Change/remove Ichthyornis and Pegomastax

Ymhotep

Suggestion

These two are the WORST animals in this game. I know this game is not suposted to be easy, but a bird that steals and eats a whole stack of narcos??? It might not be much in the end game, but in the begining its a (censored) peace of (censored)!!!! Eider nerf their stealing skills to steal a 1-5 items or remove the skill or remove the animals from the game.

17 replies to this server topic

I know this is an old thread but rather than make a new topic on the issue I thought it'd be better to just respond here. As for the Pego...if nothing else is changed about it, it shouldn't be able to damage an animal it can't steal from. I've lost count of the tames I've logged on just to discover have been killed by a freaking pego that kept trying to steal from them and eventually killed them if they were left on passive. Just today I found my theri had been killed by one while I was offline. "well hur hur you shouldn't have left it on passive' you're probably snickering right now, but sometimes you have to because leaving them on neutral can get them killed. She was on passive because I had a titan stuck in my gate yesterday and I'd whistled my tames passive so they wouldn't attack the titan (and get killed like I once lost 34 neutral tames to one) while my friend came to kill it for me. losing stuff to a pego or icthy? Annoying, but part of the game. Losing tames to a stupid pego? ridiculous.

I dunno about Pego, but the Ichtyornis is RIDICULOUSLY OP. The ability to steal and destroy a stack of anything which is classed as a "consumable" is utterly absurd, as anyone who has lost a stack of kibble, or any of the other things in this category which can be incredibly time consuming to make. If anything, this mechanic should be limited only to quickslotted items or something, because right now they are a complete shambles.

It makes no sense whatsoever why an ichthy can literally eat an entire stack of narcotics, and it does not knock them out. Please fix this.

It would be nice if having a shoulder pet prevented wilds of the same type from being able to use their "specials" on you. For example, having a tamed icthyornis would make wild ones unable to steal from you if it's not on passive. Same with pegos and micros. So there's some extra benefits from having them, especially as a lower level player when you're most likely to be having problems with them.

I purposely only carry garbage in that last slot due to worry over such losses. I remember when we had two less slots on the hot bar so its not that much of an inconvience for me. They should never be able to steal anything too heavy for them to carry & if it pushes the weight limit it should slow their escape or ground them depending on the creature. None of that sprinting away over encumbered or circling overhead stealing & eating even more stuff. Damn pests should behave in a way that makes sense as far as game mechanics go. TBh I would miss them if they were gone, plus the Icthy is great help at taming hesporonis which has that gold egg for top kibble. Its outright game extinction would have ripple effects for me

On 4/25/2019 at 1:49 PM, Mossenstein said:

the pego just steals stuff, I dont mind him as much as the flying rat. If it eats a stack of rotten meat it should die....100 narco berries should pass it out. My chief problem with the Icthy is that its theft cant be recovered even after its death & it does things game mechanic wise with that consumption that just makes no sense at all. The pego, while being a regular turd at least has that theft mechanic in its taming protocol....& you or another player can always hunt it down & get the loot.

The world is full of thieves so the mechanic itself doesnt bother me in a survival game....but superpowered ones that ignore encumbrance & consume whatever they steal with no ill effect is just silly...& frustrating 

Also as suggested by mleii, an option to remove them in single player or dedicated servers on console would be great. More power to the player to make their own experience is welcomed. If you are paying for the server you should be able to set it up as you see fit, same with single player. In those cases the only experience you are altering is your own,.

To both your post. Yes, 100% with most of it. The Icthy doesn't just steal from the last slot like the pego. It takes what it wants and it usually wants all your narcotics. I carry them in split stacks just to avoid losing a stack of 100. My daughter would like a command to kill them all, all the time. She hates them also. I like them in the game but I think they should not eat what they take. I think we should not only be allowed to hunt them down (like we can) but also recover our stuff after we destroy their cold dead carcass. 

Also, I would love an option to remove any dino we don't want in the game. We would only remove this one, but the option would be nice. 

4 hours ago, margifish said:

I know this is an old thread but rather than make a new topic on the issue I thought it'd be better to just respond here. As for the Pego...if nothing else is changed about it, it shouldn't be able to damage an animal it can't steal from. I've lost count of the tames I've logged on just to discover have been killed by a freaking pego that kept trying to steal from them and eventually killed them if they were left on passive. Just today I found my theri had been killed by one while I was offline. "well hur hur you shouldn't have left it on passive' you're probably snickering right now, but sometimes you have to because leaving them on neutral can get them killed. She was on passive because I had a titan stuck in my gate yesterday and I'd whistled my tames passive so they wouldn't attack the titan (and get killed like I once lost 34 neutral tames to one) while my friend came to kill it for me. losing stuff to a pego or icthy? Annoying, but part of the game. Losing tames to a stupid pego? ridiculous.

You can put parasaurs around and set them to scare off raptors and lower dino's that attack (Dilo's, Pego's, etc.). Just make sure they have plenty of food as it does drain a bit while they are in that state. 

Can also plant, plant x. Turrets and Plant X won't attack Titanosaurs if this is in PvE

A repellent might be a good answer, make an item you can put in the 0 slot and it wards them off when they target you for attack. The berries thing requires constant replacement and it's common to get hit by 2-3 at once, so after the first one you start losing items from your inventory. 

But we need some answer, because it's currently ridiculous to be losing incredibly valuable stuff because you didn't see a bird flying up behind you.

And yes, they eat dino eggs and friggin ascendant weapons they take from your inventory DILO. That's some valuable stuff you're having taken away by a dev decision.

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Pegomastax_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sheep_Character_BP_C")

NPCReplacements=(FromClassName="Ichthyornis_Character_BP_C",ToClassName="Sheep_Character_BP_C")

I use this in the gameINI file, and I've removed all the hostiles, because I enjoy building, taming and breeding, and riding tames and exploring and harvesting, but I do not DO NOT want to lose ANYTHING.
Pegos are at the top of the list of my most hated Ark creatures. The first thing I remove from my singleplayer, they are the absolute opposite of what I want to be dealing with in any game.

Loss. I HATE loss. I am traumatized by loss. I NEVER want to lose anything.

/endrant

Unless I'm forgetting something, both animals can be thwarted simply by keeping something expendable in the "0" slot of your quick bar.

For years now, I've been keeping berries in my "0" slot, and they never steal anything from me other than those berries. The only time I ever lose anything else is if I forget to have berries in that slot.

In the very least allow players to remove specific animals from their local single player or dedicated server.  Likely doable on PC, not so much on consoles.   And obviously not doable on the Ark owned servers, well unless we can have you set up some without these creatures.  I'd also potentially add the troodon to this list of the ones I find most annoying and not all that useful, at least in my game play.  Likely these tames are useful to others.

the pego just steals stuff, I dont mind him as much as the flying rat. If it eats a stack of rotten meat it should die....100 narco berries should pass it out. My chief problem with the Icthy is that its theft cant be recovered even after its death & it does things game mechanic wise with that consumption that just makes no sense at all. The pego, while being a regular turd at least has that theft mechanic in its taming protocol....& you or another player can always hunt it down & get the loot.

The world is full of thieves so the mechanic itself doesnt bother me in a survival game....but superpowered ones that ignore encumbrance & consume whatever they steal with no ill effect is just silly...& frustrating 

Also as suggested by mleii, an option to remove them in single player or dedicated servers on console would be great. More power to the player to make their own experience is welcomed. If you are paying for the server you should be able to set it up as you see fit, same with single player. In those cases the only experience you are altering is your own,.

Archived