Some benefit to surviving

Porr

Suggestion

This is a survival game but there is no real benefit to surviving most of the time. If I am in my base, why would I ever eat food or drink water? If I die from it while in my base I just spawn right there again. I had a friend that played and never ate or drank while near his base and was never penalized for this in any way.

It might be nice to have a timer in the HUD that tells you how long you have stayed alive and then you are given some sort of bonus based on that. Bonus could be an experience buff, a stat buff or maybe just unlocks achievements. It just seems like commonsense to reward surviving in a survival game.

20 replies to this server topic

Lots of you seem to think that reward for surviving = harder and more stressful game = you should just play hardcore. OP isn't saying you should suffer and lose stuff for dying, but rather unlock and earn things for not dying. Noobs can die all day and not get punished, but skilled players will get skins and achievements. Acting like this is bad is just ignorant.

Definitely!

Maybe a lesser spawn timer could do it - 1 minute for official servers. An experience boost seems reasonable as a reward but maybe it would also make sense to make surviving a little harder if there's a reward.

Maybe add a chance of getting an infection if bitten or add the possibility of getting an illness if you go into extreme conditions.

Yeah death isn't a penalty in fact you can actually gain from dying, chop up your body for some raw meat anyone.

It was used quite a bit in early days of SE release for taming carnivores because of the short spoil timers there. Tribemates chopping each other up to feed the tame. It was a good way to get a raptor or direwolf and get you off that bottom rung of the survival ladder.  

On 4/23/2019 at 7:18 PM, Porr said:

This is a survival game but there is no real benefit to surviving most of the time. If I am in my base, why would I ever eat food or drink water? If I die from it while in my base I just spawn right there again. I had a friend that played and never ate or drank while near his base and was never penalized for this in any way.

It might be nice to have a timer in the HUD that tells you how long you have stayed alive and then you are given some sort of bonus based on that. Bonus could be an experience buff, a stat buff or maybe just unlocks achievements. It just seems like commonsense to reward surviving in a survival game.

Not a bad idea, 9 times out of 10 id rather die than waste food if i am at or near base.

On 4/24/2019 at 1:18 AM, Porr said:

I really like this idea. I used to play Hardcore mode for a few years and it REALLY was another game, seriously :). I like the idea, but you could also have in mind the option not to encourage dying but to have a debuff like "Dying sickness" that lasts for a few minutes. PVP wise, its better to have a survival buff, PVE wise maybe a Dying debuff is more suitable.

I am behind adding achievements but I cannot agree with making the game more annoying than it already is for newb beginners.  If you are getting lazy go play a hardcore server.  Some people need more challenge that is fine.  But others of us find real life challenging enough and the game is an escapism from that hard core reality.  Difficulty level of ark is fine as is.

there is an issue, not only in your base but in general, there's no much to lose when you die except if killed by another player, to the point I kill myself very often if it's convenient

there is a mod implementing a system similar to the dark souls bloodstain

wish the game had something like this to make me fear death again

back in the very early times of ark their was a respawn interval and i beleive there still is on some ark servers. it made you conscious about dying. if you died you had to wait a while before being able to respawn, at first it would take a minimum of 20-30 mins but they realised your loot would dissapear if you go to get it. that worked but not really fair for those pussies who sit in their base all day while their mates r out actually playing the game. maybe you unlock skins by srviving long periods of time. 

Archived