Pillars

gimmeaname

On an official pve server, to what extent would someone have to go, in terms of claiming property, before you would report them?  I'm ok if someone pillars around their base a little or if they put pillars in areas where beaver damns may spawn or where the oil nodes spawn.  But currently my server has two guys who probably take up about 40% of the map between the two.  Ive been trying to move more north on my map and eventually build a water pen for my mosas and tusos however they literally have every beach pillared.   Any section that isnt pillared is taken up by another tribe. My only option is to find a spot under water with vacuum chambers.

I've asked both guys if they could remove some pillars for me, idk why, I knew they were going to say no but I was willing to try to work with them.  I dont think the one guy speaks english because it took him forever to respond and all he said was "ty".  The other one wants me to give him 50k metal ingots for a spot.  I offered to trade some dinos, gigas, wyverns, a pheonix and  reaper but he said no.  So I'm curious what you guys think I should do.  Should I suck it up and build underwater(which may not be good for basilos depending on how deep I want to build) or should I actually report this and remain persistent until they do something about it?

Just now, Avaraxius said:

wel send a support ticket then if its 100% coverd with pillars the gm wil sure remove alot if one tribe does it.. telling on forums does not help much.

It was easier to just find another server,  I was just saving others some time by raising awareness that it is a junk server.  I suggest that is what op does as well.

2 hours ago, d1nk said:

Wow 100% you mustve checked every single sqm of rag.. (doubt it) I bet you checked green ob, alpha plat and 2 other spots then posted this

There have been some maps where literally everywhere was pillared. Sure, a few spots are open but either 1. You’ll want to expand another  three foundations towards a 5-dayoffline storage box hidden in the woods or 2. Someone wants your land and pillars around it on purpose. 

12 minutes ago, MackTheKnife said:

There have been some maps where literally everywhere was pillared. Sure, a few spots are open but either 1. You’ll want to expand another  three foundations towards a 5-dayoffline storage box hidden in the woods or 2. Someone wants your land and pillars around it on purpose. 

I put over 2000 hrs into official since release and quit officials awhile ago, I do understand how the pillar situation works but 90% of the people who cry about pillars check the beach, then the "top 10 build locations!!" Video spots then quit looking. I do understand its a big issue on official PVE but I guarantee the person I replied to didnt check every part of the map to make his conclusion correct is all.

2 hours ago, d1nk said:

I put over 2000 hrs into official since release and quit officials awhile ago, I do understand how the pillar situation works but 90% of the people who cry about pillars check the beach, then the "top 10 build locations!!" Video spots then quit looking. I do understand its a big issue on official PVE but I guarantee the person I replied to didnt check every part of the map to make his conclusion correct is all.

2000 hours is only 83 days, now that may have been accumulated over the course of 5-6 months, but this isn't a d**k measuring contest of who's played the most.  Not to mention 83 days of play time doesn't mean you're more credible than someone with only 1000 hours of play time.  If you've truly played for 2000 hours then how about offering some constructive advice to us peasants on the topic at hand, otherwise go derail other topics.  Ty

And no!  Pipping someone elses base was never an option for me.  Seems like a waste of time and materials.  I can get a lot more done when I'm getting along with everyone on my server instead of trying to kite them or piping their base and fighting....on a pve server nonetheless but that's a different topic.  I don't really want to see people get dev wiped for something they could have easily prevented.  Can a dev wipe a structure of a certain type?  Can they delete only pillars?  Or would it just be a total structure wipe and their entire bases would just error 404?

1 hour ago, gimmeaname said:

2000 hours is only 83 days, now that may have been accumulated over the course of 5-6 months, but this isn't a d**k measuring contest of who's played the most.  Not to mention 83 days of play time doesn't mean you're more credible than someone with only 1000 hours of play time.  If you've truly played for 2000 hours then how about offering some constructive advice to us peasants on the topic at hand, otherwise go derail other topics.  Ty

And no!  Pipping someone elses base was never an option for me.  Seems like a waste of time and materials.  I can get a lot more done when I'm getting along with everyone on my server instead of trying to kite them or piping their base and fighting....on a pve server nonetheless but that's a different topic.  I don't really want to see people get dev wiped for something they could have easily prevented.  Can a dev wipe a structure of a certain type?  Can they delete only pillars?  Or would it just be a total structure wipe and their entire bases would just error 404?

Actually it was in response to the person I quoted and responded to, not a 'sausage measuring contest' I have a lot more than that and have been playing since alpha.. My point was I know about pillars (since I was being educated by my replier)

As to your problem or question.. I chose not to reply directly because I have mixed feelings about pillars. Ive been thr tribe fighting for a spot and ive been the tribe who owns most of the map. Owning most of the map was because we played that server forever. As bases demo'd we would pillar them and if people needed spots we would more often that not give it to them - depending on the person. We had community places where we pillared and never blocked any spawns. When I was the new guy I always found a spot after actually looking hard to do so.

