New Dinosaurs/TLC but refreshed every few months

LoadedCrysis

Suggestion

Hi LoadedCrysis here,

Who remembers the days of early access? When we would get New Dinosaurs on the PC and Console every single month?

Well I have thought of a really awesome idea that would defiantly be one step to growing Ark even more and bringing fresh content constantly to the game.

So I believe there is already a lot of Dinosaurs in Ark survival evolved, which is great, but i think there are a lot of dinos that are not used that much anymore or are just a bit boring, especially if your someone like me who has played the game for over 3 years. It would be fantastic to see some new Dinos, but If its not possible just to keep adding new dinos on top of the old ones (maybe due to memory issues or something) then why not vault some of the less popular ones and bring in fresh new dinosaurs to take there place, similar to how fortnite vaults old guns and bring in new ones. I just feel like the game needs something new every month or so and something that gets us survivors excited because change can always great. On top of this us survivors can always look forward to other bigger projects you guys work on, such as new maps, DLC's or new fun game modes but enjoy the smaller changes in the meantime.

If New Dinos couldn't work, then maybe a TLC until all the Dinosaurs are fully up to date?

Let me know what you guys think, Thanks for the chance to let us share our suggestions,

LoadedCrysis

Edited by LoadedCrysis
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

94 replies to this server topic

Don't support the vaulting idea, but continual TLC for dinos is a full YES.

But, in somewhat of a different TLC way. The biggest reason old dinos are old is that dino abilities were developed in conjunction with new dinos. Ark's development was all about the new dino on the block, so of course the others got left behind.

But it's completely possible to backport appropriate abilities to older dinos, and I think that should be the focus of the next TLC efforts. Instead of trying to make an older dino the new hotness, build the fundamental fun factor of the game by increasing player access to special abilities through older dino TLCs. Pick a special ability, identify the dinos you'd reasonably expect to be able to do it, and apply it everywhere feasible. 

For examples of increasing fun directly by this concept, who does NOT want to see predators able to pick up smaller prey in their mouths a la Megalosaurus? That's a great example of something you'd reasonably expect all predators to be able to do, but it was only built as a "special ability" of the Megalosaurus. So it's a perfect candidate for this kind of TLC. Top candidates - every therapod predator, all large ocean predators (and every predator with respect to dodos. Dodo life sucks lol.)

For an example of removing pain and frustration, the Morellatops gets a trotting movement which helps it get around at a reasonable speed. You could remove a significant amount of the "not-fun" feeling of the PVE gameplay by backporting this ability to every slow dino as their "sprint" (and probably lowering the stam drain a bit). This would help everyone get slow dinos around the map just a bit faster, easing the annoyance and boredom of using those dinos. (Plus it would make the sprinting a lot better looking. Just saying that increasing the walk speed doesn't really look like running yo.) For bonus realism, you could make this only work well on level ground, and keep the current sprinting movement for up slopes. 
 Top candidates would be harvesters like the anky, doed, casto and stego, early haulers like the paracer and early combat tames like the trike.

I think this model for TLC will upgrade the general variety and fun of the game a lot. And you've already got all of the assets in hand, so there's that.

TL;DR don't TLC individual dinos to try to make the new hotness anymore. Instead, take the abilities developed for new dinos in the past and use them to upgrade as many of the older dinos as you can. This will make older dinos more fun to use, raising the gameplay variety and fun factor across big sections of the game quickly.

Edited by Milsurp

There are some problems I see here.

The reason because we got new dinos every month was that the game was still in development and that there were many, many dinosaurs which existed at one point in time but weren't in the game yet. Well now most of them are in the game among other fantasy creatures. And I would like to keep the prehistoric feeling to it.

The "vaulting" is also kind of problematic since I've seen people breeding all kinds of dinos which don't really have a meta purpose just because those are their favorite species.

Also keep in mind that Ark is a full price game that doesn't financiate itself through microtransactions. It's from a marketing point of view an already finished game and those usually have only minor content patches or chargeable DLC's.

The imagination of cool, new and useful dinos every month seems therefore kind of unrealistic to me 

• Thanks 1

This idea sounds really bad. This is how you tick off the players that collect dinos for fun in the game. If you switched out old dinos for new ones, and players were breeding the ones that got taken away, they would be TICKED OFF if they lost them. This concept works for games like Fortnite because you only have the same guns for ONE session, and in the next you start from scratch again. That isn't the case on Ark.

I am in favor of more TLC patches for dinos. We definitely don't need that many new dinos in the game, since many that we have now are useless because there is too much variety.

• Like 1

Hey,

New creatures wouldn'T be a good idea. In the moment we have a lot of creatures with no real use while they outclassed by others. I think TLC's are a way better. Just think of the Bronto, Carno, female Megaloceros, Ichtyosaurus, Megalodon, Spider, Bat etc ... on one hand cool creatures, on the other hand not even useful to play with (the Bronto animation needs really an upgrade).

