Jump to content

  • 20
Dalekqueen

Scorched Earth TLC

Jerryn

Main Post:  https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/429027-scorched-earth-tlc/&do=findComment&comment=2448558
Apologies to bigfish502...missed the date on the minor item I tried to merge in.

 

New link to merged SE Ascension suggestions:  https://survivetheark.com/index.php?/forums/topic/429135-scorched-earth-ascension-after-the-boss/

 

Message added by Jerryn

Suggestion

11 replies to this server topic

Recommended Posts

  • 3

Scorched Earth was the first DLC's to ever hit Ark but unfortunately it's also one of the least played. Between the lack of TLC for it's creatures and exclusive items as well as the lack of incentive to put up with the hardships the map throws at you, many players would rather play on Ragnarok than Scorched Earth. I'm here to suggest some potential tlc and new content (some of which is technically already in the dev files but was never fully released) for Scorched Earth that will give players more incentive to play on the map.

New Boss: "The Swarm/Hive"

This is one of those pieces of content that is technically already in the Scorched Earth Dev files, but never really made it's way into the main game. It was meant to be something comparable to the Broodmother, being able to pop out insect minions from holes in its back. We never got more than a bare-bones design for the boss and it's potential minions, so I'd like to expand upon it with some of my own ideas.

-The boss should be able to summon soldiers and jug bugs. The flying soldier bugs will attack players and their tames without mercy, inflicting stamina draining poison with their stings. The jug bugs will be oil jug bugs with a more suicidal tendency. They will pursue players and tames and blow themselves up, leaving burning oil slicks in their wake.

-The boss itself will be able to spray it's foes with acid, lowering their defenses. Any corpses it eats will also have a slight healing effect similar to that of the argentavis.

-Upon defeating the boss players will receive tek engrams for some of the basic tek structures (similar to the broodmother) as well as a few new exclusive engrams.

New Tek Engrams

For defeating this new Boss, players will receive a few new Scorched Earth exclusive tek engrams:

-Tek Wyvern Saddle (already in the dev kit)-Gives equipped wyverns a small amount of armor and like the tek tapy saddle has tek blasters that it can switch to. When a wyvern switches to firing mode a targeting reticle will appear and the wyvern will then be able to shoot energy bolts. While in firing mode wyverns can't use their breath attacks and can't sprint.

-Tek Solar Panel-Like the Windmill this structure will be able to power electronics without gasoline, but instead of wind this structure uses sunlight. While powered the tek solar panel can wirelessly power electronics similar to the tek generator, albeit with a decreased maximum range. As long as the structure is exposed to sunlight it can power any electronics even underwater.

- Tek Desintegrator-The tek equivalent of the shotgun, short ranged devastation.

Creature TLC/Fixes

-Pheonix-Major bug fixes. Weight reduction on metal ore/ingots.

-Thorny Dragon-Greatly increased torpor from spine shots.

-Morellatops- Increased water storage (perhaps have a water stat to level up). Greater gathering efficiency or weight reduction on berries, cactus sap, thatch, rare flowers/mushrooms. Filled Waterskins and Jars in a morellatop's inventory should have reduced rate of water loss.

-Lymantria-Ability to fertilize or provide some sort of boon to crops with it's spore attack. Ability to passively make silk over time. Breeding would be a major plus for this creature!

-Jerboa-should be able to properly predict weather and natural disasters on other maps such as meteor strikes on extinction.

-Mantis-Slight weight reduction on gathered materials. Weapons and tools equipped to a mantis should have decreased durability loss. Eggs should be either usable in Extraordinary kibble or in new recipes.

-Vulture-Fixes to not being able to whistle vultures onto targets. Pack or healing buffs.

-Rock elemental-25% weight reduction on stone, wood, sand, etc.

Other Fixes

-Make windmills compatible with gas generator's auto-powered settings (generators kick on when the windmill stops but don't turn off when windmill start working again).

-Reduce gas generator decay rate.

-Improve tracking missile's ability to track moving targets.

Edited by bigfish502
Removed Ascension due to intense debate detracting from post
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1
11 minutes ago, Lowly said:

The Devs didn't say this, Jeremy steiglity the then head of the company and head of game development said that, he has since left the studio and project to create grapeshot games and be the head of atlas. The rest of the team including Chris the new head of game development is under no obligation to give us a cutscene for scorched earth

 

And on another tangent, a cutscene for defeating a boss is not an ascencion cutscene.

