Wipe Official Servers

NoOneBtw

Suggestion

After almost 2 years of constant breeding, every larger group now has incredibly mutated dinos that are nowhere close to what the game was originally balanced around. This means that dinos like Rhinos or Therizinosaurs deal much more damage and are much harder to kill than they were 1.5 years ago when the game released. Politically, the game is currently very stale, with alliances constant, no big conflicts and many people leaving the main cluster for others clusters or other games for a fresher and more exciting experience. A wipe would easily reset breeding back to its original state and bring these dinos back down to what they were originally, and bring back many players that have left over the last year.

edit: im talking (mostly) about the Official PvP network, non-legacy, main cluster)

Edited by NoOneBtw
clarification
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 18

360 replies to this server topic

@namelessNo, I'm saying that you want the wipe to happen now because of selfish reasons. I'm saying that you want the wipe to happen to put everyone on equal terms if that even means anything on PVE. I don't understand your reasoning for wanting the wipe and the few people that dupe on PVE do not influence me or most people there.

I would bet that most people on PVE don't even think about dupers because it doesn't influence them in any way. You on the other hand think that those duped items are ruining your game? I'm trying to understand the reason for it. 

This is a totally different matter for PVP where heavy duping exploits should be a reason for a wipe because they directly effect everyone playing there.

Edited by Fukushu

19 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

@namelessthe game will also be not supported anymore at some point.

Wildcard will not be able to stop duping as long as you can transfer, upload or download. 

what if:

Uploaded items are saved in the local servers first, and then uploaded to ark data cloud when local server is saving? Duplication can not happen if server saves right after item leaves server, is that correct?

19 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

@namelessthe game will also be not supported anymore at some point.

Look at the PS4 or XBOX   PVP servers, they were and still are heavily dupe invested. Some tribes have hundreds of the same MEK and they still didn't wipe, why would they wipe PVE with the few dupers, why do you think it will happen? Do you know why legacy became legacy?

I made this suggestion exactly because I know why legacy became legacy: what is happening to legacy right now? As player population drops and server is shuted down one by one, complete removal of whole cluster is finally justified.

2 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

@namelessNo, I'm saying that you want the wipe to happen now because of selfish reasons. I'm saying that you want the wipe to happen to put everyone on equal terms if that even means anything on PVE. I don't understand your reasoning for wanting the wipe and the few people that dupe on PVE do not influence me or most people there.

If you really want to, you may come to the official servers I am on, check what I have, and decide for yourself how likely this can be true.

5 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

I would bet that most people on PVE don't even think about dupers because it doesn't influence them in any way. You on the other hand think that those duped items are ruining your game? I'm trying to understand the reason for it. 

When I was on official legacy, I didn't think baby taming is going to affect me either, and now legacies are legacies.

When there was no transfer timers, I didn't think duplication  is going to affect me either, and now transfer timers are transfer timers.

Before Christmas, I didn't think meshing will affect me either, and now creatures are getting killed at random places.

I am not sure what you think, but I see a pattern there and I wish bad things will not happen this time...……..

5 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

Just focus on fixing these problems, prevent meshing and duping and the effects of them will eventually disappear, without harming the legit players.

I really hope that what the developer/ people who own the server believes, but this was not their solution when they created legacy, neither when they decided to delete all the fishing rods.

it is just that legacy is created after aberration release (second dlc), I got a feeling something similar will happen after genesis (4th dlc)

Edited by nameless

Just now, LEDminer said:

Legacy was made so that all the duped stuff couldn't be transferred over to the fresh new servers. It also allowed people who played before release to continue their things. They could have just wiped the servers or allowed transfer from the legacy servers to the fresh servers, but that would have been bad. In my eyes, legacy is the best solution for both the new servers and the old players.

Not sure what you mean with the fishing rods, but I remember when they nerfed fishing rods a long time ago. This was because they could be used to get OP loot. Get a decent rod, fish up a better rod, then find a big fish and get extremely powerful blueprints for items. It was needed, since it allowed easy access to OP stuff.

I think the mean reason of legacy sever is baby taming. It had to be isolated because stats without exploit is indistinguishable from those without. These creatures with exploits also affected boss fights so characters are locked there too.On the other hand, duplicated blue prints can be recognized if identical blueprints are found.

I don't think legacy will be the best solution for me (as a non legacy official pve player) because I saw how legacy server is shut down one by one until cluster shut down.

Fishing rods, like transfer timers, legacy, and so on are just examples of how some exploits can eventually leads to changes that heavily affects players who never heard of these exploits. This are the patterns I saw for ark developers' decision making circuit.

As a response to the question:

47 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

and to the assumption that developers will act as if:

20 minutes ago, LEDminer said:

Just focus on fixing these problems, prevent meshing and duping and the effects of them will eventually disappear, without harming the legit players.

6 hours ago, nameless said:

To be honest, that is what I wished for too.

But I am some how worried that all the screams that shout "wipe" will finally cause an effect, which could either be a full server wipe or a new isolated official cluster.

Most people who scream for a wipe plays pvp. There are a few people who wants a wipe to pve but not as much as pvp since meshing or duping does not affect pve players as much as it does to pvp. I rather not have a wipe to pve.

I really hope that what the developer/ people who own the server believes, but this was not their solution when they created legacy, neither when they decided to delete all the fishing rods.

it is just that legacy is created after aberration release (second dlc), I got a feeling something similar will happen after genesis (4th dlc)
Legacy was created before aber release

This is a common problem on all games which lead to question on why a system was never set up to account for it.

ie -  IF so many Established tribes (%) say they want a server wipe then one is initiated say in a week.

Established as in active and been on the server for a month or 2 or......

Then it would happen.

Something like that and yes it is rough and would need to be hashed out the exact method....

Server Wipes

So I have seen a lot of people asking for server wipes, but a lot of people have spent years of their life  on the servers and if it gets wiped a lot of people will be very mad. The people that are asking for a wipe are probably people that haven’t put a lot of time and effort into the servers.

On 9/25/2019 at 12:18 PM, ForzaProiettile said:

I'd support a wipe. It would make things interesting and fresh. 

What would make things even more interesting is if they changed official servers back into hardcore mode. If dinos don't get to respawn, players should not have that opportunity either. This would be DND Features at its finest. 

On 1/31/2020 at 6:42 AM, ello788 said:

Most people who scream for a wipe plays pvp. There are a few people who wants a wipe to pve but not as much as pvp since meshing or duping does not affect pve players as much as it does to pvp. I rather not have a wipe to pve.

Without any quantified statistics, I believe 99%+ PvE players do not want a wipe. However, I am always worrying that when PvP server wipes (or becomes the next legacy), PvE servers will become the collateral damage.

So, I do find it humorous that there is so much animosity towards the OP on wiping official - particularly concerning folks losing countless hours of time taming, building, breeding, advancing their characters, yet it's perfectly acceptable to wipe legacy servers?  The vast majority of those legacy players have been playing, building, breeding, etc., far longer than most of the official players - by a long shot.  Personally, I have been playing since early 2016, and have endured several biome changes which destroyed several of my bases, the introduction of the un-tuned Giga, which subsequently destroyed about 200 dinos that I had at the time, griefers on the server, etc... 

Regardless, I have put in at least as much time as any others of you official players (check my Steam profile), but it's ok to call for a wipe for legacy?  Put yourself in our shoes - there's a reason we stay on legacy.  Yes, the communities are generally more hospitable than official, but the primary reason is that we are well-established, and we no more want to start over than any of you saying that it would kill the game for you.  Your time is more valuable than anyone's on legacy?  We all paid for the game - we all expect to be able to play the game in the manner that it was designed.

What's good for the goose is good for the gander - call for a wipe on legacy (and I know this thread was not started with that intent towards legacy, but I just had to comment, given some of your replies about how it would be suicidal for WC to do such), and I say that I call for a wipe on all servers - across the board.  If memory serves, legacy was original separated due to duping, over-mutated dinos, and in general, cheaters.  Take a look at your official servers now, and tell me where the bulk of that has gone?

Go ahead and flame me - I know it's coming, but you and I both know the truth about time and effort invested on both sides of the fence, and where the true issue is now.  Log on any official server and look at a Giga, Boss Rex, Mana, Argent, etc... and compare it to a legacy variant of the same.

I don't know if this can be a good idea or no... for veteran players, all their content erased and start all over, for some players, thousands hours spent into the game. I know this is very frustrating for all new players to find a place to build on a PVE server, or be clean by an alpha tribe on a PVP server. In some points, this game is like a rpg, spending lot of hours to evolve, find better stuff, find better dinos, better saddles, theory crafting, optimization... i would not like to start over again the same thing i already did in the past for like one thousand hour just because a unjustified general wipe. After a month this would be the same problem as before, people will build everywhere, with not a single place to build our base, and alpha tribe on pvp server will be there to clean everything again. The game is like that, a wipe will change nothing, maybe one solution is some readjustments on many points in the game

Fresh wipe of official and small tribe servers.

It has been a very long time since we had a wipe on official servers. With the recent mek duping method both small tribes and official servers have been ruined by mek rushing. Most servers a ran by single tribes who make it impossible for others to build up. A wipe would bring a fresh start to the game like never before. I wipe would bring back old players and new ones as they’ll have a chance to play the game from the start. At the moment the game seems to be in a good state, in the summer a new map is releasing. This is the perfect time to wipe offices and small tribe servers and give all the players a fresh start. I spoken with many other players who agree it’s time for a fresh wipe.

Wipe the official crossarks

The pvp is dull, you’re either fighting someone who has nothing compared to you or vice versa. I think wiping the crossarks and opening less of them will see more players on those servers and it will be way more fun.

Another fix would be to cluster all the crossarks together and let them fight each other.