Yes new dinos every month or a new TLC every few months would be great but personally I think instead of new dinos every month just make the ones we currently have better take the lightning Wyvern for example to use the lightning attack you don't know where to aim so crosshairs would be awesome there are a few others that could do with a bit of work that's Frank

2 hours ago, Frank86 said:

Yes new dinos every month or a new TLC every few months would be great but personally I think instead of new dinos every month just make the ones we currently have better take the lightning Wyvern for example to use the lightning attack you don't know where to aim so crosshairs would be awesome there are a few others that could do with a bit of work that's Frank

That is excactly what a TLC is. 

I'd be willing to buy a new season pass if it guaranteed me a new creature every month or so, for instance. Well obviously the right balance would have to be found between the number of creatures, the pace of the releases (...and we know WildCard's track record on that), and the work required to make those new creatures, but I think it's an option that should be out there since we're talking about money. It seems more reliable that microtransactions, too.
(now I'm curious : how does it work on mobile when people loot your stuff but some of it comes from microtransactions ?)

The imagination of cool, new and useful dinos every month seems therefore kind of unrealistic to m

Yes, but also not entirely. So many things are still possible, and looking at the creature mods, you can see that some of them are really creative not only in terms of appearances, but abilities too. Adding creatures to the game again would probably mean that some mod devs could get their equivalent of the Homestead update (only... stop trying to nerf mods we love and use as is, please, WildCard). Let those mod sponsorships bear fruits for the whole community, and not just PC players. It'd be these mod devs' time to shine, and some of them are overdue for the opportunity.

Also I'm all for more regular TLC passes, even if that means having fewer creatures in each phase. And it probably should be the case if we're honest.

But I agree with many above that getting rid of some creatures, just because they're supposedly useless or unoriginal now, is a very bad idea. We all have favorites, first of all, and one survivor's boring dino is another's most cherished one (especially on PvE where imho there is more flexibility, especially for herbivores ; we don't need to soak turrets so we're more flexible than the common trike/stego deal). But second of all, Ark is a game that prides itself on how many creatures it makes available ; deleting content instead of improving and/or adding up to would be a suicidal move.

• Like 2

I'd not kill any of the old dinos that "noone wants" because chances are that for each "useless" species there's a handful of people who loves them to pieces ;)

New dinos are always exciting, especially when they're DINOS like the Deino instead of made up alien creatures, but there's so many already and (at least in PvE) half of them have no real purpose or there are others that can do the same thing better, or species that are the only ones to use for certain things like anky to harvest metal or angler for pearls.

So I think more TLCs would be awesome that add new use to the unwanted creatures and make them more interesting as well as to - maybe - create alternatives for anky & co. so you can choose which one you like better, a land/SE creature that can harvest pearls (like the ones on SE and in shallow water) etc.

• Like 1

I agree with a lot of others, a big no to vaulting dinos for me. And a yes to more tlcs. Not sure how I feel about spreading the megalosaurus' mouth grab animation to all carnivores. I mean it doesn't really have much going for it already with the sleep thing it's got going on. And its mouth grab is amazing to watch from a distance. I say one snatch up a shinehorn. I'm never against new dinos, but I would want them to seem different from the ones we already have. I do genuinely believe it's possible to make most, if not all, of the less used dinos more useful.

I agree with a lot of others, a big no to vaulting dinos for me. And a yes to more tlcs. Not sure how I feel about spreading the megalosaurus' mouth grab animation to all carnivores. I mean it doesn't really have much going for it already with the sleep thing it's got going on. And its mouth grab is amazing to watch from a distance. I say one snatch up a shinehorn. I'm never against new dinos, but I would want them to seem different from the ones we already have. I do genuinely believe it's possible to make most, if not all, of the less used dinos more useful.

On 8/17/2019 at 5:43 PM, Eanaya said:

I'd not kill any of the old dinos that "noone wants" because chances are that for each "useless" species there's a handful of people who loves them to pieces ;)

New dinos are always exciting, especially when they're DINOS like the Deino instead of made up alien creatures, but there's so many already and (at least in PvE) half of them have no real purpose or there are others that can do the same thing better, or species that are the only ones to use for certain things like anky to harvest metal or angler for pearls.

So I think more TLCs would be awesome that add new use to the unwanted creatures and make them more interesting as well as to - maybe - create alternatives for anky & co. so you can choose which one you like better, a land/SE creature that can harvest pearls (like the ones on SE and in shallow water) etc.

SE may not have a dino for gathering pearls, but it does have a whip which works pretty well. Plus I think you're forgetting the otter, they gather pearls I believe. Not as much as an angler, but still... I would like more underwater caves and stuff. Nothing people can build in, because if I timeout underwater, that will definitely be the last time I bother to go down there. But in general, more nooks and crannies to explore underwater.

Edited by Locket
  • Like 1

TLC's are a must. 80% of the creatures on the game just don't get used even on PVE. Obvious ones like carnos and pteras that just look out of date and are pretty useless on PVE, but also stuff like mosa's and plesi's for people who want to be an underwater tribe are useless because they're scared of jellyfish. I'd rather see a new boosted mosa with a bigger platform capacity and unrivalled in the water than another robot

• Like 1