Dedicated slot for gas in items like Cooker, Grill, Forge, Chem bench

Aushegun

Suggestion

PS4 console user

I would like to see a special slot added to all items that use gas for power. You put the gas in there, but it stays put, like a dino's saddle when you do a transfer all.

So let's say you load up your Indy Grill with meat. You place in units of gas as well, and start cooking.  Minutes later, you access the grill, and hit transfer all into your character. The cooked meat transfers back to you, but the gas stays with the Grill in it's special slot. The only way to remove the gas, would be to specifically select it, just like when removing a saddle from a dino.

50 replies to this server topic

On 4/25/2019 at 6:58 AM, Dasham86 said:

Or.  Something else you could do.  Which I do.  Transfer all to my inventory.  Then transfer all back.  It will take the fuel when you do that.  And the raw meat.  Doing this also clears the spoiled out of the grill.

I momst of the time have chainsaw and need some gas dosnt work for me XD Slot would be nice not a Workaround

10 hours ago, Dasham86 said:

Or.  Something else you could do.  Which I do.  Transfer all to my inventory.  Then transfer all back.  It will take the fuel when you do that.  And the raw meat.  Doing this also clears the spoiled out of the grill.

This works, unless you have more slots of meat in your inventory than the grill holds, and so often I have to then remove a meat from the grill, to then specifically add in the gas. (this often happens when I have a ton of Prime I am trying to cook after killing an alpha for example.)

On 4/25/2019 at 1:23 AM, Aushegun said:

PS4 console user

I would like to see a special slot added to all items that use gas for power. You put the gas in there, but it stays put, like a dino's saddle when you do a transfer all.

So let's say you load up your Indy Grill with meat. You place in units of gas as well, and start cooking.  Minutes later, you access the grill, and hit transfer all into your character. The cooked meat transfers back to you, but the gas stays with the Grill in it's special slot. The only way to remove the gas, would be to specifically select it, just like when removing a saddle from a dino.

youre so right and not just for ps4 but for all cause i always end up wasting a lot of gas because i just dump all i have in it

As a temporary workaround, you can create a folder for gas and drop a stack in it. Then when you take all, you don't pull the gas out.

I say temporary because of a bug with folders. Whenever the server restarts, it messes up the folder associations so that 'take all' works as if nothing is in a folder.

4 hours ago, StiTched said:

Actually, not a fan of this.

I really appreciate that Ark has a simple interface.  I like that what you use in which items is not pointed out for you at every step, I like that every time I open an interface I DON'T have neon arrows telling me to put x item in y dedicated slot(s) to create z item with slots of different types everywhere for everything.

Remember this is a survival game; the simplistic interface can really add to that. It also keeps it flexible for recipes where the standard fuel/ingredients mixture doesn't happen. Sometimes I don't want just one item for fuel; I see it being mentioned across all items (which you would kinda have to for consistency) but I'll be super angry at y'all if I have to set up 3 campfires to burn 3 stacks of wood down to charcoal over time because only one slot is for wood now.

I can see where you are coming from, but I really don't think it's an "issue" :)

I don't think that the point behind the suggestion was to tell you where to put things when.

Especially not in items like a campfire. But instead for items like the industrial forge where you get 60 line items. 59 to use and 1 for the power source (gasoline in this case).  You could have one line item that you could lock gasoline into and 60 items to fill to be cooked down with whatever it is you are looking to make. 

To make it easy to see, you could place it in the center menu as they do with creature saddles and costumes. 

The ease of this would make it a quick process to transfer all in or out without taking the power source with the ingredients. Just as you do with a creature inventory. Everything goes with it excluding the saddle. 

The way I see it, this would only work for items that had a specific power source requirements; such as the Industrial Forge, Chemistry Bench, Industrial Cooker, Industrial Grill, and such. Essential giving Gasoline a dedicated slot from those that play the standard version of the game. For those items that need both power and gas, you could have two, one for Gasoline and one for a Charge Battery if that is how you choose to power the device. It wouldn't be required however, as you could connect an electric generator or tek generator. 

Now would this all be required? Absolutely not. We can play without it and have been for some time now.

However, as a quality of life scenario, I am still going to be voting for it and hoping it someday comes to the game.  

Actually, not a fan of this.

I really appreciate that Ark has a simple interface.  I like that what you use in which items is not pointed out for you at every step, I like that every time I open an interface I DON'T have neon arrows telling me to put x item in y dedicated slot(s) to create z item with slots of different types everywhere for everything.

Remember this is a survival game; the simplistic interface can really add to that. It also keeps it flexible for recipes where the standard fuel/ingredients mixture doesn't happen. Sometimes I don't want just one item for fuel; I see it being mentioned across all items (which you would kinda have to for consistency) but I'll be super angry at y'all if I have to set up 3 campfires to burn 3 stacks of wood down to charcoal over time because only one slot is for wood now.

I can see where you are coming from, but I really don't think it's an "issue" :)

9 hours ago, Aushegun said:

PS4 console user

the fuel & the crafting slots should just be seperated!

that would mean fabricators, chembench, campfires, forge (&whatever i forgot) should have a fuel slot(whatever you put in there burns) and the normal inventory we already have now should only be craftable/crafted stuff (and not be able to be used as fuel atall)

a single slot for fuel should easily be enough!

On 4/25/2019 at 12:53 AM, Aushegun said:

PS4 console user

So let's say you load up your Indy Grill with meat. You place in units of gas as well, and start cooking.  Minutes later, you access the grill, and hit transfer all into your character. The cooked meat transfers back to you by hoodies at fortnite merch, but the gas stays with the Grill in it's special slot. The only way to remove the gas, would be to specifically select it, just like when removing a saddle from a dino.

Really good simple idea that would help a lot.

4 hours ago, SapphireSam7 said:

I don't think that the point behind the suggestion was to tell you where to put things when.

Especially not in items like a campfire. But instead for items like the industrial forge where you get 60 line items. 59 to use and 1 for the power source (gasoline in this case).  You could have one line item that you could lock gasoline into and 60 items to fill to be cooked down with whatever it is you are looking to make. 

To make it easy to see, you could place it in the center menu as they do with creature saddles and costumes. 

The ease of this would make it a quick process to transfer all in or out without taking the power source with the ingredients. Just as you do with a creature inventory. Everything goes with it excluding the saddle. 

The way I see it, this would only work for items that had a specific power source requirements; such as the Industrial Forge, Chemistry Bench, Industrial Cooker, Industrial Grill, and such. Essential giving Gasoline a dedicated slot from those that play the standard version of the game. For those items that need both power and gas, you could have two, one for Gasoline and one for a Charge Battery if that is how you choose to power the device. It wouldn't be required however, as you could connect an electric generator or tek generator. 

Now would this all be required? Absolutely not. We can play without it and have been for some time now.

However, as a quality of life scenario, I am still going to be voting for it and hoping it someday comes to the game.  

Thankyou for the reasoned response.

I understand the premise of the OP, don't worry :) I'm not vehemently against it, I just don't think it has particularly many benefits. It takes me, what...a couple of seconds to transfer fuel either way, three or four if I have to scroll?

Come to think of it I'd probably spend just as much time dragging the fuel to the dedicated slot because I can't just hit the transfer button on it. And I am often super lazy and multiple stacks of gasoline/wood in my cookers and forges.

I can think of many ways to save a couple of seconds in the game, and I personally wouldn't start here.  I'd probably start at AI pathing and save myself hours of digging my tames out from rocks and trees. I also think there's such thing as too many "QoL" improvements if they aren't moderated, and you get what I describe where everything has a dedicated slot and label and tells you what to do...then again I'm a glutton for doing things the hard way. But aren't we all if we play this game?

Note: I have just found out my favourite smiley gets transformed into some weird emote on this forum, so...won't be using that.

Archived