Dino routes

Orgalorgion

Suggestion

Ok hear me out, we already have whistle groups and a whistle to move dinos. Why not take it a step further so our tamed dinos can walk from point A to point B then to point C and back to point A. Almost as if they are patrolling a area. Some uses could be for dinos that auto harvest materials like the doed. or better yet have a pack of allos walking the  perimeter of your base to further help with your turrets. It would make offlining people just a bit harder (not much) and it would make the dinos feel more like they actually listen to the player. As it stands now they just stand still unless you let them wander but that has issues with derendered bases and clipping in and out of walls. Having routes the player can set would make it feel like you actually made the dinos trust and listen to you. A way to balance would be limiting the number of routes per tribe. Lets say 10 routes max.

11 replies to this server topic

I could see it work by having an item like some sort of flag or checkpoint you can place, then run pathing lines like cables where you want the animal to go. Then whistle/tether them onto one of the flags and they'll automatically follow the placed route in the order the points where laid down. So you have control over where they go but can also whistle them off it easily as necessary.

I guess for balanced maybe make the route require power like it's a homing beacon or something, requiring an outlet and losing the power source or any part of the run being destroyed would stop the patrolling animal. Also tie the tether distance to an animal's follow settings so you could even set, for example, wyverns on patrol routes in the air.

As an old man who used to play hours of Age of Empires, I have always wished that I could set some of my dinos on "Patrol" like you could in AoE.  Would love to see something like this implemented.

Perhaps if  a tether line was connected to a zip line. Allowing the dino to travel the length of the zip line? (but underneath it on the ground of course)

I think you could maybe have posts you set up and a wire that goes through the posts and then you can attach the leash to the wire so instead of looking like robot patrols, they can follow the line in a wandering fashion, also maybe they can just be set to wander so they are not patrolling just walking around in a specific area.

it would also be nice for a “invisible fence” where you set up a perimeter using posts and put your Dino inside and they will wander around but never try to go through the fence unless you are riding the or whistle for follow through the fence, this would be better than standard where the brontosaurus somehow goes through a half a wall gap and gets killed by some raptors because he’s on passive.

Archived