 

And as developers of arka Nd other game developers explain on a regular basis, they say things, things are planned, then development takes an unexpected turn, maybe there's no budget, maybe there's no longer a desire from the fans for it, maybe it nolonger fits in with the vision the company has or that the fans expect from the game. There are countless reasons an announced or developer confirmed feature gets shelved or cancelled or put on a back burner. If we were to hold every studio to the word of every developer then no legacy server would ever have been shut down as they said they would never wipe a server. We would be holding class action lawsuits for our pre order bonuses being removed from Xbox players (founders hat skin, founders trophy and bionic Rex skin), and PS4 (manticore skin set) along with class action law suits because the game was due to release and scheduled for June 2016. We would also be demanding that we have a final DLC a final free mod and that every winner of ever mod contest be added to the game (as was the original plan for winners of mod contests) oh also what about the hive creature, the tomahawk, the grapple gun, the wyvern and giga Tek saddles, the Aberration furniture items, the pick hatchet and crossbow skins in the Aberration devkit files. We would all be demanding all of this because developers are not allowed to change there minds. 

I agree, however, that stuff needs to be communicated better. If a plan gets put on the back burner. then say that. They don't need to give definitives or times, just say that they are focusing on other things and they might reevaluate it in the future.

 

To be honest, Scorched does feel unfinished to a degree, and needs some more things in it. But if they haven't got plans for it, they should at least specify that so some of us aren't waiting around for it and pin it on 'broken promises'

 

That being said, Devs are being a lot more open lately which is great to see. Especially Ced. Really good stuff. Been a long journey but Ark is going to start getting a lot better.


The solar panels sound awesome though!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 hour ago, Lowly said:

Didn't see anything about ascencion in your post but there is already a post here about scorched earth ascencion

 

Accidentally posted prematurely, but yes there is a quick reference to JordansARK's point on giving us an Ascension cutscene on Scorched Earth. I agree with him that the Ark Devs should give us a cinematic for scorched earth.

Edited by bigfish502

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
7 minutes ago, bigfish502 said:

Accidentally posted prematurely, but yes there is a quick reference to JordansARK's point on giving us an Ascension cutscene on Scorched Earth. I agree with him that the Ark Devs have owed that to us for a long time.

Dio they owe us though? And did they promise an Ascension cutscene or just a boss completion cutscene

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 minutes ago, Lowly said:

Dio they owe us though? And did they promise an Ascension cutscene or just a boss completion cutscene

The devs did say that they had plans for ascension cinematic for Scorched Earth similar to what they had for Aberration (meaning a cinematic triggered after you beat the manticore) but like many things it was put on the back burner. If you believe in the devs doing what they say they're going to do rather than it just be wishful thinking then in that respect they owe it their player base to be more transparent and only say they're going to do something if they really mean it.

Edited by bigfish502

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
10 minutes ago, bigfish502 said:

The devs did say that they had plans for ascension cinematic for Scorched Earth similar to what they had for Aberration (meaning a cinematic triggered after you beat the manticore) but like many things it was put on the back burner. If you believe in the devs doing what they say they're going to do rather than it just be wishful thinking then in that respect they owe it their player base to be more transparent and only say they're going to do something if they really mean it.

The Devs didn't say this, Jeremy steiglity the then head of the company and head of game development said that, he has since left the studio and project to create grapeshot games and be the head of atlas. The rest of the team including Chris the new head of game development is under no obligation to give us a cutscene for scorched earth

 

And on another tangent, a cutscene for defeating a boss is not an ascencion cutscene.

 

And as developers of arka Nd other game developers explain on a regular basis, they say things, things are planned, then development takes an unexpected turn, maybe there's no budget, maybe there's no longer a desire from the fans for it, maybe it nolonger fits in with the vision the company has or that the fans expect from the game. There are countless reasons an announced or developer confirmed feature gets shelved or cancelled or put on a back burner. If we were to hold every studio to the word of every developer then no legacy server would ever have been shut down as they said they would never wipe a server. We would be holding class action lawsuits for our pre order bonuses being removed from Xbox players (founders hat skin, founders trophy and bionic Rex skin), and PS4 (manticore skin set) along with class action law suits because the game was due to release and scheduled for June 2016. We would also be demanding that we have a final DLC a final free mod and that every winner of ever mod contest be added to the game (as was the original plan for winners of mod contests) oh also what about the hive creature, the tomahawk, the grapple gun, the wyvern and giga Tek saddles, the Aberration furniture items, the pick hatchet and crossbow skins in the Aberration devkit files. We would all be demanding all of this because developers are not allowed to change there minds. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, JameyRM said:

I agree, however, that stuff needs to be communicated better. If a plan gets put on the back burner. then say that. They don't need to give definitives or times, just say that they are focusing on other things and they might reevaluate it in the future.

