Ankylo auto-harvest

Supersonic

Suggestion

70 replies to this server topic

On 3/11/2020 at 4:25 AM, StaceyMalibu said:

I'm sorry, but this is a no go.

You know what would happen? Tons of ankys on leashes on aberration getting metal, since you only have to go and collect it. Let alone the island or other maps where metal is more scarse.
Doed is okay, since stone is literally everywhere.

Easily worked around, Have the anky have to be carried in order to auto harvest, or atleast be in render range, maybe instead one could give it a command/whistle to harvest instead of a full auto harvest, numerous ways to encourage players to use it the same way the doe is used. I feel what you suggest is a very weak and niche argument against a potentially great QOL improvement which people have asked for for years.

Agreed, Anky should really have the auto-harvest function, in single player pve it's a major chore as the player's weight limit is frustratingly low... Take into account using an argie and anky combo and so much time is taken into transferring the items between them unless you manage to park them right next to each other and the anky's tail doesn't knock you out of range... 

Imo a simple and super well  received solution would be the auto harvest, which you really need to monitor anyway as they can get ganked quite easily, or carried off by rivals to disrupt you, so it's not a game breaking experience, if anything it gives more opportunities to capitalize on another tribe's weakness. It'd be great for both PVE and PVP

Edited by Gumbar

On 4/23/2019 at 11:48 PM, Supersonic said:

Just a small Quality of Life improvement, please make Ankylo auto-harvest metal like Doedicurus does with stone! Would be nice to get the metal on side of the mountains without a Quetzal. Thank you.

This is something I would love to see added in even as an ini option for singleplayer and unofficial!

I upvoted this month's ago, but only recently realized how odd it seems that it doesn't already autoharvest. There are creatures that auto harvest other resources. Below are a few that I have started playing around with. Some I just set on their target for the occasional harvest - others are set to wander within a leashed parameter. 

• Moschops - Fiber, Thatch, Wood, Berries
  • Therizi & Beaver - Wood, Thatch,
  • Doed - Stone
  • Gatcha - Flint, Stone, Thatch, Wood

I know there are probably others out there - but one thing I have noticed is that there is no creature for metal. All those that harvest it that I have tried do not do so automatically. 

Now I know one of the worries is that they could make the process too easy or convenient. To combat that I would suggest that they simply do not harvest the item without a character in render. It requires the use of the location to be thought through a bit more. Sticking the creature in a random field wouldn't do one any good if they were not in render long enough to make it worth it. So you would need to live or work near a few nodes to make it really worth it. 

Given, this may be a bit more difficult on some maps, the official storyline maps specifically. As the other maps seems to be a bit friendlier with a spackling of nodes across the maps in larger groupings. So that would be one aspect of consideration. 

It would be a nice addition, if even only as a game ini setting. 

At this day and age with the tools and dinos we have access too for farming I see no negatives allowing anky to auto harvest like doedic. Maybe a few years ago yes, but now there are waaaay more "OP" methods of farming. Please if this is still on the table of things to consider or reconsider, auto harvesting anky would be an awesome Quality of life to solo farmers!

Ankylo used to auto harvest a long time back. I used to put two at the front of my ships to break the stone along the rivers and waters edge on the island so I didn't have to go as deep in Leed Whale areas or keep dodging rocks for clipping. Not entirely sure why it was disabled, but I think it was in due to making metal, obsidian and crystal farming way too easy when they were meant to be a harder to obtain resource. With Gacha's in play now and them making hundreds per hour each, I think it would be entirely fair on any server to have auto-harvest enabled on them. Gacha's pretty much obsolete Ankylo anyways as long as you keep them filled, mate bonused and 12+ tiles away from same gender Gacha's to max out production.

On 4/23/2019 at 11:48 PM, Supersonic said:

Just a small Quality of Life improvement, please make Ankylo auto-harvest metal like Doedicurus does with stone! Would be nice to get the metal on side of the mountains without a Quetzal. Thank you.

IIRC this was the original method, it was patched out to incentivize joining tribes. There's currently a mod for it too, but it does have to change the dino BP, so that gives you problems with transferring. RIP about 4 ankys, including a max-level pure red event one.  

also +1 to the suggestion, I use the mod right now.

Edited by Milsurp