The Body Count

ForzaProiettile

There are a lot of threads on this forum lately talking about quaint stuff like what colours mutations your baby dino got or popular dino names.

I think its time there was a thread that discussed something a but more substantial. ARK is a PVP game and a lot of us on here no doubt share a blood lust, we enjoy the thrill of the hunt and a good violent rampage on a PVP server. So this is a thread to report your nefarious in-game activities like stealing the narcotics out of your friendly neighbours tame or just breaking into a base and slaughtering everything in sight for no particular reason.

The more brutal, violent and cunning your story is the higher your post will be rated. Keep it factual though this isn't a place for aspiring fiction writers. 

So with that I will begin. This was from an event from a while back but one that I think should help inspire others.

Ages ago my band of killers were hired by a large Chinese mega to soften up a server for an upcoming invasion. We raided this particular server for a few weeks day after day. We'd basically go around smashing and killing everything we could see. In the south on the island on first day we came across this fairly simple stone base near a metal mountain which appeared to be owned by a one man tribe. We blew our away inside took the good stuff and dumped the rest.

A few days later we came back and the owner had repaired the damage and had also added another layer of walls. So now it was two layers thick. So we jumped on the roof and blew our way in once again, took the loot and dumped the rest. 

A couple days later we were passing by and were surprised to find that the base was completely repaired and had been extended once again. This time another layer of ceilings had been added to the roof to make it thicker. The owner was obviously learning new things. Now obviously that wasn't going to stop us as we had an almost infinite supply of explosives at that point. So we blew our way in through a wall and then the second wall and to our surprise there was 4 plant x in the central room. We did what we normally do and left him to tend to the ruins.

About a week later we were cruising around the server and we'd thought we'd check up on our dear friend to see if he'd been back and sure enough indeed he had. The whole base has been converted to metal. So we once again made ourselves welcome and did our thing.

A few days after this we were in the area and had a peek to see if he'd been back because we thought surely by this point this solo player would have had enough. To our surprise he wasn't quite ready to give up. The base now had 2 auto turrets placed on opposite corners of the base. That obviously wasn't going to help him very much and so we let ourselves in did our thing and left.

A week later we came back and he's planted plant x all around the outside, added about 20 auto turrets up on his roof and some on the ground and he's built a large fence around the base. At this point I and the others were quite impressed with his stamina and determination. This guy was a fight and even though he had lost every battle he was still there trying to hold on.

We reached the conclusion that this guy could be of some use to us, he had seemingly the right metal qualities a good PVP player needs. We went to his base and upon seeing us he ran inside the gates and shut the door. I talked to him in voice chat and he at first was a bit hesitant but after a few minutes we were able to get a good convo going. I eventually made an offer to join our main Chinese tribe on another server where he could build in peace with plentiful resources. 

To our surprise he turned down the offer. This was his base he said and he wasn't leaving. While I admired his determination, his hubris given the situation wasn't the correct choice and so with that we blasted his base. This time everything went even the foundations until there was just a fence surrounding an empty paddock.

After that we never saw him again in that server or on any other server and according to Battlemetrics he had stopped playing.

Original Story and thread:

Sad to say I don't really have a good story by your merits, but I'll tell mine anyways ?.  I've been playing Ark since almost the beginning on Xbox.  When I was first introduced to the game by my brother I was amazed that something like this exists and I really hadn't even scratched the surface of what Ark is.  My brother, myself, my son, and some good friends thought this game looked amazing and wanted to play together.  Back in the beginning this dream proved impossible because every PVP server was packed at the 70 max or at the least around 68 or 69.  We wanted to play together so bad so we decided to buy a spare Xbox and set it up as a dedicated server.  Back at that time the idea of admin griefiing never even crossed our minds.  Our thought was let's setup a server, and advertise to get some folks to come play with us!  We setup our base on Herb Island and some other big tribes setup elsewhere on the Island.  It was fun, but I discovered that I'm just more of a solo player so I set off on my own.  Another tribe in the area eventually found my base and would stop by to say hi.  These guys seemed nice, but they were definitely more ruthless than they appeared.  One day they stopped at my base while I was there and started attemting to break down my door with a hatchet.  I didn't realize at the time how hard that is to do LOL.  I was scared in the little hut not sure what to do!  Eventually they gave up, but came back later and blew into my base and took everything I had.  Later they just started being more and more agressive, picking me off my pteri's and just basically griefing me.  I reached out to my old tribe the admins and asked for help.  They had a bunch of rockets, C4, etc just waiting to be used so I joined up with them and visited this griefing tribes base while they were offline and killed and destroyed everything.  We were admin of course, but the idea of spawning things in or using admin commands never even occured to us so the wiping was completely legit.  Let's just say these guys were sooooo salty!  They'd message my brother calling him names and were just not good sports about it at all.  Needless to say my brother blocked them from returning to the server, and this was pretty much the moment that our server started to disolve and was eventally decomissioned.  It was crazy and fun though while it lasted!