 

To be honest, Scorched does feel unfinished to a degree, and needs some more things in it. But if they haven't got plans for it, they should at least specify that so some of us aren't waiting around for it and pin it on 'broken promises'

 

That being said, Devs are being a lot more open lately which is great to see. Especially Ced. Really good stuff. Been a long journey but Ark is going to start getting a lot better.


The solar panels sound awesome though!

They have been more open, ced is doing great work. They also have stated on atleast 2 occasions they have no further plans at this time for scorched earth but where do they put this info? Where does it have to go to get the most outreach? Start menu screen? Community crunch? Twitter? Forum wide splash screen?

Imagine how annoying that's be every time they but something on the back burner, something that Jeremy commited to in an ark digest over the past 3 years, anything that Jen or ced had said was being planned on Twitter or chrisw on Reddit, are we expecting all of them to be in constant communication every time one of them says something is being planned so they can have a huge white board with what was announced or hinted or agreed and then make full global announcements when plans change? That seems like that is the job of 3 people right there to keep on track of wants in progress and what's on hold and what's coming soon

It sounds like a logical nightmare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Just now, Lowly said:

They have been more open, ced is doing great work. They also have stated on atleast 2 occasions they have no further plans at this time for scorched earth but where do they put this info? Where does it have to go to get the most outreach? Start menu screen? Community crunch? Twitter? Forum wide splash screen?

Imagine how annoying that's be every time they but something on the back burner, something that Jeremy commited to in an ark digest over the past 3 years, anything that Jen or ced had said was being planned on Twitter or chrisw on Reddit, are we expecting all of them to be in constant communication every time one of them says something is being planned so they can have a huge white board with what was announced or hinted or agreed and then make full global announcements when plans change? That seems like that is the job of 3 people right there to keep on track of wants in progress and what's on hold and what's coming soon

It sounds like a logical nightmare

Actually, enterprises do this all the time, through apps like LiquidPlanner, Trello etc. It's roadmapping and project planning/management. It's literally management 101. They could have a place where they consolidate all these 'plans' and we can track their progress, as it will double as KPI/project completions for them as well. I work IT in a large company, and DevOps live in LiquidPlanner. Not saying that Game Development is 100% like that, but at the same time, it would certainly reduce workload and increase both productivity and transparency long term. Easier for them to communicate to us and show progress, and link back to the planner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 minutes ago, JameyRM said:

Actually, enterprises do this all the time, through apps like LiquidPlanner, Trello etc. It's roadmapping and project planning/management. It's literally management 101. They could have a place where they consolidate all these 'plans' and we can track their progress, as it will double as KPI/project completions for them as well. I work IT in a large company, and DevOps live in LiquidPlanner. Not saying that Game Development is 100% like that, but at the same time, it would certainly reduce workload and increase both productivity and transparency long term. Easier for them to communicate to us and show progress, and link back to the planner.

I understand, a lot of game development seems to be having an idea, developing the idea, seeing how it fits into the product vision, then amending or scraping the idea depending on if it works or not. Total transparency could breed a lot of discontent with the player base as they see features arise that some may want, that after 3 months of development get scraped,. This could create outcry and ever growing numbers of people to stop playing which is why the development team usually share little of what is currently happening until a product is over and the player base has accepted a new product.

This is my experience from.spemdomg large amounts of time from studying my favourite development studios and having friends inside those companies explaining Dev processes and some of the inner workings, so it could all be wrong or biased

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
4 hours ago, Lowly said:

They have been more open, ced is doing great work. They also have stated on atleast 2 occasions they have no further plans at this time for scorched earth but where do they put this info? Where does it have to go to get the most outreach? Start menu screen? Community crunch? Twitter? Forum wide splash screen?

Imagine how annoying that's be every time they but something on the back burner, something that Jeremy commited to in an ark digest over the past 3 years, anything that Jen or ced had said was being planned on Twitter or chrisw on Reddit, are we expecting all of them to be in constant communication every time one of them says something is being planned so they can have a huge white board with what was announced or hinted or agreed and then make full global announcements when plans change? That seems like that is the job of 3 people right there to keep on track of wants in progress and what's on hold and what's coming soon

It sounds like a logical nightmare

If they aren't going to actually work on what they say is planned, maybe they shouldn't be telling the community about it until they know for sure if it actually will be made or not. Just saying.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this suggestion...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...