New Dinosaurs/TLC but refreshed every few months

LoadedCrysis

Suggestion

Hi LoadedCrysis here,

Who remembers the days of early access? When we would get New Dinosaurs on the PC and Console every single month?

Well I have thought of a really awesome idea that would defiantly be one step to growing Ark even more and bringing fresh content constantly to the game.

So I believe there is already a lot of Dinosaurs in Ark survival evolved, which is great, but i think there are a lot of dinos that are not used that much anymore or are just a bit boring, especially if your someone like me who has played the game for over 3 years. It would be fantastic to see some new Dinos, but If its not possible just to keep adding new dinos on top of the old ones (maybe due to memory issues or something) then why not vault some of the less popular ones and bring in fresh new dinosaurs to take there place, similar to how fortnite vaults old guns and bring in new ones. I just feel like the game needs something new every month or so and something that gets us survivors excited because change can always great. On top of this us survivors can always look forward to other bigger projects you guys work on, such as new maps, DLC's or new fun game modes but enjoy the smaller changes in the meantime.

If New Dinos couldn't work, then maybe a TLC until all the Dinosaurs are fully up to date?

Let me know what you guys think, Thanks for the chance to let us share our suggestions,

LoadedCrysis

Edited by LoadedCrysis
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

94 replies to this server topic

There are some problems I see here.

The reason because we got new dinos every month was that the game was still in development and that there were many, many dinosaurs which existed at one point in time but weren't in the game yet. Well now most of them are in the game among other fantasy creatures. And I would like to keep the prehistoric feeling to it.

The "vaulting" is also kind of problematic since I've seen people breeding all kinds of dinos which don't really have a meta purpose just because those are their favorite species.

Also keep in mind that Ark is a full price game that doesn't financiate itself through microtransactions. It's from a marketing point of view an already finished game and those usually have only minor content patches or chargeable DLC's.

The imagination of cool, new and useful dinos every month seems therefore kind of unrealistic to me 

• Thanks 1

This idea sounds really bad. This is how you tick off the players that collect dinos for fun in the game. If you switched out old dinos for new ones, and players were breeding the ones that got taken away, they would be TICKED OFF if they lost them. This concept works for games like Fortnite because you only have the same guns for ONE session, and in the next you start from scratch again. That isn't the case on Ark.

I am in favor of more TLC patches for dinos. We definitely don't need that many new dinos in the game, since many that we have now are useless because there is too much variety.

• Like 1

Vaulting old creatures is a horrible idea. They just need updating, that's very important, but even if they don't have a use in PVP or even much in PVE, that doesn't mean that they don't deserve their place in the game, they will always have fans and cutting them is just ridiculous. TLC phases are good and maybe something like a new dino per "season" or something, 4-6 or so NEW CREATURES a year would be more than exciting enough.

• Like 2

Don't support the vaulting idea, but continual TLC for dinos is a full YES.

But, in somewhat of a different TLC way. The biggest reason old dinos are old is that dino abilities were developed in conjunction with new dinos. Ark's development was all about the new dino on the block, so of course the others got left behind.

But it's completely possible to backport appropriate abilities to older dinos, and I think that should be the focus of the next TLC efforts. Instead of trying to make an older dino the new hotness, build the fundamental fun factor of the game by increasing player access to special abilities through older dino TLCs. Pick a special ability, identify the dinos you'd reasonably expect to be able to do it, and apply it everywhere feasible. 

For examples of increasing fun directly by this concept, who does NOT want to see predators able to pick up smaller prey in their mouths a la Megalosaurus? That's a great example of something you'd reasonably expect all predators to be able to do, but it was only built as a "special ability" of the Megalosaurus. So it's a perfect candidate for this kind of TLC. Top candidates - every therapod predator, all large ocean predators (and every predator with respect to dodos. Dodo life sucks lol.)

For an example of removing pain and frustration, the Morellatops gets a trotting movement which helps it get around at a reasonable speed. You could remove a significant amount of the "not-fun" feeling of the PVE gameplay by backporting this ability to every slow dino as their "sprint" (and probably lowering the stam drain a bit). This would help everyone get slow dinos around the map just a bit faster, easing the annoyance and boredom of using those dinos. (Plus it would make the sprinting a lot better looking. Just saying that increasing the walk speed doesn't really look like running yo.) For bonus realism, you could make this only work well on level ground, and keep the current sprinting movement for up slopes. 
 Top candidates would be harvesters like the anky, doed, casto and stego, early haulers like the paracer and early combat tames like the trike.

I think this model for TLC will upgrade the general variety and fun of the game a lot. And you've already got all of the assets in hand, so there's that.

TL;DR don't TLC individual dinos to try to make the new hotness anymore. Instead, take the abilities developed for new dinos in the past and use them to upgrade as many of the older dinos as you can. This will make older dinos more fun to use, raising the gameplay variety and fun factor across big sections of the game quickly.

Edited by Milsurp

See now I kinda envision this like how Fortnite does its content releases. We get like four TLCed dinos and one or two entirely new creatures every "season" as opposed to every month. That way old stuff keeps being updated, but those who already have those dinos have other things to look forward to, but it isn't too fast for the development and balance side of things. 

• Like 1

On 4/24/2019 at 9:56 AM, Andrewrayven said:

I have been thinking about the point raised a couple responses above mine. I believe ark should implement microtransactions. Skins, decorative items and the like would be a great way to ensure funding for new DLC's and hardware upgrades on the server side. 

And for your info if you want micro transactions play mobile they have an entire store