Depends on the GM. In most experiences ive seen over pillaring the GM will demand they clean it up a bit, he checks in later and if they conformed he/she would leave them be. Sometimes they will use the kill command to manually do it (visciously) and ive seen one tribe structure wiped. They were purposfully pillaring in bases, blocking people's bases in and boxing in tames.

I would get screenshots of the peopl.who 'own a map' (the two 40%'ers) with you asking and them denying. Have they done it purposefully with ill-intent or have they been playing there awhile? Its hard to say. Again will depend on how the GM feels. 

I am not sure about this but I think the pillar timers have been removed?  Can anyone confirm?  That is to say for a bit if you did not visit your pillars in render distance they would decay.  I advocated this timer long ago.  Then they seem to think there was a glitch with it so it was shut off / removed?  Now ...

I pillared a spot that I no longer want but didn't realize that I would not have the no-visit-decay turned off.  I have not visited this end of the map.  I gave the land to someone else.  I removed every pillar I could before I left but might be one I cannot see.   Mind I really had intended to build a base so I pillared the mountain SIDES.  Now I cannot remove those pillars because the slope is to steep for footing.  

I want to give this land up!  But with no decay timer assisting in the removal I can't.  How long till the decay timer is returned to us?

Also, would like to see the decay times on buildings halved.  If you are not playing the game you should not be able to hold lands in the multiplayer.

13 hours ago, d1nk said:

I have played since day one, and yes I am aware of people that can't properly check for places to build.  I am not one of those people, feel free to check it out yourself to validate your professional opinion.  People that don't believe a map CAN be completely pillared are just as bad as the people who "say" every map is.  It doesn't matter to me I enjoyed the challenge, it's all about survival anyway.  I left only after I realized that surviving was the only thing I could do there anything else would require licking the boot of the server's "owners".   I'm sure they are just people that failed at being Alpha on pvp, so they like the "power" of controlling the whole map on pve

57 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

There is nothing illegal about pillaring the majority of the map as long as he leaves sufficient room for the other tribe to exit and enter their base. This is pretty standard practice on most PVE servers I am told. A core tenet of the PVE experience.

This is misleading.  Prior to making this post I was sure to re-read their code of conduct.  If I misunderstood anything please correct me.

> Structure Spamming - placing structures down such as pipes or wires for the purpose of disrupting others gameplay is against our code of conduct.

Directly quoted from their official rules here https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/code-of-conduct/

Excessively spamming structures is in fact against the rules.  The grey area lies in whether or not it disrupts the gameplay of others.  If the only place for me to build is beginner spawn beaches because everything else is pillared off then yes, that's disrupting not just my gameplay but any newcomers who may potentially make this server their home.  I'll submit my ticket to support and let a GM dictate whether or not these people are disrupting our gameplay.

• Volunteer Moderator
23 minutes ago, gimmeaname said:

This is misleading.  Prior to making this post I was sure to re-read their code of conduct.  If I misunderstood anything please correct me.

> Structure Spamming - placing structures down such as pipes or wires for the purpose of disrupting others gameplay is against our code of conduct.

Directly quoted from their official rules here https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/code-of-conduct/

Excessively spamming structures is in fact against the rules.  The grey area lies in whether or not it disrupts the gameplay of others.  If the only place for me to build is beginner spawn beaches because everything else is pillared off then yes, that's disrupting not just my gameplay but any newcomers who may potentially make this server their home.  I'll submit my ticket to support and let a GM dictate whether or not these people are disrupting our gameplay.

Since it technically isn't against the rules, the only time I've seen support make changes to pillars if when it's clear a tribe is using them to block the expansion of another tribes building.

So on the server where i play 466 pve,its no problem when chinese put pillars everywhere in the city without any base,just blocking places,that's mean we don't have chance to build anything. This is disgusting i think,because if no base there,why should block the place? I know around the base is fine and maybe in big area but without base is incredible.

2 hours ago, Al3x4ndr0sz said:

So on the server where i play 466 pve,its no problem when chinese put pillars everywhere in the city without any base,just blocking places,that's mean we don't have chance to build anything. This is disgusting i think,because if no base there,why should block the place? I know around the base is fine and maybe in big area but without base is incredible.

And from what I've gathered from some of the feedback here is that everyone seems ok with spamming pillars.  Even their own moderator said it's not against the rules when it clearly states it is in their code of conduct.

They are somewhat necessary to keep servers in order for veteran players, but absolutely kill the game for new players.  Back when I had a large base I had frequent issues with new players building directly next to us and on dino/resource spawns.  We started with no pillaring but ended up pillaring a few key spawns and near our base...we never pillared beyond that though.  I ended up quitting ark to play other games.  I destroyed everything and left.

I've wanted to come back a few times but I've spent several hours looking for a half way decent spot to build.  Even in non-ideal locations it's mostly pillared off.  

Archived