12 hours ago, Melcreif said:

Sad to say I don't really have a good story by your merits, but I'll tell mine anyways ?.  I've been playing Ark since almost the beginning on Xbox.  When I was first introduced to the game by my brother I was amazed that something like this exists and I really hadn't even scratched the surface of what Ark is.  My brother, myself, my son, and some good friends thought this game looked amazing and wanted to play together.  Back in the beginning this dream proved impossible because every PVP server was packed at the 70 max or at the least around 68 or 69.  We wanted to play together so bad so we decided to buy a spare Xbox and set it up as a dedicated server.  Back at that time the idea of admin griefiing never even crossed our minds.  Our thought was let's setup a server, and advertise to get some folks to come play with us!  We setup our base on Herb Island and some other big tribes setup elsewhere on the Island.  It was fun, but I discovered that I'm just more of a solo player so I set off on my own.  Another tribe in the area eventually found my base and would stop by to say hi.  These guys seemed nice, but they were definitely more ruthless than they appeared.  One day they stopped at my base while I was there and started attemting to break down my door with a hatchet.  I didn't realize at the time how hard that is to do LOL.  I was scared in the little hut not sure what to do!  Eventually they gave up, but came back later and blew into my base and took everything I had.  Later they just started being more and more agressive, picking me off my pteri's and just basically griefing me.  I reached out to my old tribe the admins and asked for help.  They had a bunch of rockets, C4, etc just waiting to be used so I joined up with them and visited this griefing tribes base while they were offline and killed and destroyed everything.  We were admin of course, but the idea of spawning things in or using admin commands never even occured to us so the wiping was completely legit.  Let's just say these guys were sooooo salty!  They'd message my brother calling him names and were just not good sports about it at all.  Needless to say my brother blocked them from returning to the server, and this was pretty much the moment that our server started to disolve and was eventally decomissioned.  It was crazy and fun though while it lasted!

Fantastic. That's the proper way to dispatch those who bother you. Nothing quite like a complete wipe or a hard reset as I like to say. Excellent work.

I will never understand people who play this game solely to prey on people’s bases with such brutality. I at least try to be fair because i understand the tremendous effort enemies put into it. But i guess it’s ok as long as you’re not cheating 

Maybe if everything took a LOT less time (10 real life days for a dino FFS) it would be better..but as of right now, there’s literally no reason NOT to be a raider. 

This game could have been so much more fun but because of the insane grind, most raids result in people leaving. Or they just become a nothing-to-lose raider like me.

I had the big base and everything all made by me, even you couldn’t raid me with “unlimited” explosives because the full turrets simply wouldn’t let you get close. But then a mesh cheater had to ruin it all, now here i am raiding noobs because i’m tired of being mr. nice guy. 

Maybe it’s personalities but i just don’t feel excited when i raid people, if anything it makes me sad to see everything wasted and i probably made them leave Ark overall. 

5 hours ago, MackTheKnife said:

I will never understand people who play this game solely to prey on people’s bases with such brutality. I at least try to be fair because i understand the tremendous effort enemies put into it. But i guess it’s ok as long as you’re not cheating 

Maybe if everything took a LOT less time (10 real life days for a dino FFS) it would be better..but as of right now, there’s literally no reason NOT to be a raider. 

This game could have been so much more fun but because of the insane grind, most raids result in people leaving. Or they just become a nothing-to-lose raider like me.

I had the big base and everything all made by me, even you couldn’t raid me with “unlimited” explosives because the full turrets simply wouldn’t let you get close. But then a mesh cheater had to ruin it all, now here i am raiding noobs because i’m tired of being mr. nice guy. 

Maybe it’s personalities but i just don’t feel excited when i raid people, if anything it makes me sad to see everything wasted and i probably made them leave Ark overall. 

Funny this sounds like me right now, minus the sad part maybe LOL.  I havne't don't alot of raids yet though tbh, but the ones I have raided I actually feel deserved it. Think about it, they choose PVP but then build a base on the beach or near a popular spot on the map with basically no defenses?  To me that's just asking to be raided and it can only help them by abligiing.

