graphics Bloom & Light Shafts setting on Console

WilliamMichell

Suggestion

• Answers 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

90 replies to this server topic

Could we please, please, get this? Its not just a quality of life thing to improve the general gameplay experience on console but its also an accessibility issue as well. The bloom quality as it stands now can have serious implications on game playability for certain visual impairments, visual processing disorders, those with light sensitive conditions like migraines and possibly even photosensitive epilepsy, and for people on the Autism spectrum who have sensory issues around brightness and colour - I myself suffer with migraines that can be triggered by sudden bright light, I'm on the autism spectrum, and have a visual processing disorder and co can be quite painful to have a sudden burst of glare while I'm moving through the in-game world. An option to switch off bloom and light rays, or a slider to adjust it to personal preference, would be an ideal fix for this problem, and as it apparently is already in place for the PC version of the game it doesn't make much sense to me to not have this feature in console versions. 

Please can we have this added as a priority? Not just for the quality of life aspect but also to improve the game accessibility for all your players. 

On 4/27/2020 at 3:27 AM, Bearmain said:

PSA: ARK caused my sons seizure?

(Edited Post; Removed segment with a setting recommendation so this thread can stay in General as a PSA and discussion board, rather than moved to a comment on someone elses thread like last time please)

Hi all, 

Let me start off this post by stating that this is in no way a hate or blame thread, but more of a PSA to the community and ARK Devs. I love ARK and have 4 copies (2x PS4 and 2xPC) for separate consoles and PC's within the house.

I have played ARK for years, as have other members of the family. I have spent most of my time on a rented server playing on PC. My son always watches me, he is 13, a real dinosaur enthusiast like I was as a child. So ARK had always captured our interest deeply, with countless hours spent into the game. 

A couple of weeks ago my son had been practically begging me to let him play, so I decided it might be an awesome idea and special treat, to rent him a PS4 server (so he can play on boosted settings/Creative etc.) at his own leisure. For a couple hours per night, he would play on his server in the living room and I would play on mine in the dining room not far from him. Lots of laughs and chats (and bragging) about the dino's we had tamed/killed etc. 

Unfortunately this only lasted a few days, when he was struck with a sudden epileptic seizure while playing. A very scary ordeal for us all. He is ok, but we do not let him play games until things are better understood. 

I noticed recently that the PS4 version was much brighter than my PC version, incredibly brighter. I went into the settings to turn off the bloom and light shafts but there was no option to do so. In some instances it was near impossible to look in any direction where the sun was as the whole screen became blindingly white. The snow area for instance is blinding from most angles if the sun is out, and not obstructed by clouds. The same effect is present when in the Aberration Trench in Valguero, or in a metal base with lights on or Light Pet effect active.

I have taken some screen shots comparing my PC version to the PS4 version, in the same locations at the same time. As blinding as a lot of the PS4 images are, I have seen it much worse, where the whole screen has become white. I have upload some comparisons to imgur as I am not sure how to bypass the 390kb size limit on this website. https://imgur.com/a/5pHkbuG

In my conclusion I am thinking it is possible with the high brightness levels of the PS4 version of the game, it may have led to the incident we went through, so I hope all of you can be a little more careful in playing this version. 

Thank you to all reading, thank you to ARK devs for making an enjoyable game, be safe out there. ?

General question for all reading, who else plays with their family? 

Regards,

Bearmain

I myself am a fellow ARK enthusiast. I have been playing the game on Xbox for several years now and I myself have Grand Maul Epilepsy. Never have i had an episode when it comes to playing the game but the fear of it is always there. Also, no two people have the same triggers when  it comes to seizures either. When it comes to the severity of the brightness though, something does need to be done about it when it comes to console. Seizures are in no way fun nor are they easy to deal with. i just recently found this post and created a forum account just so I could reply to it because I know what it is like. I hope that your son was able to make a speedy recovery and was able to continue to play ARK.

Sincerely, 

Jessie "Yoshi"  

• Volunteer Moderator
On 4/27/2020 at 8:27 AM, Bearmain said:

I noticed recently that the PS4 version was much brighter than my PC version, incredibly brighter. I went into the settings to turn off the bloom and light shafts but there was no option to do so. In some instances it was near impossible to look in any direction where the sun was as the whole screen became blindingly white. The snow area for instance is blinding from most angles if the sun is out, and not obstructed by clouds. The same effect is present when in the Aberration Trench in Valguero, or in a metal base with lights on or Light Pet effect active.

You might be interested to see this:

32 minutes ago, FreelancerKnux said:

Look im certainly not dismissing what happened to your son but this isn't news or even PSA worthy its a warning label in every game manual if not the game itself.

And only affects a tiny minority of people, even a tiny minority of people affected by epilepsy, only affecting people with photosensitive epilepsy. Not trying to diminish the affect on a child of course, it's a horrific thing to go through and I speak from experience. I was diagnosed with grand mal epilepsy at the age of 13 and have lived with it all my life, thankfully very well controlled by drugs and also thankfully not photosensitive so flashing lights don't affect me. It's a myth that flashing lights affect all epileptics, it's only a very small proportion of us (there are many different types of epilepsy).

The OP and his son have my sympathy (and empathy) I fully understand what you're going through, one thing I will say to you is be aware of his needs when he comes out of a fit, chances are he will just want to sleep, let him, a fit is an incredibly exhausting thing to go through.

On 1/11/2020 at 4:40 PM, KoopaBlizzard said:

Just replying to this suggestion to say that the latest patch did NOT include this option. 

We still want it!

I was checking back here to see if it was included. Disappointed that its not been included yet. 

Its not just a quality of life fix, its an accessibility feature that is needed so that players with medical conditions triggered by bright / flashing lights can actually play the game. I haven't opened my game in 2 months now because every time I play I either end up with a migraine from the bloom and light shafts, or I have to use admin commands to keep everything to night time - which means I'm limited in how I can play. 

It seems the console codes were present at one point, at least give us those back so players like myself and others who need this as an accessibility feature can play the game we've paid for. 

Hey WilliamMichell,

Thanks for letting me know about this threat! You received my vote and I will be doing everything I can to help this issue succeed! My immediate goal is to get them to disable these intense graphic settings immediately on all servers as a band aid solution until graphic settings adjustments can be added to the user interface. I will post some pictures also later because I do believe those pictures will showcase how serious this issue is, and us console players have been dealing with this since December 2016, although it was even worse back then!

I joined the forums just for this. Yes this topic. The lighting on the PS4 is awful right before sunset or right after sunrise. Don't even get started on the glare coming through the trees in the redwoods. I love the game. And I'll still play it no matter what. But I just got a new television with HD, and oh my goodness did that make it super bad. The night sky is absolutely beautiful now, but... its hard to enjoy when I've got a blinding light induced headache.

On 4/24/2019 at 6:20 AM, Lowly said:

Ok console we still do not have an option to disable bloom quality like the blinding Aberration element water glare and blinding reflection from metal. We must resort to laoding up single player, typing the "admincheat r.bloomquality 0" command then exiting and going about our normal play on which ever server we are going too, which adds about 5 minutes to the start of a gaming session

Us console players hear that pc has this in the menus and has for over a year.

I'd love a pc player to share there menu screen to show how many more settings they have then we do on consoles

ive heard of this but never found what you actually need to do. im going to try this tonight !

The bloom quality in ark is outrageously high it's nearly impossible to see anything in game half the time unless it's night yes I can turn up and down my gamma but is doesn't fix the problem it's still to bright I play on Xbox and see that the pc users can change the bloom quality I and many others would like to do the same please make this a new feature in the next update

PSA: ARK caused my sons seizure?

Hi all, 

Let me start off this post by stating that this is in no way a hate or blame thread, but more of a PSA to the community and ARK Devs. I love ARK and have 4 copies (2x PS4 and 2xPC) for separate consoles and PC's within the house.

I have played ARK for years, as have other members of the family. I have spent most of my time on a rented server playing on PC. My son always watches me, he is 13, a real dinosaur enthusiast like I was as a child. So ARK had always captured our interest deeply, with countless hours spent into the game. 

A couple of weeks ago my son had been practically begging me to let him play, so I decided it might be an awesome idea and special treat, to rent him a PS4 server (so he can play on boosted settings/Creative etc.) at his own leisure. For a couple hours per night, he would play on his server in the living room and I would play on mine in the dining room not far from him. Lots of laughs and chats (and bragging) about the dino's we had tamed/killed etc. 

Unfortunately this only lasted a few days, when he was struck with a sudden epileptic seizure while playing. A very scary ordeal for us all. He is ok, but we do not let him play games until things are better understood. 

I noticed recently that the PS4 version was much more bright than my PC version, incredibly more bright. I went into the settings to turn off the bloom and light shafts but there was no option to do so. In some instances it was near impossible to look in any direction where the sun was as the whole screen became blindingly white. The snow area for instance is blinding from most angles if the sun is out, and not obstructed by clouds. The same effect is present when in the Aberration Trench in Valguero, or in a metal base with lights on or Light Pet effect active. I scoured through settings of the server dashboard but have noticed no option to change this. 

I have taken some screen shots comparing my PC version to the PS4 version, in the same locations at the same time. As blinding as a lot of the PS4 images are, I have seen it much worse, where the whole screen has become white. I have upload some comparisons to imgur as I am not sure how to bypass the 390kb size limit on this website. https://imgur.com/a/5pHkbuG

In my conclusion I am thinking it is possible with the high brightness levels of the PS4 version of the game, it may have led to the incident we went through, so I hope all of you can be a little more careful in playing this version. And if any Devs are reading, I would really hope that for the betterment and well being of the PS4 players (Not sure how this effects Xbox) that we can have a setting added much like the option available on my PC version, to remove Light Bloom and Light Shaft effects. 

Thank you to all reading, thank you to ARK devs for making an enjoyable game, be safe out there. ?

Regards,

Bearmain

Archived