Ark isn’t dead

SaltyMonkey

1 minute ago, Aylana314159 said:

The whole point and success of Ark is that there isn't 1 audience. It appeals to tons of different gamers. 

True but there is something they really need to define and that is the point and purpose of every dinosaur. At present there a lot of dinosaurs that seemingly have no valid use unless your some noob or roleplayer. A lot of dinosaurs are easily outclassed by other ones even though the ones that clearly beat them are barely even harder to tame/acquire.

10 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

True but there is something they really need to define and that is the point and purpose of every dinosaur. At present there a lot of dinosaurs that seemingly have no valid use unless your some noob or roleplayer. A lot of dinosaurs are easily outclassed by other ones even though the ones that clearly beat them are barely even harder to tame/acquire.

I said this in another thread. WC really needs to figure out strengths and weaknesses.

10 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

"Some noob"'? 'Noobs' represent new blood to the game. You don't become a seasoned player without becoming a 'noob' first - period. If they want the game to have any life at all past the early access they need to have the varying levels of dinos so new players can escalate themselves. Frankly, its the attitude of looking down on noobs that kills games early.

Of course some dinos will outclass others... its the way it has to be to support varying level of experience ( 'survival skill'). 

1 hour ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Its a sandbox survival game man, not Overwatch. Thats the point of ARK - there is no point outside layed out progession (bosses / ascension) even PVP is completely Sandbox..

Just because it's a sandbox does not mean it can't be defined as pvp or pve

Conan exiles and Fallout 76 were both billed as pvp survival sandboxes, but neither were they are PvE games with elements of PvP. If the creators said what they were to start with many people would not have wasted their money on them. I am a consumer not a mind reader and I do expect some honesty from the developers. Greed is not an good excuse.

7 hours ago, ThePryBar said:

Just because it's a sandbox does not mean it can't be defined as pvp or pve

Conan exiles and Fallout 76 were both billed as pvp survival sandboxes, but neither were they are PvE games with elements of PvP. If the creators said what they were to start with many people would not have wasted their money on them. I am a consumer not a mind reader and I do expect some honesty from the developers. Greed is not an good excuse.

It has both PvP and PvE modes, why do you need definition? Why do you need the developers of a sandbox game to tell you how to play, defeats the point doesn’t it?

This is a fully customisable game, with an official game mode but the emphasis is on unofficial due to the sheer amount of settings, and big focus on mods. Only people in denial claim this game was built for people to only play official. And this my friend is why the game isn’t dead, only official will die.

12 hours ago, ForzaProiettile said:

I wouldn't say its quite dead but Extinction failed to be the spark that was meant to reignite everything. Lets face it Extinction was a heap of junk that broke the game in many ways and added nothing really of value to it.

I suspect that the developers have already moved on to the planning of a sequel or maybe even other games. The sequel will be a challenge because this game already has heaps of dinos albeit most of them are useless so they won't be able to go down the same route of simply spamming us with new dinosaurs they will need something new and innovative if they want to capture players attentions once more.

Agreed. Extinction was not very good. Even on a very boosted pvp, my base was destroyed by corrupted animals. I think they only good thing that came out around that time for me was Cryopods and the Snow Owl. Otherwise it was a complete waste.

If you do an optimization to pvp or pve it affects both because how the game was designed, it was meant to be one of the two not both at once. This is why game titles that have been around for decades continue to thrive because they know their audience and build their games to that specific audience. And no what made ark popular is the fact that it's probably one of the only games where when you log off your character and your stuff stays on the game, not teleported to another demension.

Sandbox just lets you have freedom that's all, not being confined to a set game area or a certain build style, it allows creativity. Saying the game can't be defined because it is a sandbox is a crap argument to make.

7 minutes ago, ThePryBar said:

[SNIP] And no what made ark popular is the fact that it's probably one of the only games where when you log off your character and your stuff stays on the game, not teleported to another demension.

Sandbox just lets you have freedom that's all, not being confined to a set game area or a certain build style, it allows creativity. Saying the game can't be defined because it is a sandbox is a crap argument to make.

Going to disagree with you here. The fact that you stay and your stuff stays is what turned me off for awhile. When you have to "work" at a game and keep logging in to keep your stuff alive is a pain, I work at work. Hence I left Archage....lost my plots as I was away for work in Africa for 3 months and no way to pay the upkeep.

The game can be defined but this one shouldn't.  It always was PvP and PvE depending on what server you chose.  In the beginning we had PvPvE servers where you could only PvP in certain areas. Took a fair amount of admin work but was fun and doable with Ark

Regarding Dinos I like my Trikes I always will why should I move up to a "better" dino because the game says I must? I can use my Trike as a berry collector, Attack Dino, hauler, basically anything. There are plenty of games out there that I, personally, stopped playing because I was forced to move to a more"powerful" item that I didn't want. EVE lets you stay in a smaller ship and be faster if that's what you want and is one of the longest running games out there (true for other reasons also).  You can use a smaller ship to take out a larger one if you are skilled and have the upgrades.

Personally I would stop playing if it was Strength / Weakness Dinos and items. Imagine how boring it would be if your Sword did half damage if the opposition had a shield or the Pike did double damage if you standing still.

Battlefield is a defined pvp mmo sandbox. World of war craft is a defined pve mmo sandbox. Both games allow you to play both modes at the same time, you can drive a jeep wherever you want in battlefield and not engage in any pvp, WoW you can flag yourself for pvp anywhere or join a battleground. Both games have nearly been around for 20 years and are still popular, why because they know their audience and cater to that audience. I bought battlefield case I know that it is a pvp sandbox. Just like how I bought WoW knowing that it is a pve dungeon crawler. Game designers don't have to pay homage to both and shouldn't be forced to bend when people who bought the game thinking it was one thing but is in fact is another.

Archived