Can't think of one raid that was more brutal then the last lol. So before you read my script warning it's not about raiding someone just trying to get a fellow tribe member to quit.

So back before the turret cap destroyed no tek no tame I was with The Mongolian Mafia on Ps4 island server, people said we were alphas or whatever and supposedly there are a few YouTube videos of people attempting to raid our compound. But we had a tribe member that was a real scum bag, he was beyond anything most people could imagine. He wasn't exactly good at the game but what he had was deep pockets, yes he would use real currency to buy people's allegiances, mercenaries if you will. Well for that reason no matter how much gear or resources he would steal nobody would call him out, other than this guy right here, I was always blocked by him in tribe chat lol. So everyone would punch him while he was logged off lol and boy oh boy would he be butt hurt, he would log then complain about being knocked out for a half hour and blame everyone but me? Well I was the worst for it because while everyone else was running by punching him, I would strip him of his armour "why break it so he can use more stolen resources to fix it" then pump him full of tranq darts to an inch of his life. Wait for his health to slowly return and repeat the same process all over lol, he never did quit unfortunately.

Unfortunately 99.9% of all raids are done while the defending tribes are offline. Most of the time I never attack unless attacked first so I spend a lot of time doing guerilla warfare on whatever alpha wiped my base while I was offline. But I recall one particular time when a bone-headed tribe of 5 kept trying to attack me and my base. I kept trapping them all with bolas before they could kill me or knock me out. It was pretty funny because they thought for sure they should be able to take just one guy when they had 5. I'd kill them and take all their stuff or tranq them and drag them out in the water to drown. You could just see them all go into blind rage mode because after awhile they just kept coming and coming and never took a break to make a better plan or anything. The whole tribe just rage quit after about 30 to 45 minutes. So I found their base and demolished everything. :D

I've been insided, cheated, lied to, offlined a dozen times, meshed and foundation wiped twice.  Heck there was even this one chick in my tribe who wanted to meet me irl, when I turned her down I logged in to an empty cryofridge.  Now I just fool around out of a 4x4 with only a wild tamed argy, anky, and a few pteras.  It's all you really need to be honest.  I hop back and forth between pvp and pve so I can experience the other side when I get bored with the current game.  You don't need tek turrets or gigas.  You can do way more damage with a grappling hook, a good shield, and some c4

This story isn’t really brutal but it’s a reason why I’ll never play on a unofficial PvP server that has rules.

So this server had a grace period rule for new players. The host had admin friends in other tribes. They attacked us in that grace period, ignoring their own server rules. We questioned the host who said he would enforce the rules and speak to his admins - he didn’t.

As a result we attacked everyone on sight (we we very explosive friendly) but never touched a “trade only” tribe. Out of everyone, the traders then teamed with the admins to offline attack us one night but they made the mistake of not wiping us. The next day we took everything we had and wiped the traders. It felt even better because they were almost defenceless except for a few plant X but our rockets made short work of them because we spared no expensive.

I can still remember the chat blowing up because they were online but not at base as we killed every one of their passives and believe me this wasn’t a claim, their dinos really weren’t fighting back as they ate rockets.

We were banned lol but this was way back on console where server back ups are non existent.

25 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

So this server had a grace period rule for new players. The host had admin friends in other tribes. They attacked us in that grace period, ignoring their own server rules. We questioned the host who said he would enforce the rules and speak to his admins - he didn’t.

As a result we attacked everyone on sight (we we very explosive friendly) but never touched a “trade only” tribe. Out of everyone, the traders then teamed with the admins to offline attack us one night but they made the mistake of not wiping us. The next day we took everything we had and wiped the traders. It felt even better because they were almost defenceless except for a few plant X but our rockets made short work of them because we spared no expensive.

I can still remember the chat blowing up because they were online but not at base as we killed every one of their passives and believe me this wasn’t a claim, their dinos really weren’t fighting back as they ate rockets.

That blows...  But your recourse is 100% understandable.

My story (its not super-ruthless)  :

Unofficial PvP.  Playing a bit casually, rates were boosted so i was solo in a stone 2x2 with a few tames and some plants (very cramped).  A notorious tribe on server found my well-hidden little base, C4'd me, killed my tames of course, and I logged in to spawn-screen.  There was not a RULE about this for sure, but the server was just a bunch of survivors just having fun, with a pretty good community and a bit of active PvP (most people would KOS survivors and leave tames alone, just for some PvP goofing).  This one notorious tribe though lived to raid smalltime tribes, and no big deal, well within their rights because it is PvP.

It was well within my rights to make another base on a slight cliffside, and paint it the color of the cliff so it was nearly invisible.  Stayed there, they never found me.  I built up, bigger, got more tames, moved to a different spot and sprouted up an all-metal doublewall base with 5 heavy octo-turret towers (3k+ in each turret), 30K HP kentro guard dogs, internal turret towers with full coverage, internal HP pumped aggressive Troodon packs, and of course nice bred Purlovias peppering the yard.  I was very visible at that time of course, but I had also scouted low and fast on a Ptera and found them.

Flapped over to their base, covered with autoturrets, found a single "blind" spot (only covered with 2 turrets).  Parked away, ran up on foot shield up, C4, took down wall, I'm in their base.  Internal turret tower, sprinted past and sworded EXPOSED cables.  No power, no turrets, no problems:  Looks like the pros were screwed.  Got the lightning wyvern and laid waste to 40-50 tames packed in the building, set on neutral so I made it out alive with the wyvern but it was rough (350+ war-bred argies).  All storage un-pincoded, so just lootfest.  Took what I wanted (including a Fert Giga egg that was 210 melee, way better than my 170), popcorned the rest, and then I C4'd every structure that was not a wall, foundation, or ceiling.  Left a shell of a base, and left them (3 survivors) in cages within render of their base weighed with stone and cuffed.  Yes, they would naturally die but they would get to sit in it for a while, see the shell of their base and hopefully remember.

Their next login, they hopped over to Ab and Island, pulled dinos over, and immediately began testing our base for weakpoints.  They never found one (I am not GOOD, they were just terrible).  I let that go, and just chuckled at the tribelog full of their deaths as they hurled themselves against our defenses.  One of my tribemates built in the desert, out solo, and his base was HUGE.  His hatchroom was inexplicably blown into, with absolutely zero wall/ceiling breaches but the foundations in the center of the room were demo'd, and then a bunch of tames were hacked up (sadly, on passive).  After tracing the sequence of dino deaths and destruction we determined my tribemate was meshed by these dudes.  I then took the Giga I raised from their egg, hunted their base down, got around defenses, kited the whole of their dinos together and ate their dinos with the Giga from their own Giga line.  I then foundation-wiped their base, and returned to the shell I had left a while back (about 3-4 weeks) and used their own C4 to foundation-wipe the remnants as well.  They stayed on Ab for the rest of the time the cluster was active.

Unofficial cluster. 

Tribe on island was upset that their gates were being destroyed. Called me out as the culprit, as a tribe mate was attacking random beach boxes at the time. I tell them I never touched their gates, and that I never really leave Center all that much and that I've got better things to do than attack random gates. They call me a liar and call my tribe a bunch of p*ssies for offlining and running away as soon as a fight starts.

So what do I do? Grab a stack of C4, a cryo crap giga and a crap Ptera. They left the ceiling of their dino pen completely turretless. I drill down, steal 200 cryo tames (including their boss rex breed line and giga line), then chuck my crap giga into their pen on aggressive. I didnt have a saddle for it, was too lazy to make one, so I used it as a distraction to leave. 

After that, we stuck around for 4 hours killing them and their tames as they tried to take down a Vacuum Compartment FOB (s+, they can be placed on land for a fast FOB). Another tribe had to come to their aid and make it a legit 2v1, both in terms of tribes and players. Used their own dinos against them and kit farmed. 

They stopped being rude to us after that.

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 6:01 PM, MackTheKnife said:

You seem to lack the right mentality for PVP. In PVP you can't let feelings or emotions interfere with what has to be done. When you engage in PVP you have to leave your preconceived morals and ethics at the door and be prepared to use any legal means to achieve victory.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 3:12 AM, ThePryBar said:

Can't think of one raid that was more brutal then the last lol. So before you read my script warning it's not about raiding someone just trying to get a fellow tribe member to quit.

So back before the turret cap destroyed no tek no tame I was with The Mongolian Mafia on Ps4 island server, people said we were alphas or whatever and supposedly there are a few YouTube videos of people attempting to raid our compound. But we had a tribe member that was a real scum bag, he was beyond anything most people could imagine. He wasn't exactly good at the game but what he had was deep pockets, yes he would use real currency to buy people's allegiances, mercenaries if you will. Well for that reason no matter how much gear or resources he would steal nobody would call him out, other than this guy right here, I was always blocked by him in tribe chat lol. So everyone would punch him while he was logged off lol and boy oh boy would he be butt hurt, he would log then complain about being knocked out for a half hour and blame everyone but me? Well I was the worst for it because while everyone else was running by punching him, I would strip him of his armour "why break it so he can use more stolen resources to fix it" then pump him full of tranq darts to an inch of his life. Wait for his health to slowly return and repeat the same process all over lol, he never did quit unfortunately.

That guy sounds like a real trouble maker. In a large tribe people like that they aren't worth keeping around. The best way to deal with such individuals is a forced disappearance. Basically wait till he logs off then find his body (very important). Once you have located it, kill him and then boot him from the tribe, change all the pin codes and delete him from your steam/discord group. At the same time you'll want to invent a plausible reason why he was removed for the foot soldiers. I always use the lines that he was a spy for the enemy/insiding us and then relate any recent events which didn't go well as proof of this. If your tribe has personal rooms then it's always good idea to top up his lockers with lots of juicy valuables to add to the illusion.

When you make this move you also have to watch out for his buddies in the tribe, they may have sympathy for him.  You must ensure that his friends are deleted as well or made to cut ties with him. Since the latter is generally quite hard to do I normally prefer a good purge of all suspected friends. Better safe then sorry.

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:12 AM, Z0mbie said:

Unfortunately 99.9% of all raids are done while the defending tribes are offline. Most of the time I never attack unless attacked first so I spend a lot of time doing guerilla warfare on whatever alpha wiped my base while I was offline. But I recall one particular time when a bone-headed tribe of 5 kept trying to attack me and my base. I kept trapping them all with bolas before they could kill me or knock me out. It was pretty funny because they thought for sure they should be able to take just one guy when they had 5. I'd kill them and take all their stuff or tranq them and drag them out in the water to drown. You could just see them all go into blind rage mode because after awhile they just kept coming and coming and never took a break to make a better plan or anything. The whole tribe just rage quit after about 30 to 45 minutes. So I found their base and demolished everything. :D

That soft mentality is what is what is holding you back. One of the best ways to get ahead and save time in PVP is to raid bases. Nearly always you will get back far more in resources then you put into raiding it. It's just 4 grenades for a stone hut and the chances are there will be loads of material in side. 

I'm glad though you were able to hunt down that tribe and eliminate them. That is a step in the right direction. Now you must do the same against a tribe that hasn't attack you yet. Trust me the more you raid the easier it gets and the less qualms you will have about doing so.

These kinds of stories are why I run my own unofficial 6 map cluster.  PVE/PVP, offline damage turned off and damage to buildings/etc turned way, way down.

To each his own, I guess, but if I had to play this way, I believe I'd hit another game.  Great deal that WildCard made this game with unofficial and options to set it up as the server owner sees fit.

1 hour ago, Esquire1980 said:

These kinds of stories are why I run my own unofficial 6 map cluster.  PVE/PVP, offline damage turned off and damage to buildings/etc turned way, way down.

To each his own, I guess, but if I had to play this way, I believe I'd hit another game.  Great deal that WildCard made this game with unofficial and options to set it up as the server owner sees fit.

I'm a fan of turning building damage down, but addiing offline protection as well? That's going a bit too far IMO. Might as well play PVE.

49 minutes ago, Melcreif said:

I'm a fan of turning building damage down, but addiing offline protection as well? That's going a bit too far IMO. Might as well play PVE.

I wish there was a way to turn building damage way down (maybe 6x or 10x), but keep damage to doors vanilla. I think it'd be a neat experiment to see how raid styles change.

5 minutes ago, RasFW said:

I wish there was a way to turn building damage way down (maybe 6x or 10x), but keep damage to doors vanilla. I think it'd be a neat experiment to see how raid styles change.

I agree that would be interesting.  Folks would certainly make sure the front door was where they kept all their defenses for sure.

5 hours ago, Esquire1980 said:

That's why I went back to PvE.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, I am not built for PvP.  As @ForzaProiettile said, you have to be able to set aside emotions and do what must be done, and that includes wiping out days and days of work that belongs to someone else.  In the moment I found I could justify that kind of stuff, but after the fact it would bug me regardless of what a sausage the other tribe was.

But that is one of the reasons ARK still has all our attention like it does.  Despite the bugs, glitches, and so much more, having to commit so much to this game takes you higher or lower than any other game I have played, even on the PvE side.  PvP just brings a whole new depth to the joy or misery that ARK can provide.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived