of a mid-level between skuba tanks and air skins), salty water jars, canteens, and skins that you have to put in a cooking pot to be able to drink, lower tier vacuum chambers that have a max structure size, rebreathers that makes your oxygen bar go down slower when equipped, handheld torpedo launchers that do massive damage to a single target, hydroelectric power sources, harpoon launchers that work similar to a zipline hook where you shoot a dino then a surface to immobilize the dino for a short period (could use more than one to elongate that time), and a small personal submarine or device that makes you swim faster.

Dinos could include: all current water dinos (and karkinos), diplocaulus, kaprosuchus, sarchosuchus, carbonemys, and maybe a water dragon type dino that must be tamed by immobilizing it using the harpoon gun feature (mentioned before), has a similar design to the water dragon things used in the army in aquaman, and can swim quickly in water, make strong water currents that deal small amounts of damage but either pull or push other dinos, can jump out of the water (similar to manta), and survive and move slowly on land for an extended period of time. 

There would definitely be more features and dinos, but these were my ideas. I would love to see this or something similar to this come to the game.

I'm not sure I want ALL of these but I sure want to see the oceans improved and you bring up excellent points. I hadn't spend a lot of time in the water so far and last week a friend accompanied me to tame my first mosa on Rag. I was so happy with it, I went "cool, now that I have this bada** beast, I want to go sightseeing in the ocean ! What are the cool landmarks around here ?". There was nothing to see for miles...
So yeah, upvoted, even though some of that stuff sounds a bit out there for me (water wyverns ? meh).

Also, allow me to pimp my own suggestion for a leeds TLC.

well all the way back when scorched came out people wanted an ocena map and wilc card even stated some where that an ocean map was coming, but three years and it never came, so we r taking it into our own hands, hence the sunken world. and we changed the water wyvern to something else when we joined another team.

Archived