Forum Mod to merge duplicate suggestions

Aylana314159

My suggestion for moderation for duplicate threads would be to use the report button and cite the original thread.

The asking of moderators to do this automatically for you is a bit of a big stretch, as it requires prior knowledge of existing suggestion thread ideas; to collate a library of threads and their ideas so as to be able to accurately assess and move any duplicate ideas into a merged thread.

While not being paid.

Uh?

5 minutes ago, Sphere said:

My suggestion for moderation for duplicate threads would be to use the report button and cite the original thread.

The asking of moderators to do this automatically for you is a bit of a big stretch, as it requires prior knowledge of existing suggestion thread ideas; to collate a library of threads and their ideas so as to be able to accurately assess and move any duplicate ideas into a merged thread.

While not being paid.

Uh?

Not sure why there is an uh? At the end of that, I think this forum subsection is a brilliant idea and I'd happily sit on here and moderate this section while playing ark or sitting on my balcony in the sun

Just now, Lowly said:

Not sure why there is an uh? At the end of that, I think this forum subsection is a brilliant idea and I'd happily sit on here and moderate this section while playing ark or sitting on my balcony in the sun

I am going to have to sit down and build a table of ideas with links to primary suggestion threads.

How big would the table be tho?

What is the cut for differing of ideas?

Would I only do this for the primary duplicate ideas that keep reoccurring?

Would there be any value to merging if it's a duplicate thread? Why not lock/hide?

Just now, Sphere said:

I am going to have to sit down and build a table of ideas with links to primary suggestion threads.

How big would the table be tho?

What is the cut for differing of ideas?

Would I only do this for the primary duplicate ideas that keep reoccurring?

Would there be any value to merging if it's a duplicate thread? Why not lock/hide?

Merging is better then locking or hiding as locking and or hiding takes up file space on the server adding to increased data on the server and in time a more cluttered server that takes longer to debug and update and reload when it crashes.

Who said you needed to make a table?

Idea that are primarily the same but with some variations should be merged as there is the upvoting best answer option. And that covers variations on a theme, like all the crops posts, some are just about mushrooms some about rare flowers, if to many for into one theme then nobody is stoping you making an over arching thread subject and setting your post date before all of theres so yours becomes the first post them merging all there's  into yours. Do you personally want to do that, probably not but there are people that would be happy to

12 minutes ago, Lowly said:

Who said you needed to make a table?

Let me ask you this question. When you need to remember something important for later, how do you go about remembering this? Say it's an address, what do you do with it? Not everybody has a photographic memory, and I doubt somebody is going to remember a URL address. So I said I would need to make a table, because that table would contain data containing idea headers, and links to primary supported threads to be merged. And building this table will take time.

To what extent does that variation go before it becomes a unique thread? Take for example clothing design. There is no real correct answer on what is good design for clothing. At some point you are going to divide it into age, sex, height, culture, practical or impractical usage, application. There are variations on a suggestion that makes it no longer simply a clothing suggestion.

One problem I do have with the suggestion section is the statements of "please implement this idea" without actually listing the important details that would be required to even formulate the idea into a tangible substance that could be implemented. Sometimes the idea is simple enough where you don't need to elaborate. But there is always dirt in the detail. How you implement a simple idea can have dramatic consequences. For example, we all can get behind the idea of teaching people not to murder. However, how? Last time I checked, people still do it even though people know not to do so. Some people enjoy it. Some people may find that they are being targeted unfairly based upon race, culture, gender, wealth, status. Some people have tried to claim the answer to the question is to ban computer games, even though violence has existed before computer games have existed, and multiple scientific papers have shown that violent computers games does not mean violent actions in the real world. I think you get the analogy. There is always dirt in the detail. This lack of dirt is the primary reason for why the suggestion forum is more like sorting through landfill to find gold.

2 minutes ago, Sphere said:

Let me ask you this question. When you need to remember something important for later, how do you go about remembering this? Say it's an address, what do you do with it? Not everybody has a photographic memory, and I doubt somebody is going to remember a URL address. So I said I would need to make a table, because that table would contain data containing idea headers, and links to primary supported threads to be merged. And building this table will take time.

To what extent does that variation go before it becomes a unique thread? Take for example clothing design. There is no real correct answer on what is good design for clothing. At some point you are going to divide it into age, sex, height, culture, practical or impractical usage, application. There are variations on a suggestion that makes it no longer simply a clothing suggestion.

One problem I do have with the suggestion section is the statements of "please implement this idea" without actually listing the important details that would be required to even formulate the idea into a tangible substance that could be implemented. Sometimes the idea is simple enough where you don't need to elaborate. But there is always dirt in the detail. How you implement a simple idea can have dramatic consequences. For example, we all can get behind the idea of teaching people not to murder. However, how? Last time I checked, people still do it even though people know not to do so. Some people enjoy it. Some people may find that they are being targeted unfairly based upon race, culture, gender, wealth, status. I think you get the analogy. There is always dirt in the detail. This lack of dirt is the primary reason for why the suggestion forum is more like sorting through landfill to find gold.

I see what you are talking about, 

Initially things can be sorted into large categories though, like refine this or expand that or add more of those.

And I see what you meant by table, usually my memory gets by fine with links of keywords I wouldn't remember a full URL but a person's name who was OP or the main theme of the title, this enables the ability to search for the correct thing, I understand it's not the most efficient form of look up table or index file

You lost me on your analogy about murder, even though people are taught it doesn't mean they obey

• Wildcard Community

Agree with both sides above.  With that said, I'll do my best to try and keep it clean but some of it is also on the community.  Doing a quick search before submitting a suggestion and upvoting the one that's similar to yours.  Even so as @Spherepointed out, it's not an easy thing to stay on top of.  I'll do my best though!

4 minutes ago, Lowly said:

You lost me on your analogy about murder, even though people are taught it doesn't mean they obey

Yeah I edited to update.
I added this.

Some people have tried to claim the answer to the question is to ban computer games, even though violence has existed before computer games have existed, and multiple scientific papers have shown that violent computers games does not mean violent actions in the real world.

6 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

A lot of suggestions are being made by new users who don't know how to search.

I have been a moderator on several message boards and forums, and new people almost never search. Why put in the effort when somebody else can do it for you? I'm not even kidding. A Google search and a few buttons presses away from an answer, and posts the same question.

At least it seems like almost all new people. To be honest, who knows the ratio of new people who actually do and those who don't?

Archived