Breeding for Mutations

jojo1212

Hello everyone, I was playing around on single player just to get a better understanding about breeding.  So I spawned in two ankylo's one with good hp and the other with good melee.  After breeding those two together a few times, I was able to get a male (for reference sake I'll call it M hp + melee) and female (F hp + melee) with both the hp and melee.  So when I began breeding those for mutations, I got a female with a melee mutation and breed it back with "M hp + melee", and for whatever reason I cant figure out the baby was a female and got 1/1 on maternal and 1/1 on paternal.  Is this just a random bug?  I was under the impression that if I focus on one mutation stat like melee, as long as I get melee mutated females I can just keep breeding it back with the "M hp + melee" and have that paternal side 0/0.  Thanks for any help.

The first thing I always look for is a two level jump for a single new mutation, or a four level jump that indicates two new mutations. If the babies level is two higher than the parents, then it suggests there was another mutation (in this case, on the paternal side as suggested by the mut counter), that may not have produced a stat that was inherited, or was in a wasted stat.

The important thing to remember is that while the mutation counter always passes on and ticks upward with new mutations, the new mutations themselves, including the stat bonus, are not always inherited. Mutations are determined first, then afterward, which stats are inherited by the baby are determined. In this case, if there was a new mutation on the paternal side from dad, but the baby inherited mom's stat, then you would see a level jump and mutation counter tick up, but you wouldn't see the stat benefit. 

16 hours ago, DeHammer said:

The first thing I always look for is a two level jump for a single new mutation, or a four level jump that indicates two new mutations. If the babies level is two higher than the parents, then it suggests there was another mutation (in this case, on the paternal side as suggested by the mut counter), that may not have produced a stat that was inherited, or was in a wasted stat.

The important thing to remember is that while the mutation counter always passes on and ticks upward with new mutations, the new mutations themselves, including the stat bonus, are not always inherited. Mutations are determined first, then afterward, which stats are inherited by the baby are determined. In this case, if there was a new mutation on the paternal side from dad, but the baby inherited mom's stat, then you would see a level jump and mutation counter tick up, but you wouldn't see the 

So if a dino gets a useless stat or any stat in particular it will get a counter tick 1/20 correct or will it not sometimes if it's like a speed stat.

Also I play on a 300 boosted dino server is there a certain dino level I have to stop at if I'm getting 2 levels per mutation.  Or maybe should I try taming  levels instead of 300s.

15 minutes ago, jojo1212 said:

So if a dino gets a useless stat or any stat in particular it will get a counter tick 1/20 correct or will it not sometimes if it's like a speed stat.

Also I play on a 300 boosted dino server is there a certain dino level I have to stop at if I'm getting 2 levels per mutation.  Or maybe should I try taming  levels instead of 300s.

If there's a mutation, which happens first, the mutation counter ticks up on one side or the other (paternal or maternal). But whether the baby gets the benefit of that mutation is up in the air until the babies stats are inherited from the parents. If the mutation was a Health Points mutation from dad, but the baby instead inherits mom's health points, then you won't see the mutation stats benefit. 

21 hours ago, jojo1212 said:

Hello everyone, I was playing around on single player just to get a better understanding about breeding.  So I spawned in two ankylo's one with good hp and the other with good melee.  After breeding those two together a few times, I was able to get a male (for reference sake I'll call it M hp + melee) and female (F hp + melee) with both the hp and melee.  So when I began breeding those for mutations, I got a female with a melee mutation and breed it back with "M hp + melee", and for whatever reason I cant figure out the baby was a female and got 1/1 on maternal and 1/1 on paternal.  Is this just a random bug?  I was under the impression that if I focus on one mutation stat like melee, as long as I get melee mutated females I can just keep breeding it back with the "M hp + melee" and have that paternal side 0/0.  Thanks for any help.

No its not a bug. The mutation counter adds up quick. If you breed a 0/0 1/1 baby with their parent (or any dino) now youll have 1/1 2/2 breed that with parents and it exponetially adds up. 

Only way to keep one side "clean" is to breed your mutations with a 0/0 0/0 (clean) partner. Even then youll get 0/0 and 474728/20 partner eventually. Dont worry. As long as one side is clean you will get new mutations

1 hour ago, d1nk said:

No its not a bug. The mutation counter adds up quick. If you breed a 0/0 1/1 baby with their parent (or any dino) now youll have 1/1 2/2 breed that with parents and it exponetially adds up. 

Only way to keep one side "clean" is to breed your mutations with a 0/0 0/0 (clean) partner. Even then youll get 0/0 and 474728/20 partner eventually. Dont worry. As long as one side is clean you will get new mutations

but that base male with the hp and melee was a 0/20 out of 0/20

23 hours ago, d1nk said:

You said it was a melee mutation.. you said the baby from the melee mut breeding with clean. You cant have a mut and have 0/20 on both.

Yes I realize u cant have a mutation have 0/20 on both sides.  Its mom was 0/20 paternal and 1/20 maternal and the father was 0/20 maternal and 0/20 paternal.  The baby got 1/20 on both sides and was a female.  I guess I'm getting it but I thought that baby couldn't get a 1/20 on the paternal side since its a female and its father had 0/20 on both sides.

2 hours ago, jojo1212 said:

Yes I realize u cant have a mutation have 0/20 on both sides.  Its mom was 0/20 paternal and 1/20 maternal and the father was 0/20 maternal and 0/20 paternal.  The baby got 1/20 on both sides and was a female.  I guess I'm getting it but I thought that baby couldn't get a 1/20 on the paternal side since its a female and its father had 0/20 on both 

46 minutes ago, d1nk said:

Where do you get this info about male/female? Thats irrelevant. Paternal and maternal are just words for Parents or their own maturation mutations. 

Your baby inherited the parents' (Paternal) mutation and got one new one of its' own (Maternal) Breeding this 1/1 baby with a 0/0 will yield 0/20 and 3/20 baby (maybe 6/20 been a long day) with the left side (Maternal?) Being 0/20, resulting in more possible mutations to be added 

Paternal means from father, maternal mother. Thats probably why he refers to male/female

2 hours ago, jojo1212 said:

Yes I realize u cant have a mutation have 0/20 on both sides.  Its mom was 0/20 paternal and 1/20 maternal and the father was 0/20 maternal and 0/20 paternal.  The baby got 1/20 on both sides and was a female.  I guess I'm getting it but I thought that baby couldn't get a 1/20 on the paternal side since its a female and its father had 0/20 on both sides.

If the father was 0/20 & 0/20, and the baby shows 1/20 on the paternal side, then that indicates a new mutation from dad. While the dad himself wasn't mutated, he can still create new mutations in his babies during breeding. 

If you don't see any indications of a new mutation, then its likely that either the baby didn't inherit the stat or color change, and just got the mutation counter tick. Another possibility is that it did inherit the stat benefit, but you don't recognize it because it was the lower possible stat that was inherited and then mutated to look like the other possible stat. 

Example:

Baby could inherit HP 500 from mom, or HP 400 from dad. But there's a new mutation from dad that adds 100HP. So baby inherits 400HP that's mutated to 500HP from dad, but it looks like he inherited mom's 500HP. 

Archived