Add NPCs to ARK

NnjaChicken

Suggestion

12 replies to this server topic

I feel like ark is one of the bet games out there. But I ONLY play songleplayer/split screen. I would love to see some NPCs. Running around, but I don't think they should have guns and such. I feel like they should all stay primitive. Maybe even have a few primitive items you can only get from them or something. 

This isn't the first time this has been suggested, nor will it be the last most likely.

And it is a well known fact that there are those for the idea and those that are against it.

Which is why as long as it is an OPTION for unofficial servers, I will upvote it. 

And yes, there are mods for it - which is one reason to prove there is a group out there who like the idea enough to actually take the steps in creating it. However as a console player I do not have access to it and honestly, would love to have it.

It wouldn't have to be overly complex. Just build them as the creatures. Below is how I imagine it working out...

-They could be found running around the map as individuals or groups that find each other. 

-They could be passively "tamed" or befriended with food, clothing, and basic tools. 

-They could be set to follow a creature or yourself and set to harvest within the radius.

-Given tools they could increase the amount harvested.

-They could be leveled just like creatures to have additional melee, health, weight, etc...

-They could be set to sleep if provide a bed (it could be named for the character) or the bed set to a sleep time (in game hours) if you rather them not be out during the day. 

-No breeding.

- They would all have a chance to be leveled up to the in-game maximum (some unofficial servers have higher character levels set) and depending on the level they are found in the wild would tell you how many points they would have waiting to be applied.

-Those in harder spawn areas would be of higher level and harder to befriend, but would have more points to apply once befriended. 

-no crypoding, but they could be set to ride a following creature that would act however you have it set.

-Behavior settings would be identical to that of the creatures. If they gave a weapon, they could use it or would default to the tool provided if on neutral or attack target.

3 hours ago, NnjaChicken said:

Let's face it, PVP is not for everyone. NPCs would give incentive to build like you would in PVP but not require the same insane time commitments. 

To give more details on this idea I would like to suggest adding NPCs that are either solo and/or NPCs that are in tribes and they're level of hostility is based off your actions.

For instance, a NPC tribe (an eco friendly tribe) in the Red Woods on the Island map are curious but friendly people unless you start being destructive (chopping down trees, aggroing their names) in the vicinity of one of their members.

Or make some NPCs naturally hostile as their self preservation has taken over and they mean to do whatever means necessary to survive on the ark.

For example, a NPC alliance that lives in a tell habitat under water would try to kill you and any underwater mount of yours as they chose this lifestyle to avoid the dangers that dwell on the surface above, and view any survivor as a threat to their existence.

In addition to this, to make it even more challenging to survive in singleplayer, NPC tribes have the ability to do Tribe wars. Well how would you know if an NPC tribe has launched a Tribe war against you? Simple! Listen for the sounds of war drums being played on the back of brontos as they March their way towards your base. Would all NPC tribe wars be the same difficulty? Of course not! NPC tribe wars would become boring after you've survived through the first 5, and become annoying. Instead, make NPC tribe wars difficulty scale based off the level of the single player survivor or the advancement of the NPC tribe.

For instance, if you're to scale off survivor level then a NPC tribe wars at level 50 would be much harder to defend against than a Tribe War with a level 5 survivor as the tames of the NPC tribe would be of a higher level and better bred for war.

If you're to scale off advancement of NPC tribe then things would be different and more random. What do I mean by this? Well, let's just say you'd be better defending against a Tribe War with a beach front NPC alliance with bows and clubs, than you would be in a Tribe war with a NPC alliance who live in underwater tell habitats that have a Plesiosaur with tell turrets on its back.

Lastly, for survivors who want to continue playing without NPCs. Put a toggle true or false option in the game menu for players to select before loading up their saved game or before they start anew.

I'm not sure if this what you mean but it's the first idea that comes to mind when I think of NPC tribes in Ark.

Speaking with the utmost respect,  as someone that played over a year as offline solo before I touched MP....hell noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

This is at its core a challenging survival game, not Sid Meier's Civilisation. As a survival game it feels infinitely more authentic being dropped in a barren wasteland and being left to fend for yourself. I don't want to have fake tribes left right and center that ruin the experience because they interact with you like, well, NPCs. 

Appreciate not everyone likes PvP OP, but isn't that why we have PvE only servers...? You can join that and typically PvE only servers are much, much lower on toxicity while giving a more realistic experience. 

Seriously guys if you are going to push groups of fake, non-immersive characters into the game it's gotta be optional because I don't want fake tribes to take cover under at level 1 and I don't want some neanderthals around a campfire like an exhibition when I am level 80.

Let them work out how to make dinos behave and we can start working on humans aye? ;)

EDIT: the incentive to build is not a product of people to build them with, it's having something to do with it. Why did I only build one mega-super-death-moving-base-bronto-with-ballistae-etc. in my solo play? Because once I built one I realised there was almost nothing relevant to do with it. That's not something for fighting bosses, but there's nothing on the island itself to justify an insane amount of armaments outside of PvP (and even then you want a more streamlined approach, an over-the-top platform bronto is just asking to be felled). Give me some areas of the map where I'm likely to see lots of high level, powerful, unique dinos or whatever and we're talking.

Archived