Wipe Official Servers

NoOneBtw

Suggestion

After almost 2 years of constant breeding, every larger group now has incredibly mutated dinos that are nowhere close to what the game was originally balanced around. This means that dinos like Rhinos or Therizinosaurs deal much more damage and are much harder to kill than they were 1.5 years ago when the game released. Politically, the game is currently very stale, with alliances constant, no big conflicts and many people leaving the main cluster for others clusters or other games for a fresher and more exciting experience. A wipe would easily reset breeding back to its original state and bring these dinos back down to what they were originally, and bring back many players that have left over the last year.

edit: im talking (mostly) about the Official PvP network, non-legacy, main cluster)

Edited by NoOneBtw
clarification
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 18

360 replies to this server topic

You gotta fix meshing and duping first, then wipe the game(at least pvp servers). The only people who will quit playing the game are the toxic bad players who are to lazy to actually do or earn anything. Plus i know about 50 people myself who would come back if the game wasn't broken. Not everyone cares about getting wiped or trying to "win" ark. Most of us just want things to have been earned and fair. 

Server Reset

The game is dying because of the hostile environment that is the exact opposite of what any potential new player expects even experienced players have to deal with these issues when joining new servers. All of the servers should reset at the very least once or twice a year to ensure that the game remains playable, whenever you join a server regardless of the map, one of two outcomes occur, either you instantly die to an alpha and/or higher leveled dinos and players, or even the over powered bases that players have created. It does not matter where you choose to spawn either, every single spawn zone is plagued with these issues and the longer the servers are allowed to remain untouched the worse this becomes. Another issue with not resetting servers is that most obelisks are quickly made inaccessible due to player bases or even as I have experienced players building giant blocks just to prevent anyone from using the obelisk. They even get covered in turrets which is even more unfair to players. I have also encountered player traps on PVE servers, I spawned into a metal building filled with fresh spawns who were forced to quit the server as they had no choice and no possible way to play as they were placed into a tall metal building with no equipment or ability to escape. If this is truly how the game is meant to be played then no wonder it is dying so quickly. another issue I have encountered is the dino AI but that's another issue.

I think a wipe would do the game some good. It would make everyone start at Square one and bring back the good ole days of PVP. One that doesn't have 3000 of the same 282 Mek, mega tribes with infinite resources, and all the claimed servers of the megas. A fresh start would be fun I honestly believe that alot of people would come back if they had a clean slate to deal with. Granted it would suck since we just had those breeding rates and the chibis but hell make the chibis a reward for bosses or something so people don't lose them. And have the emotes and all tied to the account instead of the characters.

Edited by rickeybob1

On 5/1/2019 at 11:01 AM, Quilleute said:

The only ones , that want a wipe its the damn kids that always are winning about something , instead of playing the game. I play the game for 3 years and dont have any problem with my evolution and i still have much to work for

. Just because , you are too lazy to work for your stuff and want everything for yesterday , i dont have to be punished by all that posture of yours.

My server is constantly with 20+ people on, and everyday new players start on my server, 1 out of 10 succed and keep playing, cause all the others only know beg and ask for stuff, and we dont support that kind of attitude .

On 5/1/2019 at 11:01 AM, Quilleute said:

The only ones , that want a wipe its the damn kids that always are winning about something , instead of playing the game. I play the game for 3 years and dont have any problem with my evolution and i still have much to work for

. Just because , you are too lazy to work for your stuff and want everything for yesterday , i dont have to be punished by all that posture of yours.

My server is constantly with 20+ people on, and everyday new players start on my server, 1 out of 10 succed and keep playing, cause all the others only know beg and ask for stuff, and we dont support that kind of attitude .

Sir not only is yoor post extremely ignorant but it is also objectively wrong. I’m very plugged into the PvP scene and I can accurately say 90% of the PvP community wants some sort of wipe or new official server cluster. The current official servers are ravaged by duped loot and tames. Peoples bases get mek ran every day by duped meks. There are players with 1000s of tames duped to their character. 

Now I will say the game needs to be fixed before they wipe anything or it’s pointless (Duping/Meshing) 

However, if wanting a fresh reset where official servers will be fresh and, more importantly,  clear of duped loot/tames makes me a “damn kid” then call me a goofy goober and lets play some hopscotch 

Genesis wipe

Being that this is a new season and the fact that there are super mutated Dino’s. Genesis needs a new start. The game has become stale. Mega tribes with no real skill of the game protect even worse tribes just for their numbers. A wipe would encourage these beginner players to really learn the game ultimately making the pvp on the game even more epic than it has ever been. 

we need cheats for this game.

hello,

we need cheats for this game. its not possible to play this game normal. we got meshed so many times. there are alot of dupers and aimbotters. so we need cheats and mesh spots te rebuild again. otherwise its pointless to play. a suggestion would be, to wipe all servers, or remove the game from steam and disconnect al servers!

kind regards.

On the launch of genesis

As far as I am aware of, official pve players hate the following 4 things the most:

1, insiders/ a recruit who is not an insider but is ridiculously irresponsible

2, the mesh exploit

3, the duplication exploit

4, pillars

(there are probably lots of other things, but I think the last 4 are the most hated)

Due to these old issues, some of the players want to wipe all pve servers very badly, and some of them.... want no not wipe the servers, equally very badly. Thus I suggest a partial wipe:

(I don't know whats the probability of this happening, but if it does happen, then it will literally be genesis for ark)

day 1:

(this is when all players should be informed about this, and also when the duplication issue is hopefully fixed)

place log in messages and special labels on all servers affected

day 15:

(this is when all players upload their characters, dinos, and blueprints)

perform full cluster backup incase anything goes horribly wrong

alter obelisk settings:

change item expire times from 24 h to 144 h

change item number limit from 50 to 300

limit obelisk upload item type to blueprints and cryopods (with creature having 0 current weight/ no item in inventory when frozen) only, and possibly chibis

day 16:

(this is when duplicated blueprints are removed from uploaded items. By now, a list of characters, blueprints, and cryoed creatures, which are about all the hardwork for every players )

wipe and reprogram clusted servers to randomly download a part of the blueprint list of a single item type(10-20k  sets of 3-datapoint datasets, information about who is the owner doesnt matter) , compare them in a random-paired fashion.

If identical blueprints are found, then sent the associated information to cloud server. Cloud server add this blueprint to "duplicated" list

after some reasonable amount of cycles (when most duplicated blueprints are catched by the process)

cloud server scan blueprints list and remove any blueprints identical to any "duplicated" blueprints and compile a list of owners for "duplicated" blueprints (the process should require less computing power than simply comparing all the blueprints for each item type in a recombination fashion)

day 17:

(this is when genesis is released and clusters became playable again)

anti-pillaring mchanisms can be activated from now, other mechanisms can be activated too, (such as character loss prevention)

re-open official servers and allow item downloads on all non-genesis servers. allow character downloads on all servers

day 22:

(this is when everything ends)

alter obelisk settings to default

provide support and recovery for who encountered problems during this great migration

have a little talk with players who is found to own more than 3 duplicated blueprints, some of them may still be innocent and they deserve a chance to explain 

Pros of partial wipe:

not all hard work of old players are lost

give new players and returning players room to build

~99.9% of duplicated blueprints are eliminated

100% of all duplicated items are eliminated (welp, in fact it is 100% of the items, duplicated or not....)

minimal loss of old players and reasonable gain of new players

reduce the stress for genesis severs (since people are re-starting their base everywhere, less will go to genesis on the day of launch)

might be fun, for that small portion of pve players who is drowned in mundane daily tasks

remove zombie players who only refresh  their base once 2 weeks

a new start that fits the name of  "genesis"

Cons:

this might not be satisfactory to either pro-wipe or anti-wipe parties

~0.1% of the blueprints may escape the check (or if we are lucky, they  may not)

total chaos, whether there will be a mistake or not

Q&A

Why did you type so much when you know there is very little hope of some one that matters will read it, and even less chance that they will consider this?

I have thought about this, and the conclusion is that it will be my problem if I don't say it, and it will be their problem if they don't listen

Why cant we keep items?

There is no way to recognize duplicated items. Same for buildings built with them.

Aren't we doing anything about the creatures and the characters?

Creatures are breed with food or cloned from elements (one s too troublesome to duplicate, the other can not be duplicated), they themselves have an id that prevents duplication

Even when duplicated items can potentially be traded for such resources used for breeding, I believe relatively few exploiters do that 

There is a snow owl freezing exploit but the benefit should hardly persist after this wipe

Each breed need extensive recombination and egg hatch timing, making them valuable even if one have infinite amount of resources

Characters have associated ascensions and tekgrams, both of which requires dinos, equipment's, and trophies, and lots of time

trophies can not be duplicated

creatures can not be duplicated

equipment can, but as far as i know, relatively few exploiters duplicated anything other than blueprints and tek structures

Thus characters are minimally affected by duplication

Other than above, they are the assets most representative of player's hard work.

Why cant we allow legacy transfer to this new cluster?

Baby taming exploit affected the creatures on legacy. As a side effect, characters are affected too due to exploited boss fights.

What about pillaring and insiders?

Pillaring:

instead of instant reset decay timers, decay timer can refresh in an 1:1000 manner when owner is present. (that is, one have to stay around one's structure for 10 minutes per week to prevent decay)  

Insiders:

include a reputation system on ark form, much like the trader reputation

use cloud server to cross compare steam id, hardwear id, and IP address to recognize related accounts. (I believe very few insiders are careful enough to make multiple steam ids, hardwear ids, and IP addresses, then make them appear unrelated for a long time...…….)

Neither is a perfect solution, but both are better than non.

At the end, a little suggestion to prevent duplications:

Why not save uploaded items in the local servers first, and then let the server transfer them to ark data cloud when it is saving? So that:

No item can be gained during upload process even if there is a server crash.

players don't have to carry item when waiting for transfer

Edited by nameless
changed topic

Nope.

Myself and my tribe did not use exploits. I don't think we should be punished because of some who did.

I want to jump to Genesis, grind out our base, tame the new dino's, start breeding them while maintaining all we grinded for on the other maps. 

The owl glitch did not affect me. I don't care who used it. 

The item/blueprint dupes may have affected me with server performance. Nothing can be done now.

Most of the bp's we got we got ourselves so little chance that affects me either.

Release the map, continue working on bug fixes after to prevent future exploits.

Just now, yekrucifixion187 said:

Nope.

Myself and my tribe did not use exploits. I don't think we should be punished because of some who did.

I want to jump to Genesis, grind out our base, tame the new dino's, start breeding them while maintaining all we grinded for on the other maps. 

The owl glitch did not affect me. I don't care who used it. 

The item/blueprint dupes may have affected me with server performance. Nothing can be done now.

Most of the bp's we got we got ourselves so little chance that affects me either.

Release the map, continue working on bug fixes after to prevent future exploits.

To be honest, that is what I wished for too.

But I am some how worried that all the screams that shout "wipe" will finally cause an effect, which could either be a full server wipe or a new isolated official cluster.

@namelessyou asked yourself some questions but missed the most important one: Why do you even care what others have on PVE since it does not influence you.

You can chose to play without bred lines from other people and still do bosses, you can farm your own stuff and play for yourself. 

The reason you probably care for such things on PVE is that it's an egoboost, don't take this in a bad way, we express ourselves ingame if we miss this IRL.

You could be happy with what you have since it's PVE but you don't want others to have things which they got with an unfair method. But why is that method unfair on PVE? It doesn't influence you or your gameplay. 

I despise cheaters/hackers and dupers and they all should be steam banned on all their accounts but asking to wipe PVE servers because some people hack/dupe and wipe everyone away because you yourself find it unfair is a little selfish, isn't it?

I can only look at a good friend of mine, who has the same issue. He constantly complained about the OP breeding lines that make everything so easy but when I suggest that he should just breed his own lines, play at his own pace and do bosses without any help, he refused. He enjoyed the closed Valguero servers because he had good rexes and could do the boss on beta as one of the first on the server which boosted his self esteem and made the game more fun for him. This can turn very quickly as soon as the servers opened, everyone was suddenly able to do the bosses easily and he stopped playing because people wouldn't come to him anymore for tips or dinos. He needed the recognition ingame to be happy and have fun, which is not a good thing IMO.

I find this very sad and would encourage everyone to not seek recognition in a video game. You should play it because it's fun, set yourself tasks your want to do or reach like in IRL or to find friends and play with them.

(Even if ARK has horrible, horrible gamebreaking issues, it's still a fun game.)

Just now, Fukushu said:

@namelessyou asked yourself some questions but missed the most important one: Why do you even care what others have on PVE since it does not influence you.

You can chose to play without bred lines from other people and still do bosses, you can farm your own stuff and play for yourself. 

The reason you probably care for such things on PVE is that it's an egoboost, don't take this in a bad way, we express ourselves ingame if we miss this IRL.

You could be happy with what you have since it's PVE but you don't want others to have things which they got with an unfair method. But why is that method unfair on PVE? It doesn't influence you or your gameplay. 

I despise cheaters/hackers and dupers and they all should be steam banned on all their accounts but asking to wipe PVE servers because some people hack/dupe and wipe everyone away because you yourself find it unfair is a little selfish, isn't it?

I can only look at a good friend of mine, who has the same issue. He constantly complained about the OP breeding lines that make everything so easy but when I suggest that he should just breed his own lines, play at his own pace and do bosses without any help, he refused. He enjoyed the closed Valguero servers because he had good rexes and could do the boss on beta as one of the first on the server which boosted his self esteem and made the game more fun for him. This can turn very quickly as soon as the servers opened, everyone was suddenly able to do the bosses easily and he stopped playing because people wouldn't come to him anymore for tips or dinos. He needed the recognition ingame to be happy and have fun, which is not a good thing IMO.

I find this very sad and would encourage everyone to not seek recognition in a video game. You should play it because it's fun, set yourself tasks your want to do or reach like in IRL or to find friends and play with them.

(Even if ARK has horrible, horrible gamebreaking issues, it's still a fun game.)

it will affect me if the server is fully wiped

6 minutes ago, Fukushu said:

@namelessit will but you want a fresh start with everyone on the same terms? Why do you want such a thing on PVE, why do you care about that? 

I guess I need to clarify my attitude and the purpose of this suggestion here:

Attitude:   

1, I don't want any form of wipe, permanently for any reason

2, I believe at some point of time, for some reason, the current main pve cluster will be wiped, or a new cluster will form to replace it (effectively labeling the old one for future destruction)

3, If a wipe have to happen, then I prefer a partial one to a full one

Purpose:

To suggest a partial wipe that remove most influence of exploits, and to take away any reason for new cluster or full wipe

Edited by nameless

@namelessthe game will also be not supported anymore at some point.

Wildcard will not be able to stop duping as long as you can transfer, upload or download. You even randomly dupe items intentionally when you upload or download them or dupe your character. This has always been an issue but you still haven't answered my question: Why do you want that partial wipe? To prevent wildcard from fully wiping in the future? That's a really, really bad reason (or excuse for your real reason) to wipe NOW and not in some years/never.

Look at the PS4 or XBOX   PVP servers, they were and still are heavily dupe invested. Some tribes have hundreds of the same MEK and they still didn't wipe, why would they wipe PVE with the few dupers, why do you think it will happen? Do you know why legacy became legacy?

Edited by